Justifying the Unjustified War

Justifying the Unjustified War

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
11 May 22
1 edit

@eintaluj said
I do not argue that he presented a compelling argument. What I argue is that IF he presents a compelling argument, then...

I disagree that there obviously is no convincing argument. Differently from you, I do not pretend to know all relevant facts.
Didn't hear a whole lot of speakin'
out whilst' we were 'spreadin' democracy
to those Iraqi people a few years back.

MB

Moves
12 May 22

@suzianne said
Hmmmmmm, didn't Saddam Hussein try to do that to Kuwait?

And look where it got him.
Kuwait was slant drilling under Iraq's land to steal Iraq's oil.
When Iraq brought it up with US diplomats they told Iraq they didn't get involved in those disputes and basically gave Iraq the green light to invade.

See "Hidden Wars of Desert Storm". You will get the truth there.

PhD

Tallinn

Moves
12 May 22

@EintaluJ

In my original text, Red Hot Pawn had lost the formatting of the text, but it is understandable anyway. Everything that follows after the phrase WHAT IF is obviously conditional (hypothetical) and I have NOT asserted that someone has in fact succeeded in convincingly justifying that war (and Karjakin's name is even not mentioned in that part of my text).

However, perhaps I could make the text more precise by adding the quotation marks in the following way:

<But what if a sportsperson succeeds in justifying that war?

"He presented compelling arguments to justify the unjustified war.">

Then, instead of the italics, quotation marks would be used. But it is impossible to edit the text after the replies have been published.

PhD

Tallinn

Moves
12 May 22

@sonhouse said
@EintaluJ
I read your text but I get the impression you are ok with Putin attacking Ukraine. Is that true?
My text is NOT talking about whether the Russian invasion of Ukraine is justified. Rather, it talks about the freedom of expression and about the inconsistency of Western policies and arguments.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 May 22

@metal-brain said
Kuwait was slant drilling under Iraq's land to steal Iraq's oil.
When Iraq brought it up with US diplomats they told Iraq they didn't get involved in those disputes and basically gave Iraq the green light to invade.

Oh, please. Your relationship with the truth is like your relationship with strangers that only you think are your relatives.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 May 22

@eintaluj said
My text is NOT talking about whether the Russian invasion of Ukraine is justified. Rather, it talks about the freedom of expression and about the inconsistency of Western policies and arguments.
And it assumes that Russia was justified in attacking a neighboring sovereign state.

MB

Moves
12 May 22

@suzianne said
Oh, please. Your relationship with the truth is like your relationship with strangers that only you think are your relatives.

Kuwait was stealing oil from Iraq. There is no world police you can call.

https://apnews.com/article/6742c744762b00268e67ee411da7e05f

Is AP NEWS a good enough source for you?

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
12 May 22

@suzianne said
Hmmmmmm, didn't Saddam Hussein try to do that to Kuwait?

And look where it got him.
That resulted in a much more limited and justifiable war than the 2nd Iraq war.
It would have been so much better if they had just decapitated the regime ( not literally ) and left the police and the army in place under UN supervision. Our actions definitely created a worse chaos than we found.
I still do not think past wrongs we perpetrated can be used to give Putin a free reign in Europe if anything not supporting Ukraine makes our Middle East meddling even worse.

MB

Moves
12 May 22
2 edits

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
12 May 22

The post that was quoted here has been removed
What you’ve missed is our reticence over Syria perhaps we’ve learned our lesson and now it’s Russias turn.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
12 May 22
1 edit

“ Why do you still condone war criminals just because they are American and British (Tony Blair) ?”
I’ve alerted this as misrepresentation of a posters stance and I think you know why.
I’ve condemned Bush and Blair over the Iraq war and told you they can cart the pair of them off to The Hague anytime they like for me on numerous occasions

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 May 22
1 edit

@kevcvs57 said
That resulted in a much more limited and justifiable war than the 2nd Iraq war.
It would have been so much better if they had just decapitated the regime ( not literally ) and left the police and the army in place under UN supervision. Our actions definitely created a worse chaos than we found.
I still do not think past wrongs we perpetrated can be used to give Putin a free reign in Europe if anything not supporting Ukraine makes our Middle East meddling even worse.
Exactly.

I think W overstepped (understatement) when he went back to take out the guy who dissed his daddy.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 May 22

What? You don't give Trump a big 'war criminal' kiss for giving Iran the green light to produce nukes?

Of course you don't. Hypocrite.

PhD

Tallinn

Moves
12 May 22

@suzianne said
And it assumes that Russia was justified in attacking a neighboring sovereign state.
You are a spammer. My post has made no factual assumptions whatsoever about whether Russia has some compelling justifications or not.

MB

Moves
12 May 22

@kevcvs57 said
What you’ve missed is our reticence over Syria perhaps we’ve learned our lesson and now it’s Russias turn.
Interesting you should bring up Syria. The USA invaded and now occupies one third of that country. More than Russia occupies Ukraine.

When the USA pulls out of Syria Russia can pull out of Ukraine.
That is only fair, right?