1. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 18:41
    Originally posted by whodey
    All I know is that prayer was taken out of schools in 1962. The mass shooting epidemic began in the mid 1960's.

Why do you think that was? In addition, is the moral fiber of people today better than before my version of God had been stripped from society? Could you go to bed at night without so much as locking your door?

And you are right, even if yo ...[text shortened]... o I suppose the one with all the political power wins and should man up and they should own it.
    The shootings have nothing to with the gun laws. Although anyone that wishes to own a gun should have their head examined....for to own a gun is to want to kill.

The shootings have nothing to do with religion.....but anyone who wants to join a religion is voluntarily forgoing their own knowledge and wealth of science to follow an ancient doctrine written for another person in another time.

Trust yourself, try to make good decisions that fit to your conscience, thank you.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 18:44
    Originally posted by invigorate
    but anyone who wants to join a religion is voluntarily forgoing their own knowledge and wealth of science to follow an ancient doctrine written for another person in another time.

Trust yourself, try to make good decisions that fit to your conscience, thank you.
    A very good description of your religious beliefs, the religion that says there is no God.

Very typical to then claim that your religion is truth and all others believe a lie.
  3. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 19:09
    Originally posted by Eladar
    A very good description of your religious beliefs, the religion that says there is no God.

Very typical to then claim that your religion is truth and all others believe a lie.
    I don't say that I know best.
    But I'm responsible for my own decisions.
    I would like to form opinion based on a variety of sources!
  4. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 19:43
    ...to own a gun is to want to kill.
    Not at all. Did Nancy Lanza 'want to kill'?!?
  5. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 20:16
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Not at all. Did Nancy Lanza 'want to kill'?!?
    Why own a real gun if have no intention of using it?
  6. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 20:19
    Why own a real gun if have no intention of using it?
    Whom do you think she intended to kill?

I have owned guns with no intention to kill.

Whom do you think normbenign intends to kill?
  7. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 20:28
    Whom do you think she intended to kill?

I have owned guns with no intention to kill.

Whom do you think normbenign intends to kill?
    Why would you own a gun that you have no intention of using?
    Do you buy food you have no intention of eating?
  8. Germany
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 20:31
    For the same reason people buy a sports car even though they have no intention of using it for sports.
  9. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 20:39
    You think if I am not using something, then I shouldn't be allowed to buy/own it?

We call the ability to do that 'liberty,' and we value liberty a lot. We don't like people telling us what they think we should do because, in general, it is NOTFB.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 20:47
    Originally posted by whodey
    Give an example of a law that does not infringe upon ones liberty.

I would like to provide another favorite quote of mine by the Father of the Contitution, James Madison.

"We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We have staked the future of all our mankind for self government; upon the ca ...[text shortened]... control ourselves to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments".

Silly old fart.
    (Sigh):

The only problem with the above is, no such quote has ever been found among any of James Madison's writings. None of the biographers of Madison, past or present have ever run across such a quote, and most if not all would love to know where this false quote originated.

http://candst.tripod.com/misq1.htm
  11. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 20:52
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    For the same reason people buy a sports car even though they have no intention of using it for sports.
    Buying gun because you can? Like a status symbol? How crazy is that? They serve no useful purpose whatsoever!

Guns serve to other purpose but kill, maim or frighten people. Maybe you pick your noses with yours by I find my finger a safer option.

At least with a sports car fat middle aged men can show people they've they have turned into an insecure twit and actually use it to get from A to B.
  12. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 20:56
    You think if I am not using something, then I shouldn't be allowed to buy/own it?

We call the ability to do that 'liberty,' and we value liberty a lot. We don't like people telling us what they think we should do because, in general, it is NOTFB.
    Exactly my point you're taking liberties!
    Liberties are taken every time a gun gets used!
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 21:06
    Buying gun because you can? Like a status symbol? How crazy is that? They serve no useful purpose whatsoever!

Guns serve to other purpose but kill, maim or frighten people. Maybe you pick your noses with yours by I find my finger a safer option.

At least with a sports car fat middle aged men can show people they've they have turned into an insecure twit and actually use it to get from A to B.
    Your outlook on both cars and guns is preposterous.

I've owned performance cars in the past (a 99 Corvette and a 2001 Saleen Mustang S281). When I had the Corvette my girlfriend at the time had the same attitude you did, that all the power and handling was wasted. That is until we traded cars one day so she could take it to the shop while I was at work. After driving it for a day she didn't want to give it back because it was so much fun to drive. I still have a passion for cars, and it has absolutely nothing to do with self image.

My uncle lives in Canada and he's a renowned longbow marksman. The bow & arrow has a long history of being in war and for hunting, just like guns. He owns multiple bows, so is he out to frighten people?
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 21:16
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    As Bill Hicks pointed out: there's no difference between not owning a gun and not shooting someone and owning a gun and shooting someone, and you're a fool and a communist if you think there is.

That being said (having weapons at one's disposal to carry out one's mental melt-down), I've not actually seen any research as to the 'why' these mental melt-do ...[text shortened]... happens in the US, that they would be thoroughly researching the causes of this madness.
    What I've asked: what research has been done into the causes of this behaviour?
    Banning guns makes the behaviour harder to achieve, it doesn't prevent the causes.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 22:10
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    What I've asked: what research has been done into the causes of this behaviour?
    Banning guns makes the behaviour harder to achieve, it doesn't prevent the causes.
    I linked to this article in another thread, but I'll post it in its entirety:

Yet these sorts of headlines are also becoming gut-wrenchingly familiar. Of the 12 deadliest shootings in U.S. history, six have taken place since 2007. (The Newton school shooting will likely rank second on that list.) Mass killings appear to be on the upswing — even as other types of homicides and violent crimes are becoming less frequent.

David Brooks highlighted this discrepancy back in July. For much of the 20th century there were, on average, a handful of mass killings per decade. But that number spiked in 1980, and kept rising thereafter. In the United States, there have now been at least 62 mass shootings in the past three decades, with 24 in the last seven years alone. This has happened even as the nation’s overall violent crime and homicide rates have been dropping.

So what explains the rise in mass killings?

One theory is that mass murders (usually defined as murders with four or more victims over a short time period) are somehow contagious. Back in 1999, four public health researchers published a famous study titled “Media and Mass Homicides” in the Archives of Suicide Research. They studied a series of mass homicides in Australia, New Zealand, and Britain in the 1980s and 1990s and found that different incidents appeared to be influenced by each other in a number of ways, often spanning many years and across continents.

The idea that one spree killing might inspire another has given rise to plenty of articles and papers about whether the press should be more conscientious in the way it reports on these events. Giving a murderer too much publicity might be a bad idea.

A great deal of research, however, suggests that behavioral scientists just don’t have a strong grasp on what drives mass killings and violent rampages, or why they’ve surged in recent decades. Here’s how a 2010 article in the Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology sums it up:

Incidents of mass murder have gained considerable media attention, but are not well understood in behavioral sciences. Current definitions are weak, and may include politically or ideologically motivated phenomenon. Our current understanding of the phenomenon indicates these incidents are not peculiar to only western cultures, and appear to be increasing.

And here’s a 2012 article from the American Journal of Public Health, coming to a similar conclusion:

To understand and prevent rampage violence, we need to acknowledge that current discipline-based violence research is not well suited to this specific challenge. There are numerous important, unanswered research questions that can inform policies designed to prevent rampage violence.

Mental illness is one likely factor — a survey by Mother Jones found that at least 38 of the 61 mass shooters in the past three decades “displayed signs of mental health problems prior to the killings.” Yet the studies above note that researchers still have a ways to go before they understand the exact connection between the two.

And what about the availability of guns as a factor? Researchers have found a connection between guns and homicide — more guns tend to lead to more murder. And guns will obviously make any mass attack far deadlier. Note that there was also an attack on 22 students in a Chinese elementary school on Friday. But there was a key difference: The man only had a knife, and there were zero fatalities.

Again, though, overall gun violence in the United States has been declining in recent years while mass shootings and killings appear to have become more commonplace. It’s not entirely clear why that is. And it’s an increasingly important question.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/14/why-are-mass-shootings-becoming-more-frequent/

There are links to the studies mentioned in the article itself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree