Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member vivify
    rain
    20 Apr '17 02:28 / 1 edit
    http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/katy-perrys-seasame-street-segment-pulled-because-of-her-cleavage-2010239

    Katy Perry's appearance on the long-running PBS children's show has been pulled after parents complained about the singer's cleavage-baring dress.

    A clip leaked on the web this week (nearly a million people have viewed it on YouTube), showing Perry, 25, in a low-cut dress and veil, performing a kid-friendly version of her hit "Hot N Cold" with Elmo.

    It was set to air later this year as part of the show's 41st season.

    TMZ reports that parents quickly fired off angry letters, demanding it not to be broadcast. "They're gonna have to rename it cleavage avenue," complained one.

    Some defended the clip. One commenter wrote: "If your kid is saying things like: boobs!..it’s because of the family not because of Katy! I mean the family is the one who educate the kids! No one else is responsible of that!"

    But a Sesame Street spokesperson issued a statement to UsMagazine.com early Thursday morning, deciding to side with the angry viewers:

    "Sesame Street has a long history of working with celebrities across all genres, including athletes, actors, musicians and artists. Sesame Street has always been written on two levels, for the child and adult. We use parodies and celebrity segments to interest adults in the show because we know that a child learns best when co-viewing with a parent or care-giver. We also value our viewer’s opinions and particularly those of parents. In light of the feedback we’ve received on the Katy Perry music video which was released on You Tube only, we have decided we will not air the segment on the television broadcast of Sesame Street, which is aimed at preschoolers. Katy Perry fans will still be able to view the video on You Tube."
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    20 Apr '17 02:30 / 3 edits
    A few years ago, Katy Perry guest-starred on Sesame Street, a program for children. As is common for pop stars appearing on the show, she sang a modified version of one her hits.

    This particular appearance made the news because parents protested the outfit she wore on the show, which apparently was too low-cut for their tastes. The segment, which can be seen below, has since been banned from Sesame Street, and cannot be found on their channel.

    YouTube : Katy Perry

    Two questions:

    1. Were the reactions of the parents sexist?
    2, Would it be sexist for Sesame Street to impose rules regarding how low-cut their female guest stars can wear their outfits?

    Before you answer, take a look at this same video again; the link below goes straight to a part of the video believed to best illustrate what parents were upset about:

    https://youtu.be/YHROHJlU_Ng?t=1m41s
  3. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    20 Apr '17 02:41
    Originally posted by vivify
    A few years ago, Katy Perry guest-starred on Sesame Street, a program for children. As is common for pop stars appearing on the show, she sang a modified version of one her hits.

    This particular appearance made the news because parents protested the outfit she wore on the show, which apparently was too low-cut for their tastes. The segment, which can b ...[text shortened]... lieved to best illustrate what parents were upset about:

    https://youtu.be/YHROHJlU_Ng?t=1m41s
    Katy Perry had a video which seemed to be directly aimed at children just within the last few years.
    Hot dogs, ice cream, pizza... all the good stuff.
    Even started and ended with a pedo watching outside from a window.
    Good family fare.
  4. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    20 Apr '17 02:49
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/katy-perrys-seasame-street-segment-pulled-because-of-her-cleavage-2010239

    Katy Perry's appearance on the long-running PBS children's show has been pulled after parents complained about the singer's cleavage-baring dress.

    A clip leaked on the web this week (nearly a million people have viewed it on YouT ...[text shortened]... imed at preschoolers. Katy Perry fans will still be able to view the video on You Tube."
    And here's big bird and the cookie monster wandering about naked.
  5. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    20 Apr '17 02:55 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Katy Perry had a video which seemed to be directly aimed at children just within the last few years.
    Hot dogs, ice cream, pizza... all the good stuff.
    Even started and ended with a pedo watching outside from a window.
    Good family fare.
    Here's the lyrics for the song...

    Sipping on rosé, sipping on sun, coming up all lazy
    Slow cooking pancakes for my boy, still up, still fresh, as a daisy
    Playing ping pong all night long, everything's on me and then hazy
    Chanel this, Chanel that, hell yeah
    All the girls vintage Chanel baby

    It's no big deal, it's no big deal, it's no big deal
    This is no big deal

    This is how we do, yeah, chilling, laid back
    Straight stuntin’ ya we do it like that
    This is how we do, do do, this is how we do
    This is how we do, yeah, chilling, laid back
    Straight stuntin’ ya we do it like that
    This is how we do, do do, this is how we do

    Big hoops, and the room leaves, my click happening, my Maseratti
    Said to Barbara, chique, at the super rica, grabbing tacos, checking out hotties
    Now we talking astrology, getting our nails did, all Japanese-y
    Day drinking at the Wildcats, sucking real bad at Mariah karaoke

    It's no big deal, it's no big deal, it's no big deal
    This is no big deal

    This is how we do, yeah, chilling, laid back
    Straight stuntin’ ya we do it like that
    This is how we do, do do, this is how we do
    This is how we do, yeah, chilling, laid back
    Straight stuntin’ ya we do it like that
    This is how we do, do do, this is how we do

    This one goes out to ladies, at breakfast, in last night's dress
    Uh-huh, I see you
    Yo, this goes out to all you kids that still have their cars at the club valet and it's Tuesday
    Yo, shout out to all you kids, buying bottle service, with your rent money
    Respect

    This is how we do, yeah, chilling, laid back
    Straight stuntin’ ya we do it like that
    This is how we do, do do, this is how we do
    This is how we do, yeah, chilling, laid back
    Straight stuntin’ ya we do it like that
    This is how we do, do do, this is how we do

    This is how we do
    This goes out to all you people going bed with a ten and waking up with a two
    This is how we do
    Ha, not me

    This is how we do, yeah, chilling, laid back
    Straight stuntin’ ya we do it like that
    This is how we do, do do, this is how we do

    What? Wait. No, no, no
    Bring the beat back, that's right


    YouTube

    Connection?
    Nonsensical, start to finish.
    So what's up with all the pizza references...
  6. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    20 Apr '17 04:01
    Originally posted by vivify
    A few years ago, Katy Perry guest-starred on Sesame Street, a program for children. As is common for pop stars appearing on the show, she sang a modified version of one her hits.

    This particular appearance made the news because parents protested the outfit she wore on the show, which apparently was too low-cut for their tastes. The segment, which can b ...[text shortened]... lieved to best illustrate what parents were upset about:

    https://youtu.be/YHROHJlU_Ng?t=1m41s
    1. Were the reactions of the parents sexist?

    If by 'parents' you mean both men and women (mommys and daddys) then it doesn't make sense to ask if they were being sexist.

    Just for fun (a thought experiment in the interest of science) let's say only the mommy's were complaining, but all the daddys were okay with it...

    Seriously though, if the target audience of a show are little kids, the producers necessarily need the approval of the parents (of that target audience) for their show to remain popular or even stay on the air.
  7. 20 Apr '17 04:28
    Originally posted by vivify
    Two questions:

    1. Were the reactions of the parents sexist?
    2, Would it be sexist for Sesame Street to impose rules regarding how low-cut their female guest stars can wear their outfits?
    Yes, and yes.
    All cultural norms about dress codes are sexist, as in they differ between the sexes. That doesn't mean they are wrong.
  8. 20 Apr '17 04:28
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    If by 'parents' you mean both men and women (mommys and daddys) then it doesn't make sense to ask if they were being sexist.

    Just for fun (a thought experiment in the interest of science) let's say only the mommy's were complaining, but all the daddys were okay with it...
    Women can be sexist too. What dictionary did you use?
  9. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    20 Apr '17 04:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Women can be sexist too. What dictionary did you use?
    I didn't say they couldn't. But if the the criticism is directed toward both men and women over the same issue, then what particular definition of sexism are you talking about?

    And don't be afraid to simply make up your own definition, because that's how politically correct madness begins in the first place... there is literally nothing in existence so innocuous you cannot be offended by it if you put your mind to it.

    YouTube
  10. 20 Apr '17 08:33 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    A few years ago, Katy Perry guest-starred on Sesame Street, a program for children. As is common for pop stars appearing on the show, she sang a modified version of one her hits.

    This particular appearance made the news because parents protested the outfit she wore on the show, which apparently was too low-cut for their tastes. The segment, which can b ...[text shortened]... lieved to best illustrate what parents were upset about:

    https://youtu.be/YHROHJlU_Ng?t=1m41s
    was she forced to wear that cleavage ? was she coerced, coaxed in any way? if not, it's not sexist.

    one of the main points of feminism is to empower women to not have to conform to other people's expectations of how they should act, dress, speak. if she wants to display cleavage, good for her.


    you can discuss on the other hand if the parents were sexist.
    one could argue that telling a woman what to do is sexist. another could argue that they only did that because of an idiotic code of morality that has nothing to do with her gender and they would have done the same if Brad Pitt appeared in a banana hammock.
  11. Standard member vivify
    rain
    20 Apr '17 10:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes, and yes.
    All cultural norms about dress codes are sexist, as in they differ between the sexes. That doesn't mean they are wrong.
    Then we need a new definition for standards and practices that are unfair or harmful to a specific gender, rather than standards that merely apply to one gender.
  12. 20 Apr '17 10:49
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I didn't say they couldn't. But if the the criticism is directed toward both men and women over the same issue, then what particular definition of sexism are you talking about?
    The standard one.
    prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

    And don't be afraid to simply make up your own definition, because that's how politically correct madness begins in the first place... there is literally nothing in existence so innocuous you cannot be offended by it if you put your mind to it.
    It is noted that you were unable to produce a definition yourself, but instead chose to try and preempt me making one up.
  13. 20 Apr '17 10:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Here's the lyrics for the song...

    [i]Sipping on rosé, sipping on sun, coming up all lazy
    Slow cooking pancakes for my boy, still up, still fresh, as a daisy
    Playing ping pong all night long, everything's on me and then hazy
    Chanel this, Chanel that, hell yeah
    All the girls vintage Chanel baby

    It's no big deal, it's no big deal, it's no big deal
    ...[text shortened]... be]

    Connection?
    Nonsensical, start to finish.
    So what's up with all the pizza references...
    My goodness its worse that I even imagined, that's simply pure bilge. How the heck did she get famous? ok . . .her boobs.
  14. 20 Apr '17 10:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    was she forced to wear that cleavage ? was she coerced, coaxed in any way? if not, it's not sexist.
    How on earth did you come to that ridiculous conclusion? By removing her from there air, she is in fact forced not to wear that cleavage on air. But sexism doesn't have to involve forcing someone to wear or not wear something, so the conclusion is illogical.

    you can discuss on the other hand if the parents were sexist.
    That WAS the question being asked in 1.

    one could argue that telling a woman what to do is sexist. another could argue that they only did that because of an idiotic code of morality that has nothing to do with her gender and they would have done the same if Brad Pitt appeared in a banana hammock.
    Whatever 'one could argue', the fact remains that her gender was a most definite part of the particular 'code of morality' involved.
  15. 20 Apr '17 10:57
    Originally posted by vivify
    Then we need a new definition for standards and practices that are unfair or harmful to a specific gender, rather than standards that merely apply to one gender.
    The dictionary definition does lean towards it being unfair or harmful to a specific gender.