1. weedhopper
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 18:30
    Obama seems to think a high-speed rail system is what we need in this country. I don't think he gets it that MOST of us don't live in little cramped areas that require subways and bus lines and cabs to get us to and fro. We drive our cars and we like them.
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 18:46
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Obama seems to think a high-speed rail system is what we need in this country. I don't think he gets it that MOST of us don't live in little cramped areas that require subways and bus lines and cabs to get us to and fro. We drive our cars and we like them.
    Having a high-speed rail system doesn't have to benefit everyone in the country in order to be beneficial. There are areas in this country where a high speed rail system would be very good.

It also does not mean that he wants to get rid of all cars.

Don't worry, you will still get to drive your car.
  3. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 19:11
    Another point is that your statement is in fact wrong. 79% of the population lives in urban areas.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/census/cps2k.htm
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 19:231 edit
    Railways may mean between cities as well, which covers a fair amount of rural territory e.g. central California alongside the freeways is covered in farms. And, let's not forget that agriculture needs to be moved on rails to the cities for the farmers to make a living. Cities are where people do business.

EDIT - Also, fewer cars in the cities means more gasoline for the rural areas, no?
  5. Germany
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 20:25
    High-speed rail is not an alternative to subways, cabs and buses, it's an alternative to medium-range air transport.
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 20:52
    Amtrak is a great success story! 😕
  7. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 20:541 edit
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Another point is that your statement is in fact wrong. 79% of the population lives in urban areas.

"Urban areas" include all urbanized areas (over 50,000 population) and Urban Clusters (2,500 to 49,999 population) as defined by the Bureau of the Census in the 2000 Decennial Census.

8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 00:43
    But that is their goal. After all, they don't want you to drive your car, nor heat and cool a large house, nor transport large distances to get to work. Soon you may be seeing things their way as energy prices soar above your ability to afford to communte in your car to work or heat and cool that 3 bedroom house of yours.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree