1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 16:16
    The CIA under the Trump administration planned to kidnap and assassinate WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/sep/27/senior-cia-officials-trump-discussed-assassinating-julian-assange

https://www.democracynow.org/2021/9/28/cia_julian_assange_assassination_plot

Is Trump innocent of Mike Pompeo and the CIA planning to do that under Trump? Surely he didn't know about it, right?
    Where does the buck stop?
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    24 Nov '22 03:01
    @metal-brain said
    The CIA under the Trump administration planned to kidnap and assassinate WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/sep/27/senior-cia-officials-trump-discussed-assassinating-julian-assange

Is Trump innocent of Mike Pompeo and the CIA planning to do that under Trump? Surely he didn't know about it, right?
    One would presume that a secret service works autonomously from direct political influence.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Nov '22 07:591 edit
    @shavixmir

The pertinent question here is: is @Metal-Brain innocent of self-character assassination ?
  4. Joined
    23 Feb '22
    Moves
    24 Nov '22 13:37
    @metal-brain said

The Guardian and Democracy Now are your sources?
    Amy Goodman is a sick lib chit head that has been caught in so many lies and exaggerations that nothing she says can be believed.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '22 02:06
    @JJ-Adams
    This isn't about Amy Goodman. If you don't like her read the Guardian article instead. The point is the CIA planned to assassinate Assange. Does the buck stop with the POTUS or not?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '22 06:572 edits
    @shavixmir
    Change that word 'presume' to 'Hope'.
    James Comey, former director of the FBI, got fired by Trump because he would not swear fealty to TRUMP. Trump goes swear loyalty to me, Comey replied, my loyalty is to the US constitution. Can't have THAT nonesense, eh. So a week later, he is on unemployment.

That is what Trump demands from anyone close.

Kiss my ring or you are my enemy.
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Nov '22 07:04
    @sonhouse said
    @shavixmir
    Change that word 'presume' to 'Hope'.
    James Comey, former director of the FBI, got fired by Trump because he would not swear fealty to TRUMP. Trump goes swear loyalty to me, Comey replied, my loyalty is to the US constitution. Can't have THAT nonesense, eh. So a week later, he is on unemployment.

That is what Trump demands from anyone close.

Kiss my ring or you are my enemy.
    FBI isn’t a secret service though. It’s police.
    And although Hoover and Felt may have presumed their little nightmare was beyond political control, one would hope it’s not.

The secret service is to protect the nation and its institutions. Hence, it can’t be under direct political control (but generally will have an over-sight body which is politically or judicially appointed).
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '22 07:23
    @shavixmir
    I think that oversight is what they do in the Senate and the House.
    There still has to be accountability in any government office, they can't be beyond the law for instance, so congress does that, which Trump found out about, being impeached twice. Who knows, maybe a third time if his sorry ass gets somehow re-elected.
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    25 Nov '22 08:50
    @metal-brain said
    @JJ-Adams
    This isn't about Amy Goodman. If you don't like her read the Guardian article instead. The point is the CIA planned to assassinate Assange. Does the buck stop with the POTUS or not?
    Make your mind up the article says they discussed assassination that’s a million miles from planning it even if it’s true, it may have been a working lunch joke.
    Apart from being a Kremlin puppet he’s a rapist I’d assassinate him myself if I could get away with it.
    Whereas I have a lot of respect Snowden and Manning
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Nov '22 21:03
    @sonhouse said
    @shavixmir
    I think that oversight is what they do in the Senate and the House.
    There still has to be accountability in any government office, they can't be beyond the law for instance, so congress does that, which Trump found out about, being impeached twice. Who knows, maybe a third time if his sorry ass gets somehow re-elected.
    No sir.

A secret service (CIA, MI6, AIVD, etc) does not follow normal accountability rules.
    They have to have the freedom to exert influence.

The “accountability” is to a select group who do not have to report their findings in public or to the government.
    “National security” is the term you’ll hear.

Hence that secret services make for great movies and TV, but in reality are just very, very creepy establishments filled with narcissists and psychos.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Nov '22 01:44
    @kevcvs57 said
    Make your mind up the article says they discussed assassination that’s a million miles from planning it even if it’s true, it may have been a working lunch joke.
    Apart from being a Kremlin puppet he’s a rapist I’d assassinate him myself if I could get away with it.
    Whereas I have a lot of respect Snowden and Manning
    So you admit they discussed assassination. All of our authoritarian governments do it. They are just those pesky journalists. They all want to kill them for spilling the truthful beans. All is forgiven. You all condone evil. AS long as it is a democrat that does it no problem. Party over ethics.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/biden-administration-says-saudi-crown-prince-immune-from-lawsuits-in-murder-of-khashoggi

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree