1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 15:00
    As I'm all sure you have heard, Senator Ted Kennedy died. So what are we to make of his tenure as a distinguished Senator. He is being called the most influentual Senator in American history.

So what did you make of him? I would like to talk about the good, bad, and ugly without sounding disrespectuful. After all, even though I may disagree or even loath someone it is not my intention to dance on their graves or be disrespectful of someone who has just died. May he rest in peace.
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 15:26
    I think it's a remarkable story of how he had some serious problems with alcohol abuse and had some terrible things happen because of it, but he found a way to rebound and ended up garnering the respect of his peers if not more.

May he rest in peace and I hope the best for his family.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 15:57
    Originally posted by whodey
    As I'm all sure you have heard, Senator Ted Kennedy died. So what are we to make of his tenure as a distinguished Senator. He is being called the most influentual Senator in American history.

So what did you make of him? I would like to talk about the good, bad, and ugly without sounding disrespectuful. After all, even though I may disagree or even loa ...[text shortened]... dance on their graves or be disrespectful of someone who has just died. May he rest in peace.
    As do not wish to be disrespectful to someone who has just passed away, I will reserve comment on Kennedy for the next week or two.
  4. Joined
    15 Jul '09
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 19:09

So what did you make of him? I would like to talk about the good, bad, and ugly without sounding disrespectuful. After all, even though I may disagree or even loa ...[text shortened]... dance on their graves or be disrespectful of someone who has just died. May he rest in peace.
    screw him
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 19:24
    Originally posted by sh76
    As do not wish to be disrespectful to someone who has just passed away, I will reserve comment on Kennedy for the next week or two.
    what would you have said about him yesterday if someone had asked your opinion on him.

Don't let chronology get in your way.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 19:31
    Originally posted by uzless
    what would you have said about him yesterday if someone had asked your opinion on him.

This is now known as Michael Jackson Syndrome.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 19:52
    Originally posted by uzless

Then I would say that I don't want to be disrespectful to a man dying of brain cancer. 😉

What is there to really say about him? I didn't like his politics. I didn't like the sanctimonious way he spoke much of the time. His hypocrisy on the issue of the Nantucket Sound wind farm was mind-numbing. I don't think that being elected to the Senate from Massachussetts a million times when you're JFK's brother is all that impressive an accomplishment. In general, I don't like the whole Kennedy family, from Joe Sr.'s anti-Semitism to Chappaquiddick to Mike Skakel to Willy Smith, I could do without the whole lot of them.

It's possible that he was a nice guy (though I doubt it) and he was probably a good father and I'm sure his family loved him. My condolences to his family and all. But, although the media loves to do this sort of thing, I'm not going to canonize him just because he's dead.
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 20:48
    Originally posted by sh76
    Then I would say that I don't want to be disrespectful to a man dying of brain cancer. 😉

What is there to really say about him? I didn't like his politics. I didn't like the sanctimonious way he spoke much of the time. His hypocrisy on the issue of the Nantucket Sound wind farm was mind-numbing. I don't think that being elected to the Senate from Massachuss ...[text shortened]... oves to do this sort of thing, I'm not going to canonize him just because he's dead.
    I feel like a munchkin after Dorothy dropped her house on the wicked witch of the East. How did that song go? Ding dong ... something?

The best thing they could say about her was "Well, at least her sister loved her."
  9. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 21:40
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/32423545#32423545

Nice clip. About 9 min long.

-

If I learned one thing in life, it's never fly with a Kennedy.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 01:101 edit
    What do people think of his last act in office? From what I have heard, he was trying to have some laws changed so as to have someone replace him who would vote as he would. From what I understand, his main concern was the NHC plan getting passed which he has been a proponent of for quite some time.

So what do those on the left think of this? I pretty much know what those on the right think but feel free to chime in anyway.
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 01:19
    What do people think of his last act in office? From what I have heard, he was trying to have some laws changed so as to have someone replace him who would vote as he would. From what I understand, his main concern was the NHC plan getting passed which he has been a proponent of for quite some time.

So what do those on the left think of this? I pretty much know what those on the right think but feel free to chime in anyway.
    Right now the law is that there's always a special election. He wanted the law to be changed so someone could be appointed until the special election as long as the person appointed would not run in the special election.

Of course he would hope that someone replace him that would vote as he would. I would expect nothing less from any politician on the left or right.
  12. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 01:401 edit
    He was a champion for the common man. One of the people's greatest warriors since Humphrey. A true voice for the needy.

If you would've asked my while he was alive I'd tell you the same thing.

Of course he was flawed. Who isn't?
  13. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 04:371 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    He was a champion for the common man. One of the people's greatest warriors since Humphrey. A true voice for the needy.

If you would've asked my while he was alive I'd tell you the same thing.

Of course he was flawed. Who isn't?
    By influence and legislative accomplishments, he has certainly earned the respect that was demonstrated when the capital's flags were flown at half staff, regardless of ideological differences, this is after all a civil society.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 08:19
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    By influence and legislative accomplishments, he has certainly earned the respect that was demonstrated when the capital's flags were flown at half staff, regardless of ideological differences, this is after all a civil society.
    Well said. Although, ironically, your moderate words effectively poison the well for those here presumably champing at the bit to scream "murderer!" and "communist!" as they are at www.freerepublic.com.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 13:532 edits
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Right now the law is that there's always a special election. He wanted the law to be changed so someone could be appointed until the special election as long as the person appointed would not run in the special election.

Of course he would hope that someone replace him that would vote as he would. I would expect nothing less from any politician on the left or right.
    BUt the law was passed in 2004 to require a special election within 5 months to fill any vacancy by Kennedy and company. At the time, legislative Democrats were ocncerned that Gov Mitt Romney would be able to fill any vacancy created as John Kerry ran for President. But now times have changed. Even though the Democrats hold a potenitally filibuster-proof margin in Congress, the outcome of a health care reform bill could hinge on a single vote. Therefore, since they are waiting to vote on this within the next 5 months, Kennedy and company are petitioning for an appointee ASAP!! Otherwise, this would not be happening even though Kennedy wrote, "It is vital for this commonwealth to have two voices speaking for the needs of its citizens and two votes in the Senate during the approximatly five months between the vacancy and an election."

Translated: "We need a repaclement vote in favor of health care yesterday!!"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree