1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 02:56
    Why do only certain stations get to air the olympics? Why not open coverage to all stations? Why do I have to watch NBC to watch the olympics? Why can't I have choice?

It's because NBC paid for the rights, which means people are making money off the television coverage. The olympics are little more than a money making scheme and just another way to milk the little guy. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 03:06
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The olympics are little more than a money making scheme and just another way to milk the little guy.
    You have to pay to watch NBC?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 03:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    If I want to watch the Olympics I can only watch NBC, unless I want to pay.

I can only watch what they air and I have to listen to their commentators. It's because NBC has bought the rights to define the Olympics in the US for people who are not rich enough to pay for other services.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 03:13
    It's because NBC paid for the rights, which means people are making money off the television coverage.
    Do you think NBC should give out advertising slots for free when they broadcast the Olympics?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 03:14

I can only watch what they air and I have to listen to their commentators. It's because NBC has bought the rights to define the Olympics in the US for people who are not rich enough to pay for other services.
    Do you think "the little guy" should not have to pay for satellite TV channels?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 03:16
    There are some television viewing options here where I live that I am "not rich enough to pay for". Do you think I should have access to this content for free?
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 03:18
    Why do only certain stations get to air the olympics? Why not open coverage to all stations? Why do I have to watch NBC to watch the olympics? Why can't I have choice?

It's because NBC paid for the rights, which means people are making money off the television coverage. The olympics are little more than a money making scheme and just another way to milk the little guy. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.
    I hear they even charge admission to go to the events! The horror.
  8. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 03:27
    I'm surprised at you two. How much does NBC pay the athletes for their services? They are supposed to put in endless hours of training for the honor of representing their country. Then we see that huge corporations are profiting enormously from their efforts and they aren't even paying the people whose hard work and training make the games possible.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 03:401 edit
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I'm surprised at you two. How much does NBC pay the athletes for their services? They are supposed to put in endless hours of training for the honor of representing their country. Then we see that huge corporations are profiting enormously from their efforts and they aren't even paying the people whose hard work and training make the games possible.
    Athletes in the U.S. are not forced to put in endless hours of training for the honor of representing their country. What is more, many of them have extremely lucrative endorsements and advertising deals. How would Eladar being allowed to watch more than what NBC shows, and watch satellite TV coverage for free, affect any of this?
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 03:462 edits
    :'(:'(

NBC paid $2.2 billion for the rights to 2010 Winter and 2012 Summer Olympics plus $4.38 billion (that's BILLION) to broadcast the 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020 Olympics. And you expect them to pay the athletes, too?
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 03:54

Whats the beef, I watch it on the BBC leaving SKY sports free to air the Cricket and other sports.

What do you mean by "NBC has bought the rights to define the Olympics" is it politically biased in some way.

If every station aired the Olympics what about your right to choose to watch something else.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 04:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    No, no, they pay you to watch last time I checked.
  13. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 04:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    :'(:'(

NBC paid $2.2 billion for the rights to 2010 Winter and 2012 Summer Olympics plus $4.38 billion (that's BILLION) to broadcast the 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020 Olympics. And you expect them to pay the athletes, too?
    Who did NBC pay for the rights? NBC shouldn't pay, the people who sold the rights should. After all, they are selling a product that is based on the athlete's hard work. As for you, FMF, not all olympians are from the USA, or didn't you realize that? I'm sure there are a lot of fringe benefits from competing in the olympics, but are people from places like Ecuador or Laos fairly compensated? Apparently someone made 1.1 billion dollars off of these olympics and I'm sure NBC stands to make even more.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 04:271 edit
    Who did NBC pay for the rights? NBC shouldn't pay, the people who sold the rights should. After all, they are selling a product that is based on the athlete's hard work. As for you, FMF, not all olympians are from the USA, or didn't you realize that? I'm sure there are a lot of fringe benefits from competing in the olympics, but are people from places like ...[text shortened]... e made 1.1 billion dollars off of these olympics and I'm sure NBC stands to make even more.
    Actually NBC has lost money on the last few Olympics.

If you feel bad about it, you can always write a check to the Laos Olympic Committee. Here's the address:

CP 3183
    Signy-Centre, Khounbourom Road
    Vientiane
    Lao People's Democratic Republic

and their website:

http://www.olympic.org/lao-people-s-democratic-republic
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 04:39
    As for you, FMF, not all olympians are from the USA, or didn't you realize that?.
    The OP is about NBC, which is in the U.S., and it's about Eladar's desire to watch stuff on U.S. TV for free.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree