Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 29 May '09 18:20
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8074527.stm
    (extract from the text)

    There are signs that North Korea may be planning more missile launches, US defence officials say.

    "Defence officials in Washington said US satellite photos had revealed vehicle activity at a site in North Korea used to fire long-range missiles.

    The vehicle movements resembled activity before North Korea fired a long-range rocket last month, the officials said.

    The North fired another short-range missile on Friday, the sixth this week.

    The officials, speaking on conditions of anonymity, said the US was closely monitoring the North's missile sites and other sensitive facilities.

    However, a Pentagon official told the BBC that the US had noticed this type of activity on previous occasions which did not always lead to a missile being fired.

    The official said activity at this site had been going on for more than a couple of days, but did not know for how long exactly."

    The hardline communist state, under President Kim Jong-il, has also threatened military action against the South after Seoul's decision to join a US-led Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI) under which North Korean ships could be stopped and searched.

    Pyongyang says this decision is tantamount to an act of war and that it is no longer bound by the Armistice which in 1953 brought an end to the Korean War.
  2. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    29 May '09 18:28
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8074527.stm
    (extract from the text)

    [b]There are signs that North Korea may be planning more missile launches, US defence officials say.


    "Defence officials in Washington said US satellite photos had revealed vehicle activity at a site in North Korea used to fire long-range missiles.

    The vehic ...[text shortened]... that it is no longer bound by the Armistice which in 1953 brought an end to the Korean War.[/b]
    Can you point North Korea out on a map?
  3. 29 May '09 18:49
    I think this President Kim Jong-il is a nut and a potentially dangerous one at that.
    Seriously, I think some nation should, if at all feasible, secretly arrange to assassinate him (before he has any more chances to do anything REALLY stupid that would start world war 3) and make sure (make very VERY sure!) that the assassination CANNOT be traced back to them else such an assassination could provoke an all out war which would be a lot worse than merely defeating the whole point of such an assassination.
  4. Standard member Scriabin
    Done Asking
    29 May '09 18:56
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I think this President Kim Jong-il is a nut and a potentially dangerous one at that.
    Seriously, I think some nation should, if at all feasible, secretly arrange to assassinate him (before he has any more chances to do anything REALLY stupid that would start world war 3) and make sure (make very VERY sure!) that the assassination CANNOT be traced ba ...[text shortened]... t war which would be a lot worse than merely defeating the whole point of such an assassination.
    hence, his survival.

    the whole thing is about the successor to the Dear Leader.

    it is thought likely that the favorite to take the throne, err, presidency, is Kim's son Menta Li
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    29 May '09 19:06
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    hence, his survival.

    the whole thing is about the successor to the Dear Leader.

    it is thought likely that the favorite to take the throne, err, presidency, is Kim's son Menta Li
    Wocka wocka wocka!
  6. 29 May '09 19:29
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    hence, his survival.

    the whole thing is about the successor to the Dear Leader.

    it is thought likely that the favorite to take the throne, err, presidency, is Kim's son Menta Li
    I see.
    Is Kim's son Menta Li reasonably rational?
    Does anyone know about his general character?
  7. 29 May '09 19:39
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I see.
    Is Kim's son Menta Li reasonably rational?
    Does anyone know about his general character?
    He tends to let jokes go over his head, but other than that he's alright I guess.
  8. 29 May '09 20:26
    they fired off another one today, the 29th.does that make 6? not sure. He clearly has no fear.What can the U.N do to him? They are impotent, he knows this. The U.S. will do nothing. When leaders like this sense what they deem as weakness,they act. They do not respect diplomacy,letters, or "stern" responses. They are in power and stay in power because they are ruthless. N.Korea will be another nuke nation for good and nobody is gonna stop them
  9. Standard member Scriabin
    Done Asking
    29 May '09 20:38 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    they fired off another one today, the 29th.does that make 6? not sure. He clearly has no fear.What can the U.N do to him? They are impotent, he knows this. The U.S. will do nothing. When leaders like this sense what they deem as weakness,they act. They do not respect diplomacy,letters, or "stern" responses. They are in power and stay in power because they are ruthless. N.Korea will be another nuke nation for good and nobody is gonna stop them
    worse than that -- much worse.

    N.Korea built the Iranian-funded nuclear facility in Syria taken out by the Israelis in September 2007. That facility was a clone of the one in N. Korea you see on satellite photos.

    N. Korea works closely with Iran and is the major source of Iranian missile tech -- not China or Pakistan. A Swiss news daily reported last March that the former dep defense minister of Iran, a general in the Revolutionary Guards, defected and spilled the beans, so to speak.

    Hawks in Israel are getting rather hot under the collar, as Iran launched military exercises at sea the same day as the N.Korean nuclear test -- the Iranian president stated that day that the Iranian nuclear issue "was over."

    The hard liners in Jerusalem don't think so.
  10. 29 May '09 21:03
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    worse than that -- much worse.

    N.Korea built the Iranian-funded nuclear facility in Syria taken out by the Israelis in September 2007. That facility was a clone of the one in N. Korea you see on satellite photos.

    N. Korea works closely with Iran and is the major source of Iranian missile tech -- not China or Pakistan. A Swiss news daily reported last ...[text shortened]... that the Iranian nuclear issue "was over."

    The hard liners in Jerusalem don't think so.
    yes i agree w/ you and was aware of that. just did not mention it. Anyday now the @#*$ is gonna hit the fan. Not trying to sound like an alarmist but I think its a very real possibility .
  11. Standard member Wheely
    Instant Buzz
    29 May '09 22:28
    The very fact that a country that has described N Korea as evil is able to tell us in such detail what vehicles are moving where in N Korea goes a long way towards explaining N Korea´s actions.
  12. 29 May '09 22:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Wheely
    The very fact that a country that has described N Korea as evil is able to tell us in such detail what vehicles are moving where in N Korea goes a long way towards explaining N Korea´s actions.
    What? You strung too many words together and stopped making sense about half way through the sentence.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 May '09 23:02
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    the Iranian president stated that day that the Iranian nuclear issue "was over."
    the Iranian president is in the midst of an election campaign, culminating on June 12. building a nuclear deterrent is apparently extremely popular with the Iranian people.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 May '09 23:04
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Not trying to sound like an alarmist
    Alarmist? I don't sense that. From you and Sam The Sham i'm getting more of a sense of glee. Concern about North Korea is one thing. Glee is alarming.
  15. 30 May '09 00:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    Alarmist? I don't sense that. From you and Sam The Sham i'm getting more of a sense of glee. Concern about North Korea is one thing. Glee is alarming.
    Stop making up things. Nobody is acting gleeful.