Oil speculation

Oil speculation

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Apr 12

Originally posted by sh76
One man's obstructionism is another man's fight for what is right.
Unless you're one of those people who wish the government would go away that doesn't make sense. Individuals opposing specific laws is not the same as blocs obstructing everything as a strategy to dominate the government by discrediting the opposition. Obstructionism is when a political bloc sabotages their own nation in order to blackmail it into letting them rule. Not acceptable.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Apr 12

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Unless you're one of those people who wish the government would go away that doesn't make sense. Individuals opposing specific laws is not the same as blocs obstructing everything as a strategy to dominate the government by discrediting the opposition. Obstructionism is when a political bloc sabotages their own nation in order to blackmail it into letting them rule. Not acceptable.
It's acceptable within the confines of the US political system, because it allows "obstructionism".

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
19 Apr 12
2 edits

Did the Dems in Wisconsin refusing to show up at the state legislature to try to kill Scott Walker's agenda constitute obstructionism?

How about Texas Dems running to Oklahoma to prevent a quorum on the Tom Delay redistricting vote?

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
19 Apr 12

Originally posted by normbenign
Do you seriously think that would have any impact on gas prices, except perhaps to raise them? Generally more regulation does raise costs and prices, and even price controls have devastating effects as we can remember who lived through price controls in the Nixon era.
No I don't seriously think that. That was just a snarky comment on Obama's habit of circumventing Congress at every possible turn.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
19 Apr 12

You mean like the political bloc that took back the house in 2010 in a sweeping refutation of Democrat policies? That was sabotage of the nation and blackmail?

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
19 Apr 12
2 edits

Originally posted by Sleepyguy
You mean like the political bloc that took back the house in 2010 in a sweeping refutation of Democrat policies? That was sabotage of the nation and blackmail?
And speaking of obstruction, did anyone happen to catch the Senate Budget Committee meeting on C-SPAN yesterday where everyone hoped the Chairman Kent Conrad (D) would finally have a vote on the 3 year overdue budget, before he caved to pressure from the Dems? All 11 Republicans showed up, but only 3 Democrats. Here's a picture of the lopsided table ...

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2012/04/18/photo_senate_democrats_shame

Listen to Jeff Sessions politely deliver the smack down and then tell me which political bloc is obstructing...

&feature=player_embedded

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Apr 12

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
It's acceptable within the confines of the US political system, because it allows "obstructionism".
Maybe you can accept it. I don't.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Apr 12
1 edit

Originally posted by sh76
Did the Dems in Wisconsin refusing to show up at the state legislature to try to kill Scott Walker's agenda constitute obstructionism?

How about Texas Dems running to Oklahoma to prevent a quorum on the Tom Delay redistricting vote?
Maybe. I have nothing to do with Texas or Wisconsin. In fact those two states are California rivals. I don't care if they commit political suicide. Our dairy and our status as the big productive state will get a boost if Wisconsin and Texas screw themselves over. I don't care.

Don't do it to my country though. Grr.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Apr 12

Being voted in to office has nothing to do with how you choose to use your power.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
19 Apr 12

Being voted in to office has nothing to do with how you choose to use your power.
But the republicans voted into office in 2010 were voted in specifically to oppose Obama's agenda. They have done so. Other than you not agreeing with the outcome, where's the problem?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Apr 12

But the republicans voted into office in 2010 were voted in specifically to oppose Obama's agenda. They have done so. Other than you not agreeing with the outcome, where's the problem?
You're asking me what the problem is but I'm supposed to discount my opinion? 🙄

Republicans weren't too happy with the naive fanaticism shown by the new arrivals if I remember correctly. Some of them are honest and honorable in that way.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
19 Apr 12

You're asking me what the problem is but I'm supposed to discount my opinion? 🙄
Let me rephrase. How is it blackmail of the nation for representatives to actually represent the wishes of the people that sent them there?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Apr 12
3 edits

Let me rephrase. How is it blackmail of the nation for representatives to actually represent the wishes of the people that sent them there?
Was the Tea Party elected to be hobbits?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/07/28/999775/-John-McCain-Lectures-Naive-TeaParty-Hobbits-Live-Blogging-MSNBC-s-First-Look-and-Morning-Joe

If the Republicans want to have any credibility they should be McCain style Republicans, not crazy clueless fanatics.

http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_rep.htm

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
20 Apr 12

Was the Tea Party elected to be hobbits?
If being a hobbit means being more conservative than John McCain, then yes.

K

Germany

Moves
20 Apr 12

Maybe you can accept it. I don't.
I'm not a US citizen so it's not for me to say what the US people want from their government. I do think there are many things that could be improved in the current US political system, but the people have to demand changes first, of course. And for that to happen, Founding Fathers fetishism is the first thing that has to go.