1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 18:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    [quote][b]"Microsoft is switching off its Windows Live Messenger service on 15 March.

On that date Messenger log-ins will no longer work and users must turn to Skype, said Microsoft in an email sent to all Messenger users.

The email also encouraged users to update to Skype and familiarise themselves with the service before the switch-off.

The servic ...[text shortened]... mounts to a monopoly in providing this kind of facility. Is this to be expected and welcomed?[/b]
    I just spoke to a friend yesterday that used to use Skype, but now has another, better service where she video chats withe her son in South Africa. It's called progress.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 18:53
    Originally posted by kmax87
    it seems the greatest irony of slavishly following the free market libertarian view, is that unbridled competition tends towards monopoly. Without a well regulated market and strong governmental agencies to police anti-trust activities, consumer needs are usually the first casualty in the war of continued market performance and growth to satisfy and maintain ...[text shortened]... sualties of this approach. Justice for one. Just look at HSBC. Now we have too big to prosecute!
    Most of the "slavish following" is toward the government planning interventionist mode. Free market libertarianism is barely breathing.
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 18:56
    Originally posted by Vartiovuori
    Google never took over Yahoo. Are you sure you don't mean something else?
    Google owns Yahoo
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 18:58
    Google bought youtube in 2006 and apparently somehow that lets them log me out of yahoo mail.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 19:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Google bought youtube in 2006 and apparently somehow that lets them log me out of yahoo mail.
    Fortunately, there are still many options to GMail, and many are free.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree