1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 12:54
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Uh?
    Didn't they just discover water on Mars? How the hell would they already know if it's getting more or less?

That's right-wing press for you. As scientific is Ayn Rand.
    No one disputes that the ice caps are getting smaller on Mars Shav. It is only a question of why. As for how we know, its a new invention called a telescope. In addition, not to blow your mind or anything but we have a couple of little rovers up there as well.
  2. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 17:53
    Here's a site discussing your psuedo-scientific propaganda from the viewpoint of a scientist
    http://www.grist.org/article/mars-and-pluto-are-warming-too/
    and in more depth
    http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/10/global-warming-on-mars/

Any questions?
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 20:061 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

In the rabidly right winged national geographic magazine, a story was done about polar ice caps shrinking on Mars. In fact, they have been shrinking now along side the earth polar ice caps. The culprit? Thats right, Martian SUV's along side of Al Gore jet setting around the Martian the Earth continues to cool, as it has since the mid 1990's, how nutty is this science?
    Actually the story is about ONE scientist's theory, which is at odds with mainstream science.

First Paragraph of the article:
    Simultaneous warming on Earth and Mars suggests that our planet's recent climate changes have a natural—and not a human-induced—cause, according to one scientist's controversial theory.

The article goes on to quote other scientists who disagree with him. The fact that Mars has a wobbly orbit simply cannot be ignored. The reason the "caps" of the Earth and Mars have frozen material (water and carbon dioxide respectively) - is because those surfaces receive the least amount of sun light. A wobbly orbit would obviously have a dramatic effect on its frozen caps.

At the very least you misrepresented this article to be conclusive, which not even the author pretends it to be.
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 20:54
    Originally posted by mrstabby
    Here's a site discussing your psuedo-scientific propaganda from the viewpoint of a scientist
    http://www.grist.org/article/mars-and-pluto-are-warming-too/
    and in more depth
    http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/10/global-warming-on-mars/

Any questions?
    http://climaterealists.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=178

Re: Grist: A roomful of cynics

Postby nickbat » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:18 pm
    Ah, yes, Coby Beck.

"Coby is a software developer specializing in Artificial Intelligence applications..

In addition to blogging and earning a living in software, Coby Beck is an avid photographer. He is currently working on a fine art abstract photography project called "Painting with Water"."

http://scienceblogs.com/illconsidered/about.php

I can't quite get to see how he manages to be invited to do a guest post at Grist?

Oh wait a minute. Now, I can. On his website he recently posted the following character reference for J. Pielke Jr, the renowned scientist.

"Pielke is a **** ****** and ******** ****. (Sorry, I violated my own comment policy) who is simply playing a very different game than the rest of us."

http://scienceblogs.com/illconsidered/2009/03/and_all_shall_know_his_name_mi.php

Have another Grist team point, Coby! And how about a guest post?

IMHO, Beck is a thoroughly unpleasant character. He'll do well at Grist!
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 20:54
    wobbly orbit?
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 21:33
    Originally posted by zeeblebot

Ah, yes, Coby Beck.

"Coby is a software developer specializing in Artificial Intelligence applications..

In addition to blogging and earning a living in software, Coby Beck is an avid photographer. He is currently w ...[text shortened]... guest post?

So what is your contention, that the earth is not warming or that we're not the cause?
  7. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 21:34
    wobbly orbit?
    What is your quesiton?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 03:142 edits
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    At the very least you misrepresented this article to be conclusive, which not even the author pretends it to be.[/b]
    I never said the article was conclusive. I was just merely stating that they were expressing contrary opinions, which in this day and age is highly politically incorrect and rare. I do think that CO2 emissions play a role but it is a controversial role. What is known is that solar activity also plays a role and is why we are now in a cooling trend. All in all, I would say that the solar activity plays a much greater role.

As for saving the earth, the sun is slowly expanding and one day will engulf the earth. So I say eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die!! Nope, not the libs, they want to make us as miserable as possible before we die.
  9. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 03:23

Ah, yes, Coby Beck.

In addition to blogging and earning a living in software, Coby Beck is an avid photographer. He is currently w ...[text shortened]... guest post?

That's not a question, it's an ad hominem attack in the form of spam, but thanks for trying (not).
  10. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 03:34
    I never said the article was conclusive. I was just merely stating that they were expressing contrary opinions, which in this day and age is highly politically incorrect and rare. I do think that CO2 emissions play a role but it is a controversial role. What is known is that solar activity also plays a role and is why we are now in a cooling trend. I woul ...[text shortened]... orrow we die!! Nope, not the libs, they want to make us as miserable as possible before we die.
    Politically controversial yes, but hardly scientifically controversial. Most of the sceptics . There are other theories, but in the grand scheme no-one takes them very seriously.

By your logic the denialists are intent on destroying the planet. Why would a political group be intent on making everyone miserable? Do you honestly believe that people who have liberal beliefs are intent on making other people miserable?
  11. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 03:391 edit
    I never said the article was conclusive. I was just merely stating that they were expressing contrary opinions, which in this day and age is highly politically incorrect and rare. I do think that CO2 emissions play a role but it is a controversial role. What is known is that solar activity also plays a role and is why we are now in a cooling trend. All in ...[text shortened]... orrow we die!! Nope, not the libs, they want to make us as miserable as possible before we die.
    If by "they" you mean the author of that article or National Geographic you would be wrong. The article was about one specific scientist with a controversial theory.

A cooling trend? Do you not know that our ice caps have melted to such an extreme degree that the face of our map has literally changed? And I haven't even brought up many other issues like the very existence of polar bears being threatened.

As for you comment about what "Libs want" I guess you have my number. Yep, I want everyone to be miserable, that's my goal. Are you effing serious with this stuff?
  12. silicon valley
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 04:10
    So what is your contention, that the earth is not warming or that we're not the cause?
    biased source.
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 04:17
    biased source.
    What is a biased source? And why didn't you answer the question?
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 04:18
    Originally posted by mrstabby
    Politically controversial yes, but hardly scientifically controversial. Most of the sceptics . There are other theories, but in the grand scheme no-one takes them very seriously.

By your logic the denialists are intent on destroying the planet. Why would a political group be intent on making everyone miserable? Do you honestly believe that people who have liberal beliefs are intent on making other people miserable?
    45 trillion in global warming remedial funding. that's a lot of payola!

i'd be surprised if the mafia weren't in it up to their necks.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 04:18
    What is a biased source? And why didn't you answer the question?
    that IS the answer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree