1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 02:42
    I'm watching Bill O'Reilly right now on YES' "Center Stage." He's a fascinating interview, by the way. Very forthcoming and very smooth talker.

Anyway, I'm on record saying that the O'Reilly interview of Obama during the election was a turning point for me in how I viewed Obama. Before the interview, I quasi-bought the teleprompter theory (that Obama was only a good speaker when reading a teleprompter). I was very impressed by Obama's ability to hold his own against O'Reilly for a long interview on a myriad of issues and I instantly changed my mind about him.

Well, it surprised me to learn tonight that O'Reilly was also impressed by Obama's performance. He said so in so many words. He also called Obama a "really nice guy" and, although he criticized the enormous federal deficits that Obama has run up, he was surprisingly positive about Obama in general.

Just thought I'd share...
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 02:591 edit
    The interview in question:

YouTube
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 15:08
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The interview in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luA0AMP51Gc
    It's in a bunch of parts; but yes, that's the first part.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 15:511 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'm watching Bill O'Reilly right now on YES' "Center Stage." He's a fascinating interview, by the way. Very forthcoming and very smooth talker.

Anyway, I'm on record saying that the O'Reilly interview of Obama during the election was a turning point for me in how I viewed Obama. Before the interview, I quasi-bought the teleprompter theory (that Obama was onl he was surprisingly positive about Obama in general.

So does that mean you will vote for him in 2012?

I have heard similar things about "W". I have heard that he is witty and engaging and overall a nice guy.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:011 edit

Anyway, I'm on record saying that the O'Reilly interview of Obama during the election was a turning point for me in how I viewed Obama. Before the interview, I quasi-bought the teleprompter theory (that Obama was onl he was surprisingly positive about Obama in general.

Michael Kay does an excellent job with these Center Stage interviews.

Larry King isn't going to be around forever. When it comes time to replace him, Kay would be an excellent option.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:022 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    Probably not; though it depends on whom he's running against. If, by some chance, he runs against Palin, I will vote for him. But if we get a fiscally responsible Republican to run on a platform of closing the federal budget deficit, keeping the welfare state from spiraling out of control and a tough but responsible foreign policy, I'll probably vote for him/her. Chris Christie, you listening?

The fact that I may vote against Obama doesn't mean I don't think he's intelligent or competent.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:05
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Michael Kay does an excellent job with these Center Stage interviews.

Larry King isn't going to be around forever. When it comes time to replace him, Kay would be an excellent option.
    He really does. Though, most of his guests are sports-related and very few of his guests are contentious about anything. If he had to grill someone in an adversarial interview, I'm not sure he'd be so effective.

I don't watch Larry King much. Are his interviews also cream puff types; or does he get down and dirty?
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:11
    Probably not; though it depends on whom he's running against. If, by some chance, he runs against Palin, I will vote for him. But if we get a fiscally responsible Republican to run on a platform of closing the federal budget deficit, keeping the welfare state from spiraling out of control and a tough but responsible foreign policy, I'll probably vote for him/he ...[text shortened]... act that I may vote against Obama doesn't mean I don't think he's intelligent or competent.
    If Christie can successfully declaw all the special interests opposing his plans, pass his plan, and get New Jersey's budget under control - he would definitely be a formidable candidate. Of course, Christie still has a lot of work to do.

During the 2012 GOP primary, Palin and her supporters would have to explain why a quitter would be a better candidate than someone who successfully met the challenges of a bad economy and a lousy budget situation in a blue state.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:13

I have heard similar things about "W". I have heard that he is witty and engaging and overall a nice guy.
    Do you have an interview that shows Bush's ability to face a hostile reporter?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:14
    Probably not; though it depends on whom he's running against. If, by some chance, he runs against Palin, I will vote for him. But if we get a fiscally responsible Republican to run on a platform of closing the federal budget deficit, keeping the welfare state from spiraling out of control and a tough but responsible foreign policy, I'll probably vote for him/he ...[text shortened]... act that I may vote against Obama doesn't mean I don't think he's intelligent or competent.
    So you think that his current fiscal path is compentant?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:161 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Do you have an interview that shows Bush's ability to face a hostile reporter?
    I am not discussing interviews on TV, rather, I am talking about off air interactions. Perhaps he does not do well under pressure? No doubt, Obama does a better job than "W" in that regard.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:18
    So you think that his current fiscal path is compentant?
    I assume you mean Obama's; not Christie's.

The answer is that it depends on what he does in the next 12 months as the economy improves.

The deficits he has run up are reckless and dangerous. If they were emergency measures so stabilize the economy and if he now works to reduce them dramatically, then yes, I suppose they could be competent.

If we continue to see trillion dollar budget deficits 2 and 3 years from now, then no.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:19
    I am not discussing interviews on TV, rather, I am talking about off air interactions. Perhaps he does not do well under pressure? No doubt, Obama does a better job than "W" in that regard.
    The OP is about Obama not being a teleprompter puppet, not really about him being 'nice guy' off-air.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:19
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    If Christie can successfully declaw all the special interests opposing his plans, pass his plan, and get New Jersey's budget under control - he would definitely be a formidable candidate. Of course, Christie still has a lot of work to do.

During the 2012 GOP primary, Palin and her supporters would have to explain why a quitter would be a better candida ...[text shortened]... successfully met the challenges of a bad economy and a lousy budget situation in a blue state.
    I think anyone who wins the Republican nomination will have a good shot at Obama, even if it is Palin. I just don't think Palin has a prayer of making it. I just pray it is not a McCain type or I may not be voting at all. I refuse to vote for Obama either way.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 16:21
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The OP is about Obama not being a teleprompter puppet, not really about him being 'nice guy' off-air.
    The thread really is about the intellegence of Obama as well as him being "nice" so I think my post applies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree