1. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 11:421 edit
    A McDonalds hamburger costs $4.82 in Juneau Alaska. The same sandwich is $2.24 in Conway Arkansas.
    If Bill in Alaska eats one a week, that is $250.64/yr
    If John in Arkansas eats the same, that is $126.48//yr.

So, roughly twice as much is the cost of living for poor Bill. But he and John BOTH make $30,000 a year. Bill will struggle, John will have enough leftover to buy school books.

This is the most simple reason to NOT have a minimum wage. Leave it to the states...like our country should do for everything, except for maybe being in charge of the atomic bomb.
  2. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 11:571 edit
    Any increase in the minimum wage or adopting a standard just gets absorbed by the following price increases by companies.

We have a minimum wage here and when it goes up so do prices.
    It's all relative.

If the minimum wage was increased to 10 thousand dollars an hour it would not make a difference because companies would increase prices accordingly.

"Medium coffee please"
    "That will be $2,565 sir"
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 12:07
    Ugh here we go again.

Recycling the same tired nonsense proven again and again to be crap.

I wonder how you will work AOC and Venezuela into this discussion . I guess we will see
  4. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 12:19
    @zahlanzi said
    Ugh here we go again.

Recycling the same tired nonsense proven again and again to be crap.

I wonder how you will work AOC and Venezuela into this discussion . I guess we will see
    You are ON it Zahlanzi. Thanks for your informative response, to really tighten up your thinking that the minimum wage is a good thing for Alaska and Arkansas. The same wage. A great post. Geez
  5. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 12:20
    @phil-a-dork said
    Any increase in the minimum wage or adopting a standard just gets absorbed by the following price increases by companies.

We have a minimum wage here and when it goes up so do prices.
    It's all relative.

If the minimum wage was increased to 10 thousand dollars an hour it would not make a difference because companies would increase prices accordingly.

"Medium coffee please"
    "That will be $2,565 sir"
    Yes, to follow up, when they find out that the guy in Arkansas has more money to spend, they probably will raise the price of his hamburger. Economics 101
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 12:262 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 12:28
    Our minimum wages are different state by state. What's the big deal?
  8. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 12:43
    @kewpie said
    Our minimum wages are different state by state. What's the big deal?
    The deal is thst this is a different country, diff program, we have a 3 branch govt, we are 50 states, need I go on. Next you will tell us to go Nordic or Fiiiinnland.
    Oh help.
  9. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 12:481 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    With all due respect, my post points out why it has to be state by state. Surely you see that. You say a state can set its own. Yes like i said. Now....what would that have to do with the federal government? Why are liberals all hung up on the federal government?
    Federal Min Wage??? Well hell, why not $50/hr? And why stop there?
    Duchess ,is it logicalthat a citizen in Arkansas have more buying power than some guy in Alaska doing the same job for the same pay?
    Can ANY of you answer that? I’ll take an answer either from Mott or Earl Trumps.....anybody!!
  10. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 12:542 edits
    @AverageJoe1

Cost of materials comes into play too.
    If I buy one million pounds of beef I will get it at a cheaper price than you because you are only buying one hundred thousand pounds of beef.

In my country a burger is a lot more than the prices you gave as examples because we have a low population so we buy less wholesale meat and our taxes are high.

But that doesn't really work because NY has a high population and high prices 🤔

I guess I don't know 😔
  11. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 13:10
    @zahlanzi said
    Ugh here we go again.

I
    Well, yes, because of the usual waffling Biden has decided to maybe Nix the minimum wage increase. Thought it might be worth a discussion.
    I wonder who made the decision for him?
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 13:14
    @averagejoe1 said
    A McDonalds hamburger costs $4.82 in Juneau Alaska. The same sandwich is $2.24 in Conway Arkansas.

So, roughly twice as much is the cost of living for poor Bill. But he and John BOTH make $30,000 a year. Bill will struggle, John will have enough lefto ...[text shortened]... es...like our country should do for everything, except for maybe being in charge of the atomic bomb.
    A McDonalds hamburger costs $4.82 in Juneau Alaska because people are paying that price by choice. Maybe it is because there are not enough cattle in Alaska and it is farther to ship ground beef.

That has nothing to do with the minimum wage. Minimum wage has been outpaced by inflation. This is the most simple reason to have a minimum wage increase. You are unwittingly supporting economic slavery using flawed logic.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 13:426 edits
    @metal-brain said
    A McDonalds hamburger costs $4.82 in Juneau Alaska because people are paying that price by choice. Maybe it is because there are not enough cattle in Alaska and it is farther to ship ground beef.

That has nothing to do with the minimum wage. Minimum wage has been outpaced by inflation. This is the most simple reason to have a minimum wage increase. You are unwittingly supporting economic slavery using flawed logic.
    How do you see a doubling of the minimum wage playing out? Who is going to absorb the loss of profit?

Reveal Hidden Content
    Hint: It will be the same people who have always absorbed the loss of profits...the working class.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 14:19
    @averagejoe1 said

So, roughly twice as much is the cost of living for poor Bill. But he and John BOTH make $30,000 a year. Bill will struggle, John will have enough lefto ...[text shortened]... es...like our country should do for everything, except for maybe being in charge of the atomic bomb.
    This is economic illiteracy; IF a McDonalds in Conway, Arkansas could profitably sell a hamburger for $4.82, it would.

Google "supply and demand", Joe.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 14:21
    @joe-shmo said
    How do you see a doubling of the minimum wage playing out? Who is going to absorb the loss of profit?

[hidden]Hint: It will be the same people who have always absorbed the loss of profits...the working class.[/hidden]
    So rising wages would hurt the working class?

Do you have any historical evidence to back such an absurd conclusion?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree