1. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 16:16
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    why?
    Why!? Do you know any thing about "Chappaquddik" ?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 16:161 edit
    Originally posted by daniel58
    You believe that it's impossible for anyone to keep from committing sin?
    No. You have gone from political to spiritual in one setence.

From a spiritual view point, man should not be glorified whatsoever. It all belongs to God. However, try telling that to the thousands of adoring fans of famous people like Michael Jackson and Ted Kennedy.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 16:19
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    It sounds like he doesn't. If it were you or I in the same shoes, we would have been locked up.
  4. Pepperland
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 16:23
    Ted Kennedy was a scum bag,plain and simple. His brothers JFK and RFK were scum bags as well. They had a good teacher. Their father Joe.
    People die, I am sorry. But,to sit here and act like he was some great man is a crock. The Kennedys were dirty from the ground up.
    In what way were JFK and RFK "scumbags"?
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 17:502 edits
    In what way were JFK and RFK "scumbags"?
    Womanizing, cheating, lying scumbags like Bill Clinton. They were both doing Marylin Monroe and have never been exonerated of murdering her via drug overdose. Ted Kennedy was just like them. Womanizing, lying, cheating scumbag. Chappaquidick may get glossed over by the sycophants on the left but never forgotten. Mary Jo Kopechne died needlessly by associating with a scumbag who left her to die. Read below:

On July 18, 1969, Ted Kennedy attended a party on Chappaquiddick, a small island connected via ferry to the town of Edgartown on the adjoining larger island of Martha's Vineyard. The party was a reunion for a group of six women, including Kopechne, known as the "boiler-room girls",[1] who had served in his brother Robert's 1968 presidential campaign. Also present were Joseph Gargan, Ted Kennedy's cousin; Paul Markham, a school friend of Gargan's who would become United States Attorney for Massachusetts under the patronage of the Kennedys;[2] Charles Tretter, an attorney; Raymond La Rosa; and John Crimmins, Ted Kennedy's part-time driver. Kennedy was also competing in the Edgartown Yacht Club Regatta, a sailing competition which was taking place over several days.[1]

According to his own testimony at the inquest into Kopechne's death, Kennedy left the party at "approximately 11:15 p.m." He said that when he announced that he was about to leave, Kopechne told him "that she was desirous of leaving, if I would be kind enough to drop her back at her hotel." Kennedy then requested the keys to his car from his chauffeur, Crimmins. Asked why he did not have his chauffeur drive them both, Kennedy explained that Crimmins along with some other guests "were concluding their meal, enjoying the fellowship and it didn't appear to me necessary to require him to bring me back to Edgartown".[3] Kopechne told no one that she was leaving with Kennedy, and left her purse and hotel key at the party.[4]

[edit] After the party
    Christopher "Huck" Look was a deputy sheriff working as a special police officer at the Edgartown regatta dance that night. At 12:30 am he left the dance, crossed over to Chappaquiddick in the yacht club's launch, got into his parked car and drove home. He testified that between 12:30 and 12:45 am he had seen a dark car containing a man driving and a woman in the front seat approaching the intersection with Dike Road. The car had gone first onto the private Cemetery Road and stopped there. Thinking that the occupants of the car might be lost, Look had gotten out of his car and walked towards it. When he was 25 to 30 feet away, the car started backing up towards him. When Look called out to offer his help, the car took off down Dike Road in a cloud of dust.[5] Look recalled that the car's license plate began with an "L" and contained the number "7" twice, both details true of Kennedy's 1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88.

The Dike Bridge, Martha's Vineyard, pictured here in 2008 with guardrail.According to his inquest testimony, Kennedy made a wrong turn onto Dike Road, an unlit dirt road that led to Dike Bridge (also spelled Dyke Bridge). Dike Road was unpaved, but Kennedy, driving at "approximately twenty miles an hour", took "no particular notice" of this fact, and did not realize that he was no longer headed towards the ferry landing.[6] Dike Bridge was a wooden bridge angled obliquely to the road with no guardrail. A fraction of a second before he reached the bridge, Kennedy applied his brakes; he then drove over the side of the bridge. The car plunged into tide-swept Poucha Pond (at that location a channel) and came to rest upside-down underwater. Kennedy later recalled that he was able to swim free of the vehicle, but Kopechne was not. Kennedy claimed at the inquest that he called Kopechne's name several times from the shore, then tried to swim down to reach her seven or eight times, then rested on the bank for around fifteen minutes before returning on foot to Lawrence Cottage, where the party attended by Kopechne and other "Boiler Room Girls" had occurred. Kennedy denied seeing any house with a light on during his journey back to Lawrence Cottage.[7]

"Dike House" along Dike Road.In addition to the working telephone at the Lawrence Cottage, according to one commentator, his route back to the cottage would have taken him past four houses from which he could have telephoned and summoned help; however, he did not do so.[8] The first of those houses, referred to as "Dike House", was only 150 yards away from the bridge, and was occupied by Sylvia Malm and her family at the time of the incident. Malm later stated that she had left a light on at the residence when she retired for that evening.[9]

According to Kennedy's testimony, Gargan and party co-host Paul Markham then returned to the pond with Kennedy to try to rescue Kopechne. Both of the other men also tried to dive into the water and rescue Kopechne multiple times.[1] When their efforts to rescue Kopechne failed, Kennedy testified, Gargan and Markham drove with Kennedy to the ferry landing, both insisting multiple times that the accident had to be reported to the authorities.[10] According to Markham's testimony Kennedy was sobbing and on the verge of breaking down.[11] Kennedy went on to testify that "[I] had full intention of reporting it. And I mentioned to Gargan and Markham something like, 'You take care of the other girls; I will take care of the accident!'—that is what I said and I dove into the water".[10] Kennedy had already told Gargan and Markham not to tell the other women anything about the incident "[b]ecause I felt strongly that if these girls were notified that an accident had taken place and Mary Jo had, in fact, drowned, that it would only be a matter of seconds before all of those girls, who were long and dear friends of Mary Jo's, would go to the scene of the accident and enter the water with, I felt, a good chance that some serious mishap might have occurred to any one of them".[12] Gargan and Markam would testify that they assumed that Kennedy was going to inform the authorities once he got back to Edgartown, and thus did not do so themselves.[2]

According to his own testimony, Kennedy swam across the 500-foot channel, back to Edgartown and returned to his hotel room, where he removed his clothes and collapsed on his bed.[12] Hearing noises, he later put on dry clothes and asked someone what the time was: it was something like 2:30 a.m., the senator recalled. He testified that, as the night went on, "I almost tossed and turned and walked around that room ... I had not given up hope all night long that, by some miracle, Mary Jo would have escaped from the car."[13]

Back at his hotel, Kennedy complained at 2:55 am to the hotel owner that he had been awoken by a noisy party.[2] By 7:30 am the next morning he was talking "casually" to the winner of the previous day's sailing race, with no indication that anything was amiss.[2] At 8 a.m., Gargan and Markham joined Kennedy at his hotel where they had a "heated conversation." According to Kennedy's testimony, the two men asked why he had not reported the accident. Kennedy responded by telling them "about my own thoughts and feelings as I swam across that channel ... that somehow when they arrived in the morning that they were going to say that Mary Jo was still alive".[13] The three men subsequently crossed back to Chappaquiddick Island on the ferry, where Kennedy made a series of phone calls from a payphone by the crossing to his friends for advice; he again did not report the accident to authorities.

After Kennedy's death, Ed Klein, an editor for New York Times Magazine and an author of several books about the Kennedy family, stated that one of Kennedy's "favorite topics of humor was indeed Chappaquiddick itself. And he would ask people, 'have you heard any new jokes about Chappaquiddick?'" Klein also said, "It’s not that he didn’t feel remorse about the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, but that he still always saw the other side of everything and the ridiculous side of things, too."

Perhaps scumbag is way too kind to this bastard! What kind of a miserable human being jokes about such a tragedy?
  6. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 18:08
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Womanizing, cheating, lying scumbags like Bill Clinton. They were both doing Marylin Monroe and have never been exonerated of murdering her via drug overdose. Ted Kennedy was just like them. Womanizing, lying, cheating scumbag. Chappaquidick may get glossed over by the sycophants on the left but never forgotten. Mary Jo Kopechne died needlessly by assoc ...[text shortened]... being jokes about such a tragedy?
    I think there are millions of us who haven't been exonerated of murdering Marylin Monroe.

That really is a bizarre twist on the usual 'innocent until proven guilty' standard.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 18:20
    Originally posted by Redmike
    I think there are millions of us who haven't been exonerated of murdering Marylin Monroe.

That really is a bizarre twist on the usual 'innocent until proven guilty' standard.
    Not at all. That standard applies to the living, not the dead. Neither elder Kennedy would pass the stink test in that one. They were true scumbags. JFK happened to also be a hero. His hero status does not exonerate him of wrongdoing. There is abundant evidence of forced intake of drugs. There is also evidence of the body being moved. At the time Monroe was making noise. She then truns up dead. Not a huge leap to see coverup all over this one.
  8. Pepperland
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 18:24
    sure he should have been punished, but I don't think that should stop him from being senator.

do you think it was intentional?
  9. Pepperland
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 18:28
    Womanizing, cheating, lying scumbags like Bill Clinton. They were both doing Marylin Monroe and have never been exonerated of murdering her via drug overdose. Ted Kennedy was just like them. Womanizing, lying, cheating scumbag. Chappaquidick may get glossed over by the sycophants on the left but never forgotten. Mary Jo Kopechne died needlessly by assoc ...[text shortened]... being jokes about such a tragedy?
    Womanizing, cheating, lying scumbags like Bill Clinton. They were both doing Marylin Monroe and have never been exonerated of murdering her via drug overdose. Ted Kennedy was just like them. Womanizing, lying, cheating scumbag. Chappaquidick may get glossed over by the sycophants on the left but never forgotten. Mary Jo Kopechne died needlessly by associating with a scumbag who left her to die. Read below:

I don't think womannizing, cheating, and lying makes one a scumbag anymore than killing, and being corrupt (see several republican presidents)
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 18:30
    sure he should have been punished, but I don't think that should stop him from being senator.

Just think about it generalissimo. Had he been Republican he would have been toast. Different standards apply depending on party. Here's the likely charges: intoxication manslaughter, a felony; failure to stop an render aid, a fleony; leaving the scene of an accident, a misdemeanor. Combined ocnvictions should have resulted in prison for the common man. For a Kennedy different standards apply. This so called champion of the little guy was responsible for the death of one and used his money/status to wiggle out of the ordeal. How he became reelected time and again will forever mystify me.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 18:31
    [b]Womanizing, cheating, lying scumbags like Bill Clinton. They were both doing Marylin Monroe and have never been exonerated of murdering her via drug overdose. Ted Kennedy was just like them. Womanizing, lying, cheating scumbag. Chappaquidick may get glossed over by the sycophants on the left but never forgotten. Mary Jo Kopechne died needlessly by a ...[text shortened]... makes one a scumbag anymore than killing, and being corrupt (see several republican presidents)
    You must mean Lincoln!
  12. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 18:51
    Not to mention it is common knowledge of the "old mans" ties with Lucky Luciano and what he did during prohibition. The Mob played a part in getting JFK into office. JFK also worked w/ the mob (sam giacanna) to assasinate Castro. (incidently.giacanna,rfk and jfk were all doing monroe)
    JFK returns the favor by putting his brother on a crusade to crush organize crime in America.
    So in a nut shell,we have multiple murders,attempted assasinations,hiring organized crime to kill foriegn leaders at tax payers expense,voter fraud,adultery and more than likely a few other things I missed.
    That is a scum bag.
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 19:02

it's not like there's any shortage of qualified people available to serve as senator.
  14. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 19:17
    Whatever,you obviously do not know anything about the Kennedys. Which does not surprise me.
    Christ, I was in grade school when JFK died. If you grow up with that family you certainly come to know them.

Edward had his persoanal failings to be sure. But when esteemed Republican senators such as McCail and hatch openly states that they were great friends and amirers of his, doesn't that mean anything to you. Or are they total fools as well?
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 19:20
    why should that matter? would you EXPECT a fellow senator to say anything different?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree