Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 18 Jul '11 10:33
    If you think of yourself as a liberal or socialist or broadly of the left, who do you regard as the most persuasive right-winger in the public sphere, and why?

    If you think of yourself as a conservative or libertarian or broadly of the right, who do you regard as the most persuasive left-winger in the public sphere, and why?

    (It could be a writer or academic or philosopher, as well as a politician).
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    18 Jul '11 12:27 / 1 edit
    The Economist is to the right of me I'd say, but I consume its take on things avidly every week.
  3. 18 Jul '11 12:33 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    If you think of yourself as a liberal or socialist or broadly of the left, who do you regard as the most persuasive right-winger in the public sphere, and why?

    If you think of yourself as a conservative or libertarian or broadly of the right, who do you regard as the most persuasive left-winger in the public sphere, and why?

    (It could be a writer or academic or philosopher, as well as a politician).
    This should be a short thread.



    I'll save everyone a little bit of time.

    Those on the "left/right" are all a bunch of morons!!!
  4. 18 Jul '11 12:55
    Originally posted by whodey
    This should be a short thread.



    I'll save everyone a little bit of time.

    Those on the "left/right" are all a bunch of morons!!!
    Really? You think this, even though you are yourself obviously on the hard right?
  5. 18 Jul '11 13:11
    I'm a Liberal. As a right wing entity I would say Fox "news" is the most persuassive public figure - by far and for obvious reason.

    As an individual I would say Bill O'Reilly. He's engaging, charismatic and he does a great job hiding the fact that he's a right wing shill.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Jul '11 13:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    If you think of yourself as a liberal or socialist or broadly of the left, who do you regard as the most persuasive right-winger in the public sphere, and why?

    If you think of yourself as a conservative or libertarian or broadly of the right, who do you regard as the most persuasive left-winger in the public sphere, and why?

    (It could be a writer or academic or philosopher, as well as a politician).
    George Will writes some good stuff and seems to be pretty consistent ideologically.
  7. 18 Jul '11 13:27 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I'm a Liberal. As a right wing entity I would say Fox "news" is the most persuassive public figure - by far and for obvious reason.

    As an individual I would say Bill O'Reilly. He's engaging, charismatic and he does a great job hiding the fact that he's a right wing shill.
    I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by "persuasive". I meant, which figures on the right you find to advance convincing or plausible arguments. So Fox News persuades a lot of people, but presumably (since you don't find its arguments convincing or plausible) is not "persuasive" to you.

    What I'm really looking for are conservatives that unsettle the convictions of avowed liberals, and vice versa. So these would be people who advance an argument you oppose politically with the convincing support of relevant statistics, historical background, legal knowledge, etc.
  8. 18 Jul '11 13:32
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    George Will writes some good stuff and seems to be pretty consistent ideologically.
    Oh, I'm glad you nominated Will; I was going to do so myself. His erudition and rigour are indeed impressive. His column was syndicated in the Japan Times when I lived in Tokyo, and I always looked forward to it, even though it often infuriated me.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Jul '11 13:33 / 1 edit
    Paul Krugman, biased arrogant know-it-all that he is, is an intelligent and persuasive writer.

    Ron Kuby, from a criminal justice perspective.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    18 Jul '11 13:44
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    George Will writes some good stuff and seems to be pretty consistent ideologically.
    I used to see Will on PBS/Newshour/Sam & Cokie [or whatever] a lot when I was living in Japan (NHK broadcast it in the afternoons) and he was worth listening to for sure. Not so sure about Sam & Cokie though. Jim Lehrer's Newshour had plenty of interesting guests. I'm talking the 90s here. Don't know what's going on with those particular folks now.
  11. 18 Jul '11 14:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by "persuasive". I meant, which figures on the right you find to advance convincing or plausible arguments. So Fox News persuades a lot of people, but presumably (since you don't find its arguments convincing or plausible) is not "persuasive" to you.

    What I'm really looking for are conservatives that unset ...[text shortened]... he convincing support of relevant statistics, historical background, legal knowledge, etc.
    In that case I would say Ron Christie. He's intelligent, articulate and a fierce debater. Why the right hasn't propelled him up to be a top spokesperson is beyond me. He's miles above idiot nutjobs like Palin, Bachmann, Limbaugh and Beck.
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Jul '11 15:30
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    In that case I would say Ron Christie. He's intelligent, articulate and a fierce debater. Why the right hasn't propelled him up to be a top spokesperson is beyond me. He's miles above idiot nutjobs like Palin, Bachmann, Limbaugh and Beck.
    Heh.

    Tell that to DailyKos


    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/10/25/261841/-Is-Ron-Christie-the-most-embarrasing-black-GOP-spokesman-ever
  13. 18 Jul '11 15:31
    I don't consider myself on the "left" or on the "right".
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Jul '11 15:52
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I don't consider myself on the "left" or on the "right".
    Then pick someone who you think is wrong but intelligent and persuasive; like Milton Friedman, only more alive.
  15. 18 Jul '11 16:47
    Originally posted by sh76
    Then pick someone who you think is wrong but intelligent and persuasive; like Milton Friedman, only more alive.
    I thought about it for a while, but I'm not easily impressed. Perhaps Jon Stewart fits the bill best, although he is not particularly intelligent (compared to myself).