Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 15 Jan '17 21:40 / 1 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/15/the-guardian-view-on-american-christianity-change-and-decay

    "The Guardian view on American Christianity: change and decay:
    Market-driven Christianity has boomed in the US but now it is beginning to bust "

    "Is Christianity ceasing to matter in the US? The question might seem
    absurd in the light of statistics that show a country which still publicly
    respects religion to an extent difficult for a European to imagine. Fewer
    than a third of all Americans admit that they seldom or never go to
    church. There is only one member of Congress who claims to have no
    religion, and every single congressional Republican identifies as a
    Christian except for two Orthodox Jews. But there are good reasons to
    suppose that these figures are misleading, and the role of Christianity as
    part of the social and political convulsions of the country today is
    changing and diminishing in important ways.

    Traditional American Christianity was shaped by British experience in
    the 17th and 18th centuries: it was Protestant, patriotic, and providential,
    but not much concerned with doctrine. The rejection of any religious
    establishment opened the way for competition between individual
    churches and then produced the extraordinary organisational and
    theological creativity that distinguished the US from all previous
    Christian societies. America seemed to some observers to provide the
    unquestioned future of religion in a globalised world. There was, and is,
    a church for every possible niche, from Unitarian Universalists to the
    Westboro Baptists.

    The price of this exuberance was doctrinal incoherence. If there is a
    Christianity for everyone, Christianity can mean almost anything, and
    this has effects that ripple out far beyond believers. A religion that is
    responsive to the pressures of the market will end up profoundly
    fractured, with each denomination finding most hateful to God the sins
    that least tempt its members, while those sins that are most popular
    become redefined and even sanctified. In the end, a market-driven
    religion gives rise to a market-driven approach to truth, and this
    development ultimately eviscerated conservative Christianity in the US
    and left it the possession of hypocrites and hucksters.

    There were churches on both sides of the civil war, and churches on
    both sides of the civil rights struggle. Martin Luther King observed that
    America was never more segregated than on a Sunday morning. These
    racial divisions carried over and even deepened in the culture wars of
    recent decades. White evangelical churches defined themselves against
    a coastal elite. The strategy was electorally successful for decades, but
    at a high price. It is absolutely clear from the presidential election results
    that white evangelical Protestants voted overwhelmingly for Donald
    Trump, but they could not deliver the popular vote. The Catholic church
    in the US is increasingly Hispanic. Pope Francis has come close to
    declaring that Mr Trump is not a Christian at all – a Christian should
    build bridges, and not walls, he said last year.

    Meanwhile, the close identification of evangelical Christianity with the
    Republican party, and with the rejection of evolution, climate science
    and sexual equality, has repelled young people and may have
    accelerated a long trend of decline between generations that looks
    inexorable. More than a third of Americans under 50 now say they have
    no religion. Some even call themselves atheists, long the most
    distrusted minority in the US, who now outnumber Mormons.
    Change is going to come."
  2. 15 Jan '17 22:01
    Any idiot should be able to see that US Christianity is dead as far as mainstream culture goes.
  3. 15 Jan '17 22:08
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Any idiot should be able to see that US Christianity is dead as far as mainstream culture goes.
    Taking God and morals out of the schools and making illicit drugs legal around the country is finally paying dividends for Dims it seems.
  4. 15 Jan '17 22:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    Taking God and morals out of the schools and making illicit drugs legal around the country is finally paying dividends for Dims it seems.
    I think we have given the leftists a generation.
  5. 15 Jan '17 23:08 / 1 edit
    Eladar and Whodey might be happy to know that, in addition to approving of genocide
    against the Roma (Eladar and Whodey apparently want all non-white people out of Europe),
    Hitler also was strongly 'pro-life', condemning and harshly punishing abortion in most cases.
    Hitler also shared Eladar's and Whodey's obsessive hatred of 'leftists'.
  6. 15 Jan '17 23:25
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Eladar and Whodey might be happy to know that, in addition to approving of genocide
    against the Roma (Eladar and Whodey apparently want all non-white people out of Europe),
    Hitler also was strongly 'pro-life', condemning and harshly punishing abortion in most cases.
    Hitler also shared Eladar's and Whodey's obsessive hatred of 'leftists'.
    Why was Hitler pro life?

    You are so shallow.
  7. 15 Jan '17 23:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Why was Hitler pro life?

    You are so shallow.
    Hitler was only prolife when it came to the Aryan race because he saw them as an asset, not a hindrance like the left sees the unborn today.

    All others Hitler wanted dead, including abortion.
  8. 15 Jan '17 23:41
    Originally posted by whodey
    Hitler was only prolife when it came to the Aryan race because he saw them as an asset, not a hindrance like the left sees the unborn today.

    All others Hitler wanted dead, including abortion.
    He saw every male baby as a soldier in his army. He saw every female as breeding stock for his army.

    As you pointed out, he would be all for abortions of all other i ferior races, except the one worthy of being slaves.

    Hitler would be all for planned Parenthood.
  9. 15 Jan '17 23:56 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    He saw every male baby as a soldier in his army. He saw every female as breeding stock for his army.
    As you pointed out, he would be all for abortions of all other i ferior races, except the one worthy of being slaves.

    Hitler would be all for planned Parenthood.
    While Eladar and Whodey might not have identical beliefs to Hitler's, they have sexism in common.
    Like Eladar and Whodey, Hitler loathed feminism and opposed women's rights.
    In 1943, the death penalty was imposed for providing an abortion to an 'Aryan' woman.

    "Hitler would be all for planned Parenthood."
    --Eladar

    Can Eladar cite any evidence that Hitler approved of such 'family planning' clinics in the Third Reich?
  10. 16 Jan '17 00:10
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    While Eladar and Whodey might not have identical beliefs to Hitler's, they have sexism in common.
    Like Eladar and Whodey, Hitler loathed feminism and opposed women's rights.
    In 1943, the death penalty was imposed for providing an abortion to an 'Aryan' woman.

    "Hitler would be all for planned Parenthood."
    --Eladar

    Can Eladar cite any evidence that Hitler approved of such 'family planning' clinics in the Third Reich?
    Planned Parenthood is in the US moron. He would have loved to see the mongrel race aborted, especially blacks.

    For someone who is supposed to be smart you are pretty stupid.
  11. 16 Jan '17 00:36
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Planned Parenthood is in the US moron. He would have loved to see the mongrel race aborted, especially blacks.

    For someone who is supposed to be smart you are pretty stupid.
    I already knew that Planned Parenthood is in the USA. I interpreted Eladar's comment to
    mean that he claimed that Hitler approved of Planned Parenthood-like clinics in the Third Reich.
    Eladar can cite no evidence in support of it, so now he claims to have meant something else.

    Although Hitler had racist disdain for black Africans' lives, there's no evidence that he
    intended an immediate genocide of black Africans, who would be a useful source of labour.
    When captured as POWs, black African colonial soldiers (who had fought for the British
    or French) tended to be utilized as labour rather than being immediately executed.

    I know of a black South African who became the valet of a famous Luftwaffe fighter ace
    (who had liberal views) and was treated by the Germans almost as if he were one of them.
    Many years after the war, members of his former Luftwaffe unit paid his way from South
    Africa to attend a reunion in Germany. Apparently, he believed that he had experienced
    less racism (he was lucky) from the Germans than from white South Africans.

    Hitler had a dream of reclaiming Germany's colonial possessions (lost in the First World War) in Africa.
    German East Africa was considered 'the jewel in the crown' of Germany's overseas empire.
    In the First World War, the German general Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck led the Schutztruppe
    (a force of mostly black African soldiers) in a remarkable campaign of resistance against the Allies.
    The Schutztruppe was perhaps the first modern Western army to be racially integrated between blacks and whites.
    (In some cases, a black sergeant could issue orders to a white private and expect to be obeyed.)
    General von Lettow-Vorbeck had promised his best black soldiers that they would have
    the honor of being invited to march in a (hypothetical) victory parade in Berlin.
    And I suspect that his black soldiers would have won many Berliners' hearts in much
    the same way that the Gurkhas (from Nepal) had won the hearts of many British people.
  12. 16 Jan '17 00:38
    You misinterpretted my comment about planned Parenthood because you are a simpleton.
  13. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    16 Jan '17 05:43
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Planned Parenthood is in the US moron. He would have loved to see the mongrel race aborted, especially blacks.

    For someone who is supposed to be smart you are pretty stupid.
    And you call yourself a Christian.
  14. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    16 Jan '17 05:44
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You misinterpretted my comment about planned Parenthood because you are a simpleton.
    Maybe it is because you are nearly illiterate.
  15. 16 Jan '17 22:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/15/the-guardian-view-on-american-christianity-change-and-decay

    "The Guardian view on American Christianity: change and decay:
    Market-driven Christianity has boomed in the US but now it is beginning to bust "

    "Is Christianity ceasing to matter in the US? The question might seem
    absurd in the light ...[text shortened]... the most
    distrusted minority in the US, who now outnumber Mormons.
    Change is going to come."
    This is the inevitable consequence of religion no longer having any meaning for people. I suspect that in America the erosion has taken longer because it initially had a very robust religious fabric. The purity of original Christianity with its focus on self sacrifice and being content with 'sustenance and covering' was swallowed up by another ideology of self interest which has been construed as, 'personal freedom'.