1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 00:51
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I never said, nor meant to say, nor meant to imply, that being "out of the mainstream" somehow prevents a potential candidate from winning the nomination. "Mainstream" U.S. political positions, as defined by opinion polls, are typically representative of the U.S. population at large, not of the voting U.S. population at large.

With that said, that's not the crux of whodey's and my disagreement. I assume that much was obvious.
    What I find both offensive and amusing is how much attention liberals give to potential GOP candidates that they are never going to vote for anyway.

The primary process is so that the parties can determine who best represents their opinions and ideologies, not the other sides, not the mainstreams.

The same applies to conservatives, in elections like the last one who deemed it necessary to pick at either Clinton or Obama. They weren't going to vote for either one, come hell or highwater.

What is usually revealed by criticism of opposing party candidates is the amount of fear that the candidate may beat the favorite of the critiquer.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 00:54
    Originally posted by normbenign
    What is usually revealed by criticism of opposing party candidates is the amount of fear that the candidate may beat the favorite of the critiquer.
    Nah. It's more to do with abject disbelief that people can be so stupid as to fall for the likes of an airhead like Palin or a nutter like Bachmann.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 00:57
    What I find both offensive and amusing is how much attention liberals give to potential GOP candidates that they are never going to vote for anyway.
    You find it offensive?
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 00:581 edit
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Nah. It's more to do with abject disbelief that people can be so stupid as to fall for the likes of an airhead like Palin or a nutter like Bachmann.
    Yeh I kind of feel that way about people who voted for an airhead nutter like Obama.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 01:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    You find it offensive?
    Yeh. Why should liberals care who conservatives choose to represent them? I am offended that people are so self absorbed and arrogant that they can't resist digs at primary candidates. Don't they realize that the other side doesn't agree with them?
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 01:12
    Yeh I kind of feel that way about people who voted for an airhead nutter like Obama.
    Obama may be many things, but he isn't an airhead and hardly a nutter.
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 01:14
    Why should liberals care who conservatives choose to represent them?
    Because the GOP nominee may end up representing Democrats/liberals, too.

And frankly, some second choices are better than others.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 01:16
    Yeh. Why should liberals care who conservatives choose to represent them? I am offended that people are so self absorbed and arrogant that they can't resist digs at primary candidates. Don't they realize that the other side doesn't agree with them?
    You feel offended by people disagreeing with you?
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 01:19
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Obama may be many things, but he isn't an airhead and hardly a nutter.
    You are entitled to your opinion about Obama and the others, but it is just your opinion.
  10. Pepperland
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 01:191 edit
    You shouldn't be surprised with the derision and ridicule directed at the likes of Bachmann, with these kinds of empty-headed dullards the jokes basically write themselves.

Surely the conservative camp can produce more serious candidates no? If only the current selection of republican presidential hopefuls had something of more political substance than their own lack of ideas or their intellectual poverty Im sure liberals, and the media, wouldn't be giving them such a hard time.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 01:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    You feel offended by people disagreeing with you?
    Only when they are offensive in the disagreement, and pretend that their opinion amounts to fact.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 01:22
    You are entitled to your opinion about Obama and the others, but it is just your opinion.
    Are you offended by Soothfast saying Obama "...isn't an airhead and hardly a nutter"?
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 01:25
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    You shouldn't be surprised with the derision and ridicule directed at the likes of Bachmann, with these kinds of empty-headed dullards the jokes basically write themselves.

Surely the conservative camp can produce more serious candidates no? If only the current selection of republican presidential hopefuls had something of more political substance ...[text shortened]... ntellectual poverty Im sure liberals, and the media, wouldn't be giving them such a hard time.
    Historically liberals and the media give Republicans a hard time regardless. You'll remember that John McCain was the darling of the media, and of democrats for his courage and independence of the GOP. But when the rubber met the road, they all turned on him preferring the real thing to a pretender.

"Surely the conservative camp can produce more serious candidates no?"

There are more "serious candidates" in the GOP field than Democrats have produced in four decades, including those who won, and there will be more coming in.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 01:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are you offended by Soothfast saying Obama "...isn't an airhead and hardly a nutter"?
    No but I disagree, and airhead and nutter are trivial. He is also naively marxist, openly discriminatory, and out of his range as far as dealing with the Presidency.
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 01:38
    Historically liberals and the media give Republicans a hard time regardless. You'll remember that John McCain was the darling of the media, and of democrats for his courage and independence of the GOP. But when the rubber met the road, they all turned on him preferring the real thing to a pretender.

"Surely the conservative camp can produce more seri ...[text shortened]... s have produced in four decades, including those who won, and there will be more coming in.
    I think the relationship between the mainstream media and John McCain was alterated the minute McCain began aligning himself with the more extreme factions of the Republican party, by having Palin as a running mate, and subsequently performing all that ideological posturing to attract the crowds of evangelicals and far-right doctrinaires he historically alienated, etc all of it contributed to a change in this relationship. None of which was in any way surprising, or indicative of any real bias by the mainstream media. The truth is that media prefers moderates over ideologues.

There are more "serious candidates" in the GOP field than Democrats have produced in four decades, including those who won, and there will be more coming in.
    What serious candidates are these? The evidently mentally deficient Bachmann? or perhaps Herman Cain, who has a problem with bills containing more than three pages, or would you be referring to Newt Gingrich who believes Obama's presidency will culminate in an atheist society which is simultaneously dominated by islamists? Its hard to pick I know, there are so many serious candidates out there it seems the GOP has a monopoly over seriousness.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree