1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 07:251 edit
    Thomas Aquinas once said: "Sorrow can be alleviated good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine" With this in mind, I am beginning to think the Psych field, while it has some limited uses in extreme cases is largely overrated. Frankly I've never heard of a psychiatrist, psychologist, therapist, or counselor curing anyone of anything. Any thoughts?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 10:47
    Yep. All that those millions of people who suffer from severe depression need is "good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine".

Some guy said it, so it must be true.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 11:01
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I've never heard of a psychologist, therapist, or counselor curing anyone of anything.
    Perhaps you've not been listening in the right places.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 15:463 edits
    Thomas Aquinas once said: "Sorrow can be alleviated good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine" With this in mind, I am beginning to think the Psych field, while it has some limited uses in extreme cases is largely overrated. Frankly I've never heard of a psychiatrist, psychologist, therapist, or counselor curing anyone of anything. Any thoughts?
    Many of the symptoms associated with mental health cannot be cured and thus psychiatrists and others are trained to deal with and if possible arrest the symptoms. If truth be told its a bit jiggery pokery for what may work for one person may have little or even a negative effect on another. Its a vast field though, possibly misunderstood and suffering from a very poor reputation from the past.

There was a huge Victorian Asylum where my parents house is and we used to visit the patients regularly simply for something to do. My friends dad was the head psychiatrist and we thought him more 'tainted' than many of the patients,. There were people traumatised by the second world war. There was a man you could actually control by barking orders at him, You could get him to march, turn left, halt and present imaginary arms. There were hippies whose minds were baked from taking too much acid in the sixties. Occasionally a patient would stray onto a railway line and that would be it all over for them or jump from a particular high bridge in the hospital grounds. In Victorian times women were incarcerated if they had a child out of wedlock and were of sufficient status for it to be considered scandalous, before that they were taken to an Island in the middle of Loch Lomond. Crazee times!
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 16:20
    Inexact and not always effective, perhaps, but many people are helped by psychotherapy.

People may not be "cured" but they may learn to cope or compensate.

I'd say the psych field is useful. Overrated? Well, it depends on how highly one rates it.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 16:46
    Their meds can keep schizophrenics sane.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 16:54
    What works for one person won't work for all.

Each of us tends to believe that everyone is really just very much like ourselves.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 00:50
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    Their meds can keep schizophrenics sane.
    ... sometimes ...
  9. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 02:09
    Add Lithium, some good pot and some electro therapy. It's all good. Ask Jack Nicholson

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree