Mindfulness

Standard membermchill
Debates 06 Jul '18 16:42
  1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 Jul '18 16:42
    This is a pretty popular word these days. I see it on magazine covers, in Yoga publications, and even hear it on CNBC financial news on occasion. So, what is it? One definition I found is:

“Mindfulness means maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment.”

This sounds pretty silly to me. How can one be totally aware of their body sensations and everything around them? Is this just a fad that will soon go away, or is there something more to it?
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    06 Jul '18 16:47
    Originally posted by @mchill
    This is a pretty popular word these days. I see it on magazine covers, in Yoga publications, and even hear it on CNBC financial news on occasion. So, what is it? One definition I found is:

“Mindfulness means maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment.”

This sounds pretty silly to m ...[text shortened]... ything around them? Is this just a fad that will soon go away, or is there something more to it?
    It's Buddhist. Take mindfulness, mix it with gratitude for all that's good in life, and be happy.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    06 Jul '18 16:571 edit

This sounds pretty silly to m ...[text shortened]... ything around them? Is this just a fad that will soon go away, or is there something more to it?
    It’s a meditation technique.

It’s used to ground you, to train you to focus on the here and now, instead of what’s in the past and future.
    Yoda pretty much summed it up.

Generally, we’re so busy going to work, coming home, worrying about money, watching sports / films / etc. to stop and feel ourselves breath.

To sit and really listen to the birds chirping; everytime you realise that a thought’s popped into your head, friendly push it aside and listen to the birds.

Grounding yourself is important. It calms you down.
    Google: breath pauses and give it a try. It’s a simple meditation which takes 3 minutes.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 04:181 edit

Not a fad . Been around for milleniums. Easy for the righteous
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 04:24

More a 'being-in-the-moment' as compared to a 'disconnectedness' that we can feel, ironically, by spending every waking moment 'plugged in'.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 07:24
    This is a pretty popular word these days. I see it on magazine covers, in Yoga publications...
    You read yoga publications?
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 07:51
    Another thing mindfulness is really good for is swotting.

If you need to cram a lot of information into your head, spend the first five minutes being mindful. Empty that noggin, stop worrying and stop thinking about the next chess move.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 08:03
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Another thing mindfulness is really good for is swotting.

If you need to cram a lot of information into your head, spend the first five minutes being mindful. Empty that noggin, stop worrying and stop thinking about the next chess move.
    'Swotting'?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 08:252 edits
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    'Swotting'?
    British informal
    the act of studying a subject intensively, as for an examination
    “We soon found that our daughter Iona had done some swotting anyway.”

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/swotting
  10. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 09:061 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    British informal
    the act of studying a subject intensively, as for an examination
    “We soon found that our daughter Iona had done some swotting anyway.”

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/swotting
    Oh...nice! We yanks use the word "cramming".
    "No honey, not tonight, I'm busy cramming for this exam."

I love learning informal English slang. Some of it is rather clever.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 09:45
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    Oh...nice! We yanks use the word "cramming".
    "No honey, not tonight, I'm busy cramming for this exam."

I love learning informal English slang. Some of it is rather clever.
    Beat me to it.

Yes, same as the American "cramming".
  12. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 10:58
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    It's Buddhist. Take mindfulness, mix it with gratitude for all that's good in life, and be happy.
    The past is an ever changing memory. Put a fork in it. Digest that which makes you strong and joyful and forever flush the rest. Lives are wasted when the mind is occupied in the past and the future. Reality only exists in the present moment. Live your life there, within this very breath, paying attention to subtleties and beauty within the present moment. There is quite a bit of ligit current research on the benefits, physically and mentally, of mindfulness, meditation and yoga.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree