1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 15:35
    Ah shucks, someone left the stable door open!
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 15:36
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    The question is why do people not feel safer?
    Daily Mail maybe? Daily Telegraph? Daily Express? 24/7 rolling TV news?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 15:37
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I can go to bed at night without locking my door. I guess your brand of christianity is really popular here (hint: it's not).

I must commend you whodey, out of all the absurd things you have posted on this forum, a causal link between lack of prayer in schools and mass shootings must rank way up there in ridiculousness.
    What is your theory then?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 15:38
    Yet in surveys where people are asked about their perception of crime they think exactly the opposite. Crime is going down yet they think things are getting worse.
    Crazy, huh?
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 15:40
    I thought the data showed that over the last 30 years the number of gun owners and percentage of households with guns had declined?!

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/31/politics/gun-ownership-declining/index.html?iref=allsearch

Curiously the number of guns owned has gone up.
    There is a small decline in households with guns percentage-wise, and as you point out more guns owned by those who do own them.

During the same period, a great many more State don't restrict concealed carry anymore. Again, side by side comparison can't result in any proof of causation.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 15:44
    The question is why do people not feel safer? It's interesting that in the UK, crime; and pretty much all crime, is on the decrease and is at it's lowest rate for 10 years or more. Yet in surveys where people are asked about their perception of crime they think exactly the opposite. Crime is going down yet they think things are getting worse.
    A lot of it lies in the wall to wall coverage criminal events get in our news media. If it bleeds, it leads. This was of course true of Newspapers, but they were published daily. The TV and radio blare this stuff 24/7, and when you tire of that there is always the internet.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 15:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    What is your theory then?
    About the increasing prevalence of mass shootings? I don't think extreme exceptional events initiated by loony people reflect on a society in general, really. Perhaps the increased prevalence is partially due to increased media exposure which causes suicidal crazy people to be more likely to go out with a "bang".
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 16:303 edits
    About the increasing prevalence of mass shootings? I don't think extreme exceptional events initiated by loony people reflect on a society in general, really. Perhaps the increased prevalence is partially due to increased media exposure which causes suicidal crazy people to be more likely to go out with a "bang".
    Ben Franklin once wrote, "The Constitution is likely to be well administered for a coarse of years, and can only end in despotism as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become corrupt as to need despotic government, being incapable of any other".

Take any perfect form of government or any perfect ideology for that matter, and give it to a morally bankrupt society and they will defecate on it.

In terms of desoptism, as laws increase liberty decreases. I find it telling that the government passed over 40,000 laws and regulations last year. Pretty soon we may feel the need to hire private body gaurds to guard our homes.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 16:36
    Ben Franklin once wrote, "The Constitution is likely to be well administered for a coarse of years, and can only end in despotism as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become corrupt as to need despotic government, being incapable of any other".

Take any perfect form of government or any perfect ideology for that matter, and give it t ...[text shortened]... s last year. Pretty soon we may feel the need to hire private body gaurds to guard our homes.
    The amount of laws itself has little bearing on "liberty". Some laws are not or only barely enforced, applicable in very limited cases or simply obsolete. But what does your story have to do with mass shootings?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 16:55
    The amount of laws itself has little bearing on "liberty". Some laws are not or only barely enforced, applicable in very limited cases or simply obsolete. But what does your story have to do with mass shootings?
    Give an example of a law that does not infringe upon ones liberty.

I would like to provide another favorite quote of mine by the Father of the Contitution, James Madison.

"We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We have staked the future of all our mankind for self government; upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments".

Silly old fart.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 17:15
    A law against murder enhances liberty. But "liberty" is such a vague term; how are you defining it?
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 17:56
    Originally posted by sh76
    As soon as Presdient Obama started quoting scripture last night I turned on the mute button and waited for the Pats-SF game to come back. Wake me up when we get to policy discussion. I don't care what you think God thinks about the wanton murder of children.

Anyway, I noticed a cartoon making the rounds on Facebook of a bunch of children in a classroom in th ...[text shortened]... l, the vast majority of independent'e developed societies developed some sort of religion.
    So religion for leftists is simply a thing of convenience. That's the conclusion that I reached while watching the news coverage of the event. All of a sudden churches have a place of respect, but only when we are mourning the dead. Hypocrites one and all.

I applaud you for rejecting religion altogether.
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 18:11
    Originally posted by sh76
    As soon as Presdient Obama started quoting scripture last night I turned on the mute button and waited for the Pats-SF game to come back. Wake me up when we get to policy discussion. I don't care what you think God thinks about the wanton murder of children.

Anyway, I noticed a cartoon making the rounds on Facebook of a bunch of children in a classroom in th ...[text shortened]... l, the vast majority of independent'e developed societies developed some sort of religion.
    People often turn to religion in tragic times, which is why the US military provides chaplains. Since the large majority of military members are Christian the vast majority of Chaplains are of some Christian denomination.

I don't have a problem with his religion being referenced in this context. When politicians start talking about "The bible says.." when talking about legislation, that is when I stop listening.
  14. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 18:19

I would like to provide another favorite quote of mine by the Father of the Contitution, James Madison.

"We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We have staked the future of all our mankind for self government; upon the ca ...[text shortened]... control ourselves to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments".

Silly old fart.
    The irony here is that you almost revere the founding fathers (who in many cases adamantly disagreed with each other) almost the point of being a religion.

Some of the founding fathers, including George Washington owned slaves. Shall we follow suit? I mean the founding fathers thought it was OK, right?

They were living in scarcely populated colonies completely void of any modern technology, with no modern means of communication, travel or infrastructure. What would the founding fathers' thoughts be on the High Performance Computing Act of 1991?
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 18:23
    As Bill Hicks pointed out: there's no difference between not owning a gun and not shooting someone and owning a gun and shooting someone, and you're a fool and a communist if you think there is.

That being said (having weapons at one's disposal to carry out one's mental melt-down), I've not actually seen any research as to the 'why' these mental melt-downs are actually happening.
    One would think, considering the frequency it happens in the US, that they would be thoroughly researching the causes of this madness.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree