1. Germany
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 15:24
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    There is already laws in the books covering the uninsured. Before obama became president, my son was in the hospital for seven days. I had no insurance at the time. The bills were over $48,000. I don't have that kind of money. Then we learned about the "no child left behind act". I think i paid a total of $20.
    Not all of the uninsured, obviously.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 17:061 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Public land, that is Federal land, are part of the executive department. Restrictions on land use is legitimate executive privilege.
    Public land is supposed to belong to the public, not the government. That's the problem with people like you. You believe the people are ruled by the government. People like me believe that the government serves the people. It is all a matter of perspective.

Federal land = People's land
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 17:25
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Public land is supposed to belong to the public, not the government. That's the problem with people like you. You believe the people are ruled by the government. People like me believe that the government serves the people. It is all a matter of perspective.

The question here is whether we are talking about the actual role of government or the proper role of government. Of course the actual role varies by government.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 18:30
    Originally posted by JS357
    The question here is whether we are talking about the actual role of government or the proper role of government. Of course the actual role varies by government.
    The comment was about the power of executive orders. The fact of the matter is that executive orders have the power of law. The president can do anything he wants to do as long as he as either the house or senate to cover for him.

Obama is simply pointing this out.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 19:43
    The comment was about the power of executive orders. The fact of the matter is that executive orders have the power of law. The president can do anything he wants to do as long as he as either the house or senate to cover for him.

Obama is simply pointing this out.
    Which of these EOs signed in 2013 do you have a problem with and what is the problem?

2013 Executive Orders Disposition Tables
    Barack Obama - 2013

Executive Order 13636
    Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity

Executive Order 13637
    Administration of Reformed Export Controls

Executive Order 13638
    Amendments to Executive Order 12777

Executive Order 13639
    Establishment of the Presidential Commission on Election Administration

Executive Order 13640
    Continuance of Advisory Council

Executive Order 13641
    Adjustments of Certain Rates of Pay

Executive Order 13642
    Making Open and Machine Readable the New Default for Government Information

Executive Order 13643
    2013 Amendments to the Manual for Courts-Martial, United States

Executive Order 13644
    Amendment to Executive Order 13639

Executive Order 13645
    Authorizing the Implementation of Certain Sanctions Set Forth in the Iran Freedom and Counter-Proliferation Act of 2012 and Additional Sanctions With Respect To Iran

Executive Order 13646
    Establishing the Presidential Advisory Council on Financial Capability for Young Americans

Executive Order 13647
    Establishing the White House Council on Native American Affairs

Executive Order 13648
    Combating Wildlife Trafficking

Executive Order 13649
    Accelerating Improvements in HIV Prevention and Care in the United States Through the HIV Care Continuum Initiative

Executive Order 13650
    Improving Chemical Facility and Security

Executive Order 13651
    Prohibiting Certain Imports of Burmese Jadeite and Rubies

Executive Order 13652
    Continuance of Certain Federal Advisory Committees

Executive Order 13653
    Preparing the United States for the Impacts of Climate Change

Executive Order 13654
    Establishing an Emergency Board to Investigate Disputes Between the Long Island Rail Road Company and Certain of Its Employees Represented by Labor Organizations

Executive Order 13655
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 20:54
    Which of these EOs signed in 2013 do you have a problem with and what is the problem?

2013 Executive Orders Disposition Tables
    Barack Obama - 2013

Executive Order 13636
    Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity

Executive Order 13637
    Administration of Reformed Export Controls

Executive Order 13638
    Amendments to Executive Order 12777

Exe ...[text shortened]... Represented by Labor Organizations

Executive Order 13655
    I have a problem with the way he is changing the law when it comes to Obamacare.

I have a problem with executive orders I've mentioned.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 21:50
    I have a problem with the way he is changing the law when it comes to Obamacare.

I have a problem with executive orders I've mentioned.
    So you don't like government by executive order?

"This past week, many national newspapers picked up the story from Utah, where the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) just approved a spate of resource management plans that clear the way for a massive oil/gas lease sale next month. Some of the tens of thousands of acres slated for leasing are near the boundaries of national parks, such as Arches and Canyonlands. Many more are on lands with wilderness characteristics.'

"This last burst of enthusiasm for fossil fuel leasing is no rogue act. It is a direct result of the instructions for public land administration that George W. Bush issued through Executive Orders early in his administration. If the Obama administration disapproves of decisions like the ones in Utah last week, then it needs to exert its leadership through Executive Orders. "

http://www.progressivereform.org/printPage.cfm?idBlog=8B7540D8-1E0B-E803-CA5EEFBAA8B734F3
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 21:52

"This past week, many national newspapers picked up the story from Utah, where the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) just approved a spate of resource management plans that clear the way for a massive oil/gas lease sale next month. Some of the tens of thousands of acres slated for leasing are near the boundarie ...[text shortened]... . "

http://www.progressivereform.org/printPage.cfm?idBlog=8B7540D8-1E0B-E803-CA5EEFBAA8B734F3
    You think I'm a fan of the Bushes? You couldn't be more wrong. Of course both parties are working to enhance the position of the ruling class. They work for the same people.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 22:29
    You think I'm a fan of the Bushes? You couldn't be more wrong. Of course both parties are working to enhance the position of the ruling class. They work for the same people.
    I know that. So now Obama threatens to reverse an executive order of his predecessor and you're against that, too.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 23:30
    I know that. So now Obama threatens to reverse an executive order of his predecessor and you're against that, too.
    You seem to be talking about nothing. Try dealing with what I've said when talking to me.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 00:52

I don't disagree with your point, but all land falls into some jurisdiction (maybe it shouldn't, but it does). Should beaches be the domain of surfers, or sunbathers, or surf fishermen. The jurisdictional government sorts out the various claims, theoretically fairly.

The argument goes, that government serves the people by administering the land usage. That works better if the administration of the land is local or State.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 01:00

"This past week, many national newspapers picked up the story from Utah, where the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) just approved a spate of resource management plans that clear the way for a massive oil/gas lease sale next month. Some of the tens of thousands of acres slated for leasing are near the boundarie ...[text shortened]... . "

This really becomes a problem in the mineral rich West, where huge swaths of land are titled Federal. Presidents in recent times have used EOs to limit development, or place land off limits, for all kinds of reasons.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 01:35
    This really becomes a problem in the mineral rich West, where huge swaths of land are titled Federal. Presidents in recent times have used EOs to limit development, or place land off limits, for all kinds of reasons.
    According to the link, "This last burst of enthusiasm for fossil fuel leasing is no rogue act. It is a direct result of the instructions for public land administration that George W. Bush issued through Executive Orders early in his administration." So if this is the case, the EO can be and has been used to open up land for resource extraction. Why not?
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 10:04
    According to the link, "This last burst of enthusiasm for fossil fuel leasing is no rogue act. It is a direct result of the instructions for public land administration that George W. Bush issued through Executive Orders early in his administration." So if this is the case, the EO can be and has been used to open up land for resource extraction. Why not?
    This is illustrative of the lack of real staying power in EOs. Unless federal agencies follow up with implementing regulations, the EOs are forgotten. The bureaucrats running the agencies are lifers, often appointed by other Presidents. A President can "clean house" but it seldom extends past cabinet level, or department heads.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 16:35
    I don't disagree with your point, but all land falls into some jurisdiction (maybe it shouldn't, but it does). Should beaches be the domain of surfers, or sunbathers, or surf fishermen. The jurisdictional government sorts out the various claims, theoretically fairly.

The argument goes, that government serves the people by administering the land usage. That works better if the administration of the land is local or State.
    The beaches should be the domain of the people who want to use them. People can deal with their own problems. The government should not be a source of power used by one group to dominate another group. That would be the European use for a government, not an American.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree