1. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your hypothetical involves China standing by without acting as its global rival attacks a country along the Chinese border and one that China more or less 'sponsors'?
    Who makes Chinas economy thrive?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:55
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Hypothetically speaking,they do a strike of some sort on S.Korea.(Not all that far fetched. They just did a act of war sinking a ship.)
    What would be the response of the current administration?
    Same thing it was before. United Nations forces fight back.
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:59
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Same thing it was before. United Nations forces fight back.
    Would Mexico be sending troops as well?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:11
    Who makes Chinas economy thrive?
    So your hypothetical DOES involve China standing by without acting as a country along its border, that it more or less sponsors, is attacked?
  5. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:20
    This is a tough one. North Korea may be counting on help from China, but does China really want to be involved?
    The thing I would like to see, is China step across the border, and slap some common sense in to North korea. It won't happen though, and the sabre rattling will continue.
    Here is a chance for Mexican immigrants to get in the fast lane for citizenship,, sign up for a tour of duty, and we'll take you? JK
    Why is it, at any given time someone rocks th apple cart of the world? Human nature for conflict?
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    So your hypothetical DOES involve China standing by without acting as a country along its border, that it more or less sponsors, is attacked?
    The scenario was them being the aggressor. I doubt China would condone those actions. I doubt China would piss away all the U.S. debt they hold and all the very favorable trade they have w/the U.S. If not for the U.S their economy would go belly up. The U.S. is worth a lot more to China than N.Korea.
    No I do not think they would engage in a war w/the U.S. and NATO over N.Korea in your scenarios
  7. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    How long do you think it would take for the U.S./R.O.K. to defeat DPRK [and not necessarily install a new regime] with China militarily opposing it and without the deployment of nuclear weapons?
    China is that wild card, and I see no reason that they would not come to the Norths aide, do you?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:24
    No I do not think [China] would engage in a war w/the U.S. and NATO over N.Korea in your scenarios
    Thank you.
  9. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:24
    Alot has changed since the first Korean war,, as UTP stated, China depends alot on us for their economy now.
    If China stood back, we would whip them in a year or less.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:25
    I would say a few months.
    They have no air force to speak of ,no navy. they dont have the resources to fight a long war. their troops and civilians are starving. I believe our navy alone could bomb them into submission.

Now with China "opposed" to it, I dont know what you mean. fighting us militarily? I doubt that would happen
    That's what McArthur thought until the Chinese handed the US its worst military defeat in modern history in November 1950.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:26
    Originally posted by normbenign
    That is another thing differing from Iraq or Afghanistan. We would be fighting alongside Koreans to liberate their northern brethren. I'll bet there are a whole lot of N. Koreans if given the choice they would prefer the S. Korean government and prosperity to the N. Korean tyranny.
    The same argument was made for Iraq and Afghanistan (and Vietnam) for that matter. How'd that theory work out?
  12. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:26
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That's what McArthur thought until the Chinese handed the US its worst military defeat in modern history in November 1950.
    A whole different set of circumstances from 1950 to 2010
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:28
    Yes I do [think the U.S. could handle a full scale war on the Korean peninsular right now despite the fact it's currently fighting on two fronts in western/central Asia.]
    How many ground troops would you imagine the U.S. committing? What would be 'acceptable casualty levels' for the U.S.? Do you imagine that the N.Koreans, in the event of war, would succeed in hitting targets in South Korea and Japan with nuclear warheads?
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    How many ground troops would you imagine the U.S. committing? What would be 'acceptable casualty levels' for the U.S.? Do you imagine that the N.Koreans, in the event of war, would succeed in hitting targets in South Korea and Japan with nuclear warheads?
    What scenario are we talking about fmf? First you said no nukes and now its nukes!
  15. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 02:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's not real clear to me how many they have. Does anyone know?
    I think we have 47K troops there now?
    I think we could bomb them in to the stone age in a week though.
    You're right, it would be bloody though, I wouldn't want to call the shots.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree