1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '13 01:28
    "Microsoft is switching off its Windows Live Messenger service on 15 March.

On that date Messenger log-ins will no longer work and users must turn to Skype, said Microsoft in an email sent to all Messenger users.

The email also encouraged users to update to Skype and familiarise themselves with the service before the switch-off.

The service switch is a consequence of Microsoft's acquisition of Skype in October 2011 for $8.5bn (£5.3bn)."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20984820

A few more acquisitions like this and the world could end up with what amounts to a monopoly in providing this kind of facility. Is this to be expected and welcomed?
  2. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    13 Jan '13 01:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    [quote][b]"Microsoft is switching off its Windows Live Messenger service on 15 March.

On that date Messenger log-ins will no longer work and users must turn to Skype, said Microsoft in an email sent to all Messenger users.

The email also encouraged users to update to Skype and familiarise themselves with the service before the switch-off.

The servic ...[text shortened]... mounts to a monopoly in providing this kind of facility. Is this to be expected and welcomed?[/b]
    Yes I got that message yesterday.

So what's all the panic about?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '13 01:44
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    So what's all the panic about?
    The topic is monopoly. In a case like this, is it inevitable? Do some sort of economies of scale trump consumer choice in terms of benefits and efficiency?
  4. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    13 Jan '13 01:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    The topic is monopoly. In a case like this, is it inevitable? Do some sort of economies of scale trump consumer choice in terms of benefits and efficiency?
    The short answer to that is yes, if they are big enough to dominate
    the corporate world.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jan '13 01:54
    It really pissed me off when Google took over Yahoo and logged me out of the one when I logged into the other.
  6. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    13 Jan '13 01:57
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It really pissed me off when Google took over Yahoo and logged me out of the one when I logged into the other.
    As that guy in the Simpson's says...................Ha Ha.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    13 Jan '13 11:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is an interesting case, because in social networks, messaging services etc. monopolization is driven by social reasons - people only want to use one or at most a few messaging services so they will use whatever their friends are using. Entry to the market is easy, but convincing people that it's worth switching to a different messaging service is hard.
  8. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    13 Jan '13 19:221 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    it seems the greatest irony of slavishly following the free market libertarian view, is that unbridled competition tends towards monopoly. Without a well regulated market and strong governmental agencies to police anti-trust activities, consumer needs are usually the first casualty in the war of continued market performance and growth to satisfy and maintain skittish investor confidence. There are other casualties of this approach. Justice for one. Just look at HSBC. Now we have too big to prosecute!
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 02:03
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    As that guy in the Simpson's says...................Ha Ha.
    That would be Muntz. Nelson Muntz.
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 03:13
    Messenger has become Skype so I guess MS bought out Skype

Manny
  11. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 06:22
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    That would be Muntz. Nelson Muntz.
    No relation to Hutz, Lionel Hutz.
  12. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 22:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    [quote][b]"Microsoft is switching off its Windows Live Messenger service on 15 March.

The servic ...[text shortened]... mounts to a monopoly in providing this kind of facility. Is this to be expected and welcomed?[/b]
    Bill Gates never let a charge of monopoly get in the way of his way of doing business.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 23:21
    Originally posted by kmax87
    .. unbridled competition tends towards monopoly. Without a well regulated market and strong governmental agencies to police anti-trust activities, consumer needs are usually the first casualty ...
    I remember IBM's near monopoly .....

Microsoft, Google, Apple they still have to be at the top of their game.
  14. Joined
    04 May '11
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 18:33
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Google never took over Yahoo. Are you sure you don't mean something else?
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 18:411 edit
    Originally posted by Vartiovuori
    Google never took over Yahoo. Are you sure you don't mean something else?
    Something changed some years back such that my gmail account and yahoo account could not be logged in at the same time. IDK what caused that but it really pissed me off.

Take a look here:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/youtube/c5lPZNudfqk

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree