1. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 21:55
    Posted at 09:30 AM ET, 11/05/2012

Obama: The agent of ‘revenge’

By Ed Rogers

It would be nice to have one of the closing posts be about the noble and unique American electoral process — about how the voters ultimately make the best decision, how their wisdom will ultimately prevail, and how in the end, American elections are always about an optimistic view of the future.

Unfortunately, I can’t figure out what about the last couple of days of Campaign 2012 would warrant such a post.

President Obama ends the campaign with a fist-shaking call for “revenge.” What’s noble or wise about that, especially coming from the incumbent president of the United States? Merriam-Webster defines “revenge” as “an act or instance of retaliating in order to get even.” Who does Obama want to get even with? Who wants revenge in the first place? The answer is, the aggrieved want revenge.

It’s ironic and sad at the same time that Barack Obama, who’s had a charmed American life with innumerable helping hands along the way, now seeks revenge and thinks other should too. But when your mentors and intellectual guides are people like the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and your politics celebrate people like Sandra Fluke, I guess revenge is a fitting call to arms. And all this coming from the so-called more likable of the two candidates.

As I said Friday, I can’t reconcile the Obama edge in the polls with everything I know about the political dynamics in 2012. I also can’t reconcile Obama’s embittered call for retaliation in politics by one group against another with having mass appeal among voters, given what I think of the American character. Isn’t politics still about the future? About optimism? About one generation living a better, more secure life than the previous one? If that is still the test, Mitt Romney should win big. Why is this election even close?

Romney said it best himself. Obama offers himself as an agent of revenge. Romney, on the other hand, said, “I ask the American people to vote for love of country.” I’m sure the left groans and rolls their eyes at what they see as hokey, tired patriotism. I think it should close the deal for Romney.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-insiders/post/obama-the-agent-of-revenge/2012/11/05/090c4b78-2753-11e2-ac64-5d52a2c5953e_blog.html?hpid=z8
  2. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 22:02
    Oh please. It was a quick little quip to keep the crowd from booing. I know it's Romney's campaign's job to take everything out of context and make a BFD about whatever you can, but does anybody with the IQ of a gerbil or above really thing this is an issue?
  3. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 22:06
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Oh please. It was a quick little quip to keep the crowd from booing. I know it's Romney's campaign's job to take everything out of context and make a BFD about whatever you can, but does anybody with the IQ of a gerbil or above really thing this is an issue?
    Ignoble in the extreme. Apologists like you can apologize for anything. You can't be objective about anything.
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 22:22
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Ignoble in the extreme. Apologists like you can apologize for anything. You can't be objective about anything.
    No, I thought Obama's performance in the first debate was pathetic, and said so right here. In fact, I've been very critical of Obama on all sorts of fronts, and you can find the posts here.

But in context this was actually an attempt to keep the rally positive. You have to be a Romney partisan to see it any other way. Even Huckabee acknowledged that it was just a "rhetorical" something or other. It's a desperate attempt to change the narrative, and the Fox gaggle have all been pushing the "Romney's going big, Obama's going small" meme (Really guys, when you see Rove and Krauthammer say exactly the same thing, do you really expect the rest of us to believe you didn't pass around a memo?).

I think Romney lost the race with the jeep lie, but we'll know in just a few hours.
  5. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 22:31
    No, I thought Obama's performance in the first debate was pathetic, and said so right here. In fact, I've been very critical of Obama on all sorts of fronts, and you can find the posts here.

But in context this was actually an attempt to keep the rally positive. You have to be a Romney partisan to see it any other way. Even Huckabee acknowledged that it ...[text shortened]...
    I think Romney lost the race with the jeep lie, but we'll know in just a few hours.
    How is telling one group of voters to get revenge on another in any way positive? Or presidential? Or inclusive, or respectful?
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 22:59
    How is telling one group of voters to get revenge on another in any way positive? Or presidential? Or inclusive, or respectful?
    It was a joke. Did you even hear the quote, or are you just going from memos?
  7. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 23:02
    It was a joke. Did you even hear the quote, or are you just going from memos?
    Romney was joking about the 47%.
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 23:04
    Romney was joking about the 47%.
    No. He was not! He was dead serious about it.
  9. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 23:04
    No. He was not! He was dead serious about it.
    No, I insist. He was joking.
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 23:40
    A sure sign the Romney campaign is...

D...E...S...P...E...R...A...T...E

Because it was a jocular throw-away remark by Obama, and only someone with the mentality of a four-year-old could see it differently.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 02:09
    This thread title would make a cool movie.
  12. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 02:10
    Originally posted by vivify
    This thread title would make a cool movie.
    It would. If he were man enough.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 06:25
    It would. If he were man enough.
    I think the President that can easily drop push-ups, has the best physique of any U.S. president in history, is great athlete and basketball player, beat your guy in two out of three debates, and became the president that killed Bin-Ladin...

is more than "man enough".
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 07:01
    I think the President that can easily drop push-ups, has the best physique of any U.S. president in history, is great athlete and basketball player, beat your guy in two out of three debates, and became the president that killed Bin-Ladin...

Not hard to be more manly than Batman n Robin, I just wish the Republican ticket would wear the pantyhose and come out.
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 06:12

One of your best posts.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree