1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 17:161 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    at the bottom of this page there is a link titled "1". click on THAT link, then scroll down 3 and 4 posts.
    I don't click your links - not since the Vietnam-War-airbrushed-out-U.S.-wars-website that you had me go to. Never again. Sorry.
  2. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 17:16
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Society determines what government bureaucrats determine.
    Do you suppose that those who live under despotic regimes would agree with that statement?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 17:22
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    Do you suppose that those who live under despotic regimes would agree with that statement?
    Obviously a representative democracy with proportional representation is needed for effective society control on government officials.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 18:461 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Vietnam-War-airbrushed-out-U.S.-wars-website
    Sounds interesting.

Where's the link?

😉
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 19:07
    So is it better to have an autocrat who can just grab what he wants from people's wallets?

Is it better to have no government at all?

No. So what is this objection against so-called "mob rule" based on? Good ole Friedman fetishism again?
    The best of all systems is that there is a difficult to alter set of laws upon which society can depend, a Constitution.

No government usually degenerates into tyranny or oligarchy. Democracy usually degenerates into anarchy.

Only a government of laws rather than men is better, but it is hard to keep. Ask Mr. Franklin.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 19:11
    Society determines what government bureaucrats determine.
    Bureaucracies, once established, become self aware and their primary job is survival, as it is with all entities. They don't give a hoot about society, or what it thinks, only about keeping and increasing their budget.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 19:15
    Obviously a representative democracy with proportional representation is needed for effective society control on government officials.
    Add a strong framework and limitations on governments duties and powers, and serious division of powers, and I'll agree.

The democratic aspects must be tempered and diluted, or it is just mob rule.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 09:40
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The best of all systems is that there is a difficult to alter set of laws upon which society can depend, a Constitution.

No government usually degenerates into tyranny or oligarchy. Democracy usually degenerates into anarchy.

Only a government of laws rather than men is better, but it is hard to keep. Ask Mr. Franklin.
    As far as I am aware, most democracies have a constitution. What examples can you give of democracies "usually degenerating into anarchy"?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 09:43
    Bureaucracies, once established, become self aware and their primary job is survival, as it is with all entities. They don't give a hoot about society, or what it thinks, only about keeping and increasing their budget.
    That's true. But their bosses, steered by the popular vote, do care about limiting the budget. This is why there tends to be so much bureaucracy in dictatorships (and other badly functioning governments) and companies who have a monopoly - there is no effective outside control.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 13:25
    As far as I am aware, most democracies have a constitution. What examples can you give of democracies "usually degenerating into anarchy"?
    The Greek city states are examples of competing democracies and republics founded at about the same time.

About 370 BC, Plato wrote: "A democracy is a state in which the poor, gaining the upper hand, kill some and banish others, and then divide the offices among the remaining citizens equally."

About 126 BC, Polybius wrote: "The common people feel themselves oppressed by the grasping of some, and their vanity is flattered by others. Fired with evil passions, they are no longer willing to submit to control, but demand that everything be subject to their authority. The invariable result is that government assumes the noble names of free and popular, but becomes in fact the most execrable thing, mob rule."

And about 63 BC, Seneca, a Roman wrote: "Democracy is more cruel than wars or tyrants."

The article is posted by a good friend I met a few years ago http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1259556/posts

The Federalist papers on the subject of factions are also good at explaining the evils of unfettered democracy.

Even with a strong Constitution, it is evident in the US with State referendums, that limitations on government and democracy tend to slip away.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 13:29
    That's true. But their bosses, steered by the popular vote, do care about limiting the budget. This is why there tends to be so much bureaucracy in dictatorships (and other badly functioning governments) and companies who have a monopoly - there is no effective outside control.
    If Bureaucratic bosses cared New York would not be as heavily taxed as it is. People would not be voting with their feet and with moving vans.

You identify the only solution to bureaucratic creep, which is a strong private sector economy with real competition, and little government interference protecting large entities from their own excesses.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 13:58
    If Bureaucratic bosses cared New York would not be as heavily taxed as it is. People would not be voting with their feet and with moving vans.

You identify the only solution to bureaucratic creep, which is a strong private sector economy with real competition, and little government interference protecting large entities from their own excesses.
    New York is not heavily taxed, but anyway. States in the US have too much autonomy and voters have too little influence on the policies.

The solution to bureaucracy in the private sector is enough competition in the private sector - which requires government regulations to prevent the natural formation of cartels and misleading of consumers.

The solution to bureaucracy in the public sector is enough competition between political parties in the public domain.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 20:53
    New York is not heavily taxed, but anyway. States in the US have too much autonomy and voters have too little influence on the policies.

[b]You identify the only solution to bureaucratic creep, which is a strong private sector economy with real competition, and little government interference protecting large entities from their own excesses.

T ...[text shortened]... cracy in the public sector is enough competition between political parties in the public domain.[/b]
    "New York is not heavily taxed, but anyway."

Compared to what? Sweden? Finland? Compared to other US States it is most heavily taxed.

This is a question of individualism vs. collectivism. The collectivist isn't concerned with taxation as the government provides equally for all.

The individualist believes the exceptional deserve more than the lazy or stupid, and desired the freedom to prove it.

On the collectivist side is security, and equality.

On the individualist side is opportunity, liberty, and moral justice.

The ultimate end of collectivism is N. Korea and Zimbabwe.

You lament the freedom of our States to compete with each other, but it is clear how people choose between Statist collectivism and liberty when given a free choice. Atlas shrugs.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 21:13
    "New York is not heavily taxed, but anyway."

Compared to what? Sweden? Finland? Compared to other US States it is most heavily taxed.

This is a question of individualism vs. collectivism. The collectivist isn't concerned with taxation as the government provides equally for all.

The individualist believes the exceptional deserve more than the l ...[text shortened]... ople choose between Statist collectivism and liberty when given a free choice. Atlas shrugs.
    I am very much an "individualist". That why I want a government where I can choose how to lead my life with the greatest degree of freedom. This requires taxation to make sure people are not dependent on their parents or charity to invest in their future.

You want a government where the lazy and stupid with rich parents succeed and the talented with poor parents fail. You want a society which provides little opportunity for its lower classes. You want low freedom - or you simply don't understand what freedom means. Is your view of "freedom" really so superficial that it implies being able to buy a Hummer and a 2 million dollar home for a very small percentage of the population?

Your North Korea and Zimbabwe slippery slope fallacies are pathetic.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 02:49
    I am very much an "individualist". That why I want a government where I can choose how to lead my life with the greatest degree of freedom. This requires taxation to make sure people are not dependent on their parents or charity to invest in their future.

You want a government where the lazy and stupid with rich parents succeed and the talented with ...[text shortened]... of the population?

Your North Korea and Zimbabwe slippery slope fallacies are pathetic.
    Sorry but your individualism isn't. High levels of taxation aren't required to leave you free to pursue your life.

You say taxation prevents dependence on parents or charity. How is better to be dependent on government? Where in human history has government been more honest, more efficient, more compassionate than family or charity?

That isn't the history of governments. Clearly, NY residents aren't as free as those in New Hampshire. They are probably more free than citizens of Sweden, Finland and Norway.

The simple question on liberty is who should be free to choose how to spend your money? If some other entity has that freedom, you've lost it. Oh, they promise you stuff in return? So did Robert Mugabe make those promises in Zimbabwe. In the end the promises are always more than can possibly be delivered.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree