1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 15:35
    Originally posted by whodey
    I am not the one who scorns them. Women I think are fully capable. I simply am an observer as politicians from Hillary to Palin get defeated and often brutalized in the process. The last I checked, Hillary now just wants to get out of politics altogether and Palin resigned her post as governor.

What can I say, it's a man's world FMF.
    Clinton and Palin have a lot of baggage other than being a woman. There are plenty of women who are successful in politics. It's not easy on anybody. We have had two women as senators in California for 20 years, and nobody has come close to taking them out of office since. Although the media always tries to play up the chances for Boxer's opponents, she clobbers them each time.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 15:36
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Well, I'm sorry, but I disagree partly. The John Wayne thing is meaningless. But making up stories about Gore Vidal's historical novel, or getting the wrong state for Lexington just reveal a profound lack of curiosity about the world which is in fact a legitimate campaign issue. We do want leaders who know and understand our history.
    Getting Lexington's state wrong reveals a "profound lack of curiosity about the world"?

😲
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 15:36
    I am not the one who scorns them.
    Consistently, for just about as long as I can remember, you save your sarcastic sexual insults for women in politics. And now here you are, trying to distance yourself from it by passing it off as an "observation". Perhaps you just can't help what you post and what you are.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 15:37
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Because you've been so serious and supportive of women in politics?

[quote]As far as looks, the one that gave me the willies was Barbara Bush. Those "bug eyes" just sent shivers up and down my spine.

Then to add insult to injury, she looked twice the age of Bush Sr.

Now to try and decide who the best looking first ladies were, I would have to ...[text shortened]... community on issues of evolution, medical research and the environment.
    So Bachmann

1. Opposes abortion
    2. Opposes gays to be able to marry (which the last I checked Obama did as well)
    3. Questions the science of global warming and wisdom of cap and trade.

Yep, she is a fruitcake hell bent on taking all your rights away. I say tar and feather her. She is whithout a doubt on the wrong side of the leftists issues that are most precious to them.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 15:40
    Clinton and Palin have a lot of baggage other than being a woman. There are plenty of women who are successful in politics. It's not easy on anybody. We have had two women as senators in California for 20 years, and nobody has come close to taking them out of office since. Although the media always tries to play up the chances for Boxer's opponents, she clobbers them each time.
    I think being a woman is probably a slight advantage in running for office in the US as there are probably more people who would vote for a woman because she's a woman (e.g., feminists, people who think that women are underrepresented) than there are people who would vote against a woman because she's a woman.

The disparity between genders in terms of elected representatives can be easily explained by 2 factors:

1) Inertia from historical discrimination against women (lack of legacy candidates, etc.)

2) The less ambitious nature of women in general (politically incorrect perhaps, but equally true)
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 15:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    Consistently, for just about as long as I can remember, you save your sarcastic sexual insults for women in politics. And now here you are, trying to distance yourself from it by passing it off as an "observation". Perhaps you just can't help what you post and what you are.
    Here we go everyone. Let's dig up every last post Whodey has made in the last 10 years whether they have been said jokingly or otherwise and twist them and wrap them around his neck.

As I said, women are fully capable to do the job as a man.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 15:42
    As I said, women are fully capable to do the job as a man.
    And yet you try to demean political women you disagree with by making them the target of sexual smears and insults. Why would you do that?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 15:43
    Originally posted by sh76
    I think being a woman is probably a slight advantage in running for office in the US as there are probably more people who would vote for a woman because she's a woman (e.g., feminists, people who think that women are underrepresented) than there are people who would vote against a woman because she's a woman.

The disparity between genders in terms of electe ...[text shortened]... he less ambitious nature of women in general (politically incorrect perhaps, but equally true)
    I would say that if a woman were to be elected it would have to be one on the left. After all, Hillary beat Obama in the popular vote in the Demorcat party, however, Obama got the nomination.

In addition, someone from the right who dare question the wisdom of cap and trade and the state endorsing gay marriage and abortion will continue to be attacked 24/7 by the rabid left. They will be demoized, I dare say far worse than the average man.
  9. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 18:17

The disparity between genders in terms of electe ...[text shortened]... he less ambitious nature of women in general (politically incorrect perhaps, but equally true)
    I wish that were true, but I know women who will not vote for a woman. Then again, I know one woman who believes women should not be allowed to vote, and basically turns her ballot over to her husband.

And feminists don't generally vote for an anti-feminist woman over a feminist man. Maybe a few.

I think women drew a little bit of an advantage for awhile because it was a novelty. But I think we're beyond that point.

But before we conclude any advantages or disadvantages to women, we really need a study of races in which women are paired up against men, preferably in competitive districts.
  10. Pepperland
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 18:18
    So Bachmann

1. Opposes abortion
    2. Opposes gays to be able to marry (which the last I checked Obama did as well)

Yep, she is a fruitcake hell bent on taking all your rights away. I say tar and feather her. She is whithout a doubt on the wrong side of the leftists issues that are most precious to them.
    Well, if you weren't so infatuated with the republican party's latest celebrated extremist Im sure you could understand that by opposing abortion, in the absolutist and religiously-inspired way in which Bachmann does, and being solidly against gay marriage it could be easily argued that indeed Michelle Bachmann is inclined to deprive a considerable number of Americans of their rights.
    In this case, the rights of women over their own body and the rights of homosexuals, who under Bachmann's rule would never come to be treated equally under the law.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 18:31
    I would say that if a woman were to be elected it would have to be one on the left. After all, Hillary beat Obama in the popular vote in the Demorcat party, however, Obama got the nomination.

In addition, someone from the right who dare question the wisdom of cap and trade and the state endorsing gay marriage and abortion will continue to be attacked 24/7 by the rabid left. They will be demoized, I dare say far worse than the average man.
    Well I hope I am never demoized.
  12. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 18:36
    Getting Lexington's state wrong reveals a "profound lack of curiosity about the world"?

😲
    The Lexington comment. Palin's Africa comment and the Bush Doctrine comment. Dana Perino's nonrecognition of the Cuban Missile Crisis (despite having been a poly sci major). Sean Hannity not knowing what a community organizer is.

We know these people aren't stupid, so what accounts for such a basic ignorance. Probably they learned it in school and promptly forgot it once grades were no longer an issue. I've taught before and known those students. Palin in particular fits the prototype - focused goal-oriented intelligence - provincial in interests, no curiosity about the world at large.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong in general, but I personally want a President who is more worldly.
  13. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 20:11
    I know one woman who believes women should not be allowed to vote...
    Ann Coulter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_coulter#Disenfranchisement_of_women

"It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact. In fact, in every presidential election since 1950—except Goldwater in '64—the Republican would have won, if only the men had voted."

___

But I must be misogynistic to suggest that this viewpoint is insane... because this viewpoint is coming from a woman.

Right, whodey?
  14. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 20:232 edits
    So Bachmann

1. Opposes abortion

Excellent selective reading there, whodey. A+.

Bachmann...

1) opposes abortion in cases of rape, incest, and endangerment of the mother.

2) opposed the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (this goes above and beyond your "government in the bedroom" mind games).

3) opposes believing in man-made global warming, evolution, and the potential of stem cell research, all of which are silly in their own rights, too, but they've become litmus tests for Republicans to the point that it's not even worth the effort.

That doesn't even consider her views on other issues not mentioned in the article.

I'd vote against any man who had the same ideology as Bachmann does, and for you to suggest otherwise constitutes a new low for you.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 21:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well I hope I am never demoized.
    So long as you remain politically correct and don't lean towards conservatism and don't have a sex change all should be well with the world. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree