Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 14 Feb '14 23:00 / 1 edit
    I heard that Obama has not signed one Executive Order in order to help fix many of the problems with Obamacare. Intead, Obama is just announcing that certain people will be exempt for a certain period of time and people are just violating the law based soely on what he says to do.

    Is this true?
  2. 14 Feb '14 23:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    I heard that Obama has not signed one Executive Order in order to help fix many of the problems with Obamacare. Intead, Obama is just announcing that certain people will be exempt for a certain period of time and people are just violating the law based soely on what he says to do.

    Is this true?
    I know of one: Executive Order 13535 of March 24, 2010 Ensuring Enforcement and Implementation of Abortion Restrictions in the Patient Protection And Affordable Care Act

    Do we know if it is required by law that the executive order mechanism be used to authorize the specific modifications that have been made in the implementation of the ACA?
  3. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    15 Feb '14 15:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I heard that Obama has not signed one Executive Order in order to help fix many of the problems with Obamacare. Intead, Obama is just announcing that certain people will be exempt for a certain period of time and people are just violating the law based soely on what he says to do.

    Is this true?
    Whodey...you don't like Obama or his policy's, that's pretty clear. So, for the 8th time in as many weeks, I'll ask again, what are YOUR solutions to the millions of people who cannot afford insurance or healthcare coverage??
  4. 15 Feb '14 17:25
    Originally posted by bill718
    Whodey...you don't like Obama or his policy's, that's pretty clear. So, for the 8th time in as many weeks, I'll ask again, what are YOUR solutions to the millions of people who cannot afford insurance or healthcare coverage??
    I don't have all the answers to all of our problems bill. That's why we have Obama in power I suppose.
  5. 15 Feb '14 17:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    I don't have all the answers to all of our problems bill. That's why we have Obama in power I suppose.
    In order for a policy to be bad, there has to be a better one. Are you really such a coward that you will not commit to a position on health care policy?
  6. 15 Feb '14 20:41
    Originally posted by JS357
    I know of one: Executive Order 13535 of March 24, 2010 Ensuring Enforcement and Implementation of Abortion Restrictions in the Patient Protection And Affordable Care Act

    Do we know if it is required by law that the executive order mechanism be used to authorize the specific modifications that have been made in the implementation of the ACA?
    Executive orders do not have the power of law, unless misused. They are intended to allow the executive (President) to run his departments. This can and often does overflow onto regular people outside the government, but there are limitations of executive power.
  7. 15 Feb '14 20:44
    Originally posted by bill718
    Whodey...you don't like Obama or his policy's, that's pretty clear. So, for the 8th time in as many weeks, I'll ask again, what are YOUR solutions to the millions of people who cannot afford insurance or healthcare coverage??
    1. Raise the income limits on Medicaid.

    2. Provide government policies for the uninsurable (preexisting conditions)

    These two simple steps would have covered the majority of the uninsured without disturbing the whole economy.
  8. 15 Feb '14 20:47
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    In order for a policy to be bad, there has to be a better one. Are you really such a coward that you will not commit to a position on health care policy?
    "In order for a policy to be bad, there has to be a better one."

    Pure fallacy. No policy at all can be better than a bad one.

    whodey simply and honestly says he doesn't know the answer, but the old medical adage rings true here, "first do no harm".
  9. 16 Feb '14 19:55
    Originally posted by normbenign
    "In order for a policy to be bad, there has to be a better one."

    Pure fallacy. No policy at all can be better than a bad one.

    whodey simply and honestly says he doesn't know the answer, but the old medical adage rings true here, "first do no harm".
    Not doing anything is a policy.
  10. 16 Feb '14 20:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Executive orders do not have the power of law, unless misused. They are intended to allow the executive (President) to run his departments. This can and often does overflow onto regular people outside the government, but there are limitations of executive power.
    Executive orders are keeping US citizens from enjoying public land. It is treated as law.
  11. 17 Feb '14 01:45
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Not doing anything is a policy.
    Generally it's called laissez faire.
  12. 17 Feb '14 09:24
    Originally posted by JS357
    I know of one: Executive Order 13535 of March 24, 2010 Ensuring Enforcement and Implementation of Abortion Restrictions in the Patient Protection And Affordable Care Act

    Do we know if it is required by law that the executive order mechanism be used to authorize the specific modifications that have been made in the implementation of the ACA?
    Executive orders directly effect only the executive branch of government, and those who deal directly with it. This is still enormous power, and the bleed over into the general population massive, but EOs don't make general law.
  13. 17 Feb '14 09:26
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Executive orders are keeping US citizens from enjoying public land. It is treated as law.
    Public land, that is Federal land, are part of the executive department. Restrictions on land use is legitimate executive privilege.
  14. 17 Feb '14 09:33
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Not doing anything is a policy.
    True, but publicly the media has convinced most Americans that doing nothing is somehow evil.

    For example the twin "problems" Obama care was supposed to correct: 1. Uninsurables, pre-exixting conditions 2. Low income workers without coverage

    The first could have been dealt with in the manner of Federal flood insurance,
    the second, by modifying Medicaid slightly.

    There was no need to alter the 90% of the health care system which worked, other than the Progressive wet dream of a government takeover of the entire sector.
  15. 17 Feb '14 13:36
    Originally posted by bill718
    Whodey...you don't like Obama or his policy's, that's pretty clear. So, for the 8th time in as many weeks, I'll ask again, what are YOUR solutions to the millions of people who cannot afford insurance or healthcare coverage??
    There is already laws in the books covering the uninsured. Before obama became president, my son was in the hospital for seven days. I had no insurance at the time. The bills were over $48,000. I don't have that kind of money. Then we learned about the "no child left behind act". I think i paid a total of $20.