1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 14:50
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Here are the top ten worst lies told by Biden during the debate:

Update - Honorable Mention: "There's not one Democrat who endorsed his...plan." Biden lied--as Ryan pointed out, amidst the Vice President's interruptions--about the fact that Ryan had worked with both Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon and former Clinton budget director Alice Rivli ...[text shortened]... en-Worst-Lies-by-Joe-Biden-in-VP-Debate
    How exactly does cutting $716 billion in excess payments to Medicare providers "hurt[s]....... the program's solvency"?
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 15:06
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    How exactly does cutting $716 billion in excess payments to Medicare providers "hurt[s]....... the program's solvency"?
    Possibly by decreasing the number of providers that will continue to accept Medicare.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 15:16
    Originally posted by sh76
    Possibly by decreasing the number of providers that will continue to accept Medicare.
    How would that "hurt the program's solvency" even if it were true?
  4. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 15:21
    It is true that providers have been dropping medicare patients.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 15:25
    That's true; "solvency" is bad phraseology. Utility or effectiveness would have been better.

It is possible that fewer people would pay their Medicare premiums if their providers would refuse to accept Medicare in any case, but I would tend to agree that this is unlikely given that even if relying on supplemental insurance, most seniors would keep Medicare for hospitalizations.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 15:27
    Originally posted by dryhump
    It is true that providers have been dropping medicare patients.
    Who cares? There are plenty of providers for Medicare patients and will be regardless of the cuts in excess payments; treating the elderly is where the money is in health care.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 15:29
    US health care is renowned for its inefficiency and huge profit margins, so it seems unlikely health care providers would exit the market because there is no money in it if they make slightly less profits.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 15:29
    That's true; "solvency" is bad phraseology. Utility or effectiveness would have been better.

It is possible that fewer people would pay their Medicare premiums if their providers would refuse to accept Medicare in any case, but I would tend to agree that this is unlikely given that even if relying on supplemental insurance, most seniors would keep Medicare for hospitalizations.
    The program's solvency is in danger because of medical costs that keep increasing well above any economic standard like wages paid, inflation, etc. Limiting payments is an essential step to restore the program's solvency; in no way does it hurt that.
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 15:40
    Im not going to copy/paste but you can go to this link at Forbes that breaks it down pretty good.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2012/08/16/fact-checking-the-obama-campaigns-defense-of-its-716-billion-cut-to-medicare/
  10. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 16:12
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Im not going to copy/paste but you can go to this link at Forbes that breaks it down pretty good.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2012/08/16/fact-checking-the-obama-campaigns-defense-of-its-716-billion-cut-to-medicare/
    Good article.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 16:21
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    US health care is renowned for its inefficiency and huge profit margins, so it seems unlikely health care providers would exit the market because there is no money in it if they make slightly less profits.
    For Medicare this is perhaps true, because treating the elderly is so lucrative. But as a concept, that is incorrect, as there are many, many providers who refuse Medicaid patients due to low profits. In my community, I would estimate the number of doctors who refuse Medicaid patients to be about 50%.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 16:39
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Good article.
    Nothing in that article supports the assertion that the so-called "cuts" would "hurt ...... the program's solvency".
  13. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 16:40
    For Medicare this is perhaps true, because treating the elderly is so lucrative. But as a concept, that is incorrect, as there are many, many providers who refuse Medicaid patients due to low profits. In my community, I would estimate the number of doctors who refuse Medicaid patients to be about 50%.
    A link in Uther's article leads to another good article on this subject.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2012/08/20/how-obamacares-716-billion-in-cuts-will-drive-doctors-out-of-medicare/
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 16:41
    So what? It's a free country, if doctors don't want to make money they don't have to. There's no shortage of doctors and health providers for Medicaid patients.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 16:411 edit
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    A link in Uther's article leads to another good article on this subject.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2012/08/20/how-obamacares-716-billion-in-cuts-will-drive-doctors-out-of-medicare/
    😴😴

A bunch of anecdotes from a Romney policy advisor isn't very convincing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree