1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 21:37
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Nobody in Canada goes bankrupt or loses a home because of a medical problem. No one loses insurance if they switch jobs or get laid off. No one is afraid to leave a job they may not like for fear of losing his or her health insurance.
    I'd rather be bankrupt than dead. I will concede that some reform to make sure all or almost all people are covered is necessary (and that's what they're trying to do, BTW). But that does not mean you need a single payer system. There's a big difference between universal coverage and single payer.

===No one is afraid to leave a job they may not like for fear of losing his or her health insurance.===

No, they're afraid to leave their job for fear of not finding a job with as a good a salary and other benefit. Is there a difference?
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 21:38
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Is not getting any surgery at all a "problem"?

Anyways, let's not get dragged down into anecdote territory once again. Let's look at costs, for example.
    Costs are a problem. I agree. I didn't say reform isn't important. I don't think we need a single payer system, though. From what I remember, I don't recall you either being a big proponent of a single payer system.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 21:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It's the same way infrastructure is funded in most countries. Private parties supply the goods/services, and then government picks the best deal (ideally).
    yes this happens in the U.K from local to national government, thanks
  4. Germany
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 21:52
    Originally posted by sh76
    Costs are a problem. I agree. I didn't say reform isn't important. I don't think we need a single payer system, though. From what I remember, I don't recall you either being a big proponent of a single payer system.
    I am not necessarily a big proponent of a single payer system, I'm just saying the Canadian system is better than the current US one.
  5. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 21:53
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'd rather be bankrupt than dead. I will concede that some reform to make sure all or almost all people are covered is necessary (and that's what they're trying to do, BTW). But that does not mean you need a single payer system. There's a big difference between universal coverage and single payer.

===No one is afraid to leave a job they may not like for fea ...[text shortened]... fear of not finding a job with as a good a salary and other benefit. Is there a difference?
    May be you could be dead and your wife could be bankrupt? Does that sound more attractive than single-payer? (Come back and play again when you reach the mid-fifties - you don't really need all that stuff you worked your whole life for.)
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 22:021 edit
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    May be you could be dead and your wife could be bankrupt? Does that sound more attractive than single-payer? (Come back and play again when you reach the mid-fifties - you don't really need all that stuff you worked your whole life for.)
    i left a message for you uncle jack, in the spirituality forum, i would be pleased if you would kindly reply, emphasis on kindly.
  7. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 22:11
    I've unfortunately (or fortunately) been busy lately (shouldn't really be sitting here now but my brain is sloshing in the pan so...) - will get to you tonite!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree