1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 01:03
    http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110627/ap_on_el_ge/us_bachmann_fact_check

It's early in the 2012 political races, and already Michele Bachman is digging herself into a hole.

* She tell people ""It's ironic and sad that the president released all of the oil from the strategic oil reserve. ... There's only a limited amount of oil that we have in the strategic oil reserve. It's there for emergencies.", when in reality Obama released just 4%

* She says -"One. That's the number of new drilling permits under the Obama administration since they came into office." The reality is over 200 permits have been issued.

* She says-"Well what I want them to know is, just like John Wayne was from Waterloo, Iowa, that's the kind of spirit that I have, too." The reality is John Wayne was born in winterset Iowa...NOT Waterloo.

*She says- "The farm is my father-in-law's farm. It's not my husband and my farm. It's my father-in-law's farm. And my husband and I have never gotten a penny of money from the farm." The reality is she made $100,000-$250,000 according to her own financial disclosure statements.

I find it hard to believe this lady who can't seem to keep a few simple facts straight could become so popular, and actually compete succesfully for a run at the Whitehouse.

I used to dismiss stories about Republicans being dumber than Democrats, as just political mudslinging. Now I'm beginning to wonder...

😕
  2. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 01:09
    Originally posted by bill718

It's early in the 2012 political races, and already Michele Bachman is digging herself into a hole.

* She tell people ""It's ironic and sad that the president released all of the oil from the strategic oil reserve. ... There's only a limited amount of oil that we have in the str ...[text shortened]... ocrats, as just political mudslinging. Now I'm beginning to wonder...

😕
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/06/27/lawless.bachmann.candidacy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 01:19

* She tell people ""It's ironic and sad that the president released all of the oil from the strategic oil reserve. ... There's only a limited amount of oil that we have in the str ...[text shortened]... ocrats, as just political mudslinging. Now I'm beginning to wonder...

😕
    Its kinda like Obama thinking there is 57 states!

Or, when he claimed 10,000 people died in a Kansas tornado when in fact it was only 12.

Then the time Obama explained why he was trailing Hillary Clinton in Kentucky, Obama again botched basic geography: “Sen. Clinton, I think, is much better known, coming from a nearby state of Arkansas. So it’s not surprising that she would have an advantage in some of those states in the middle.” On what map is Arkansas closer to Kentucky than Illinois?

Obama has as much trouble with numbers as he has with maps. Last March, on the anniversary of the Bloody Sunday march in Selma, Ala., he claimed his parents united as a direct result of the civil rights movement: “There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Ala., because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born.”

Obama was born in 1961. The Selma march took place in 1965.

Then there is the time in Cape Girardeau, Mo., Obama showed off his knowledge of the war in Afghanistan by homing in on a lack of translators: “We only have a certain number of them, and if they are all in Iraq, then it’s harder for us to use them in Afghanistan.” The real reason it’s “harder for us to use them” in Afghanistan: Iraqis speak Arabic or Kurdish. The Afghanis speak Pashto, Farsi, or other non-Arabic languages.

courtesy of my buddie Michelle Malkin
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 02:43
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Its kinda like Obama thinking there is 57 states!

Or, when he claimed 10,000 people died in a Kansas tornado when in fact it was only 12.

Then the time Obama explained why he was trailing Hillary Clinton in Kentucky, Obama again botched basic geography: [b]“Sen. Clinton, I think, is much better known, coming from a nearby state of Arkansas. So i ...[text shortened]... nis speak Pashto, Farsi, or other non-Arabic languages.

Oh, well if Michelle Malkin said it, it must be true. And Rachel Ray likes to wear a "terror scarf."
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 03:17
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Oh, well if Michelle Malkin said it, it must be true. And Rachel Ray likes to wear a "terror scarf."
    Naw, actually Obama said it.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 03:211 edit
    If Michele Bachmann is the GOP candidate in 2012 will you vote for her or will you sit the election out? [I am presuming you did not vote for McCain, right?]
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 03:51

😕
    The one about Waterloo v Winterset is nothing but irrelevant tabloid filler. Obama and G.W.Bush get/got a lot of this kind of filler flak for trivial flubs over the names of States etc. On the other hand, Bachmann's lack of understanding of the strategic oil reserve, her lack of knowledge about oil drilling permits, and the apparent lie concerning her financial disclosure statements, are all far more serious and worrying.
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 04:58
    Naw, actually Obama said it.
    Yeah, but a fatigue-induced slip of the tongue confusing 47 with 57 is not comparable with always getting the locations wrong, from the Shot Heard Round the World to the right John Wayne's birth.

What's more is Bachman and her supporters pulling Palins by blaming the press for her own mess-ups. It's one thing to be basically dumb, but it's another to push your ignorance as a virtue and play the victim.

I wonder how long it will take Bachman's supporters to change the John Wayne entry for Wikipedia.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 10:441 edit

* She tell people ""It's ironic and sad that the president released all of the oil from the strategic oil reserve. ... There's only a limited amount of oil that we have in the str ocrats, as just political mudslinging. Now I'm beginning to wonder...

😕
    Personally, I would like to see the press get in the face of these politicians who openly lie or tell falsehoods. An example is the Bret Baier interview with Obama. Obama made the comment that he only lost by a few percentage points in Texas last election but was immediatly corrected by Baier when he said it was actually around 10 percentage points. At the end of the interview, Obama was irate and demanded Bret conduct his interviews in a different fashion. Hilarious!!

http://www.fireandreamitchell.com/2011/04/19/obama-gets-owned-by-texas-reporter-brad-watson-whines-let-me-finish-my-answers%E2%80%99/
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 10:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    The one about Waterloo v Winterset is nothing but irrelevant tabloid filler. Obama and G.W.Bush get/got a lot of this kind of filler flak for trivial flubs over the names of States etc. On the other hand, Bachmann's lack of understanding of the strategic oil reserve, her lack of knowledge about oil drilling permits, and the apparent lie concerning her financial disclosure statements, are all far more serious and worrying.
    Don't worry, she is just another large political target American air headed floozy.

When will the GOP learn not to allow women to run for the Presidency?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 11:101 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Don't worry, she is just another large political target American air headed floozy. When will the GOP learn not to allow women to run for the Presidency?
    I don't think being a woman has anything to do with Michele Bachmann's shortcomings. Do you? You have been the poster with the most high profile and unapologetic scorn for women in politics on this forum in recent weeks.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 12:431 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Good point. It really would be nice if the media would really differentiate between the meaningless flubs ("57 states," mispronouncing "nuclear" etc.) and real lies and flip flops that have real meaning (fabricated or exaggerated evidence of WMDs and declining federal matching funds after promising to do so in the most direct terms, etc.) rather than lumping them all into one absurd category.
  13. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 12:581 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Don't worry, she is just another large political target American air headed floozy.

When will the GOP learn not to allow women to run for the Presidency?
    Because you've been so serious and supportive of women in politics?

As far as looks, the one that gave me the willies was Barbara Bush. Those "bug eyes" just sent shivers up and down my spine.

Then to add insult to injury, she looked twice the age of Bush Sr.

Now to try and decide who the best looking first ladies were, I would have to see them duel it out in a swim suit contest of some sort. My guess is, however, Jacki O would win hands down.

Get off your pedestal.

Also, clearly you didn't look at the article I posted. People are scared about down what path Bachmann would take the country (not that that's not true for several of the GOP candidates); the fact that she's a woman is irrelevant.

And you know it.

Edit: From the link:

"Far more problematic than these [media gaffes], however, is that Bachmann is out of step with core American values. Her political career is rife with examples of ideological extremism and blatant disregard for civil liberties, civil rights and science.

Consider, for instance, her views on abortion.

Like many conservative Republicans, she is ardently anti-choice. But unlike many of her conservative anti-choice colleagues, and unlike roughly 80% of Americans, Bachmann is so extreme that she does not support allowing women to make the decision to terminate a pregnancy even when that pregnancy results from rape or incest, or when carrying the pregnancy to term threatens the life of the mother.

That she neither recognizes nor respects women's inherent right to make personal, private decisions about their physical autonomy, safety or health, by the way, is not incidental.

Bachmann contends that the "life of the unborn is not a sidebar issue ... It is the issue that impacts more than any other how you view other issues." If that is the case, then Michele Bachmann, using her own test, falls far out of the mainstream.

Bachmann also believes in restricting the civil rights and civil liberties of gays and lesbians. Like most conservative Republicans, Bachmann opposes same-sex marriage. But again, her views extend beyond and into the extreme. She opposed the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which makes it unlawful for a business to discriminate against an individual on the basis of actual or perceived sexual orientation.

And despite her ardent support for states' rights, she would support a constitutional amendment that would void the marriage equality law that passed in New York last week. Perhaps her position stems from Bachmann's belief that "if you're involved in the gay and lesbian lifestyle, it's bondage. It is personal bondage, personal despair and personal enslavement."

Bachmann also supports teaching creationism in public schools because it's important to "put all science on the table and then let the students decide." She opposes stem-cell research, even when the majority of Americans recognizes its potential to cure debilitating diseases.

And she is not convinced of the perils of global warming, perhaps because she does not buy the claim that humans contributed to it. Indeed, man-made global warming "doesn't make any sense" because, she says "carbon dioxide is a natural byproduct of nature." Apparently Michele Bachmann knows better than does the scientific community on issues of evolution, medical research and the environment.
  14. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 15:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    Good point. It really would be nice if the media would really differentiate between the meaningless flubs ("57 states," mispronouncing "nuclear" etc.) and real lies and flip flops that have real meaning (fabricated or exaggerated evidence of WMDs and declining federal matching funds after promising to do so in the most direct terms, etc.) rather than lumping them all into one absurd category.
    Well, I'm sorry, but I disagree partly. The John Wayne thing is meaningless. But making up stories about Gore Vidal's historical novel, or getting the wrong state for Lexington just reveal a profound lack of curiosity about the world which is in fact a legitimate campaign issue. We do want leaders who know and understand our history.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 15:321 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think being a woman has anything to do with Michele Bachmann's shortcomings. Do you? You have been the poster with the most high profile and unapologetic scorn for women in politics on this forum in recent weeks.
    I am not the one who scorns them. Women I think are fully capable. I simply am an observer as politicians from Hillary to Palin get defeated and often brutalized in the process. The last I checked, Hillary now just wants to get out of politics altogether and Palin resigned her post as governor.

What can I say, it's a man's world FMF.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree