Palin = the Nader of the Noughties

Palin = the Nader of the Noughties

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silicon valley

Moves
07 Sep 10

or the Perot. take your pick.

P

Moves
07 Sep 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
None of the above.

silicon valley

Moves
07 Sep 10

Y not?

silicon valley

Moves
07 Sep 10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_effect

m

Moves
07 Sep 10

I think that the problem with the comparison is that Palin seems relatively willing to play ball with the party. Nader still doesn't want anything to do with the Democrats... Maybe Palin's more of a Kucinich-type character. She represents the most ideological wing of the party but still comes back home when it's time to vote for the lesser evil.

That last sentence felt strange when I wrote it. There don't seem to be alot of big tent Republicans these days, and EVERYONE in the party seems to be accusing others of not being "true conservatives." So I'm not sure why the party needs an "ideological wing." The difference between Palin and the "Republican establishment" might not have as much to do with ideas as amplitude. Whereas the difference between Kucinich and the Democrats usually has to do with ideas. But in terms of her role politically, I think she's there, like Kucinich, primarily to satisfy the base.

M

Moves
07 Sep 10

so do you think Palin will ending being a third party candidate in 2012 and hinder the GOP's effort to defeat Obama?

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
07 Sep 10

My mistake. I thought I read Palin the Nadar of Nighties.

silicon valley

Moves
07 Sep 10

Originally posted by badmoon
Nader in a nighty!?!? liberals have strange fantasies.

silicon valley

Moves
07 Sep 10

Originally posted by Melanerpes
so do you think Palin will ending being a third party candidate in 2012 and hinder the GOP's effort to defeat Obama?
she doesn't have to go third party. if she wins the primary i still doubt she'll win the general.

silicon valley

Moves
07 Sep 10

Originally posted by mrj0hn50n
I think that the problem with the comparison is that Palin seems relatively willing to play ball with the party. Nader still doesn't want anything to do with the Democrats... Maybe Palin's more of a Kucinich-type character. She represents the most ideological wing of the party but still comes back home when it's time to vote for the lesser evil.

That l ...[text shortened]... role politically, I think she's there, like Kucinich, primarily to satisfy the base.
maybe Republicans are afraid of PO'ing the Tea Party electorate.

P

Moves
07 Sep 10

she doesn't have to go third party. if she wins the primary i still doubt she'll win the general.
I doubt she'll even really try hard enough to win the primaries.

I don't think she wants to be president right now - although she might make a half-arsed run just to try to remain politically relevant and keep her speaking engagement paychecks coming.

If she did run seriously and win the primaries then she would have a hard time actually winning the general election.

She seems to be the favorite among pothead republicans though:

http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2010/08/16/on-sarah-palin-potheads-and-polling/

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
07 Sep 10

Originally posted by badmoon
Surely you mean 'nadir'.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
07 Sep 10

One curious thing is that, despite the fact she obviously animates the teabagger base, even a majority of self-identified conservatives don't want her to run:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-6113291-503544.html

In another poll, conducted in, um, Alaska, we find that:

"If Sarah Palin runs for President in 2012 she can’t count on a whole lot of support back home. 62% of Alaska Republicans are opposed to her making a White House bid and she gets only 17% in a hypothetical 2012 primary in the state tying for her second with Mike Huckabee behind Mitt Romney...

Among voters who say they support the goals of the Tea Party only 31% want Palin to run and even with ones who consider themselves to be active members of the Tea Party there are still only 42% who think she should make the leap."

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2010/09/palin-2012-in-alaska.html

I'll be somewhat surprised to see her run, myself.

silicon valley

Moves
07 Sep 10

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
I doubt she'll even really try hard enough to win the primaries.

I don't think she wants to be president right now - although she might make a half-arsed run just to try to remain politically relevant and keep her speaking engagement paychecks coming.

If she did run seriously and win the primaries then she would have a hard time actually winning ...[text shortened]... ans though:

http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2010/08/16/on-sarah-palin-potheads-and-polling/
politicians are generally self-deluded, and no more immune to the Peter Principle than the rest of us are.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
08 Sep 10

Palin at this time is a "king maker". Nobody on the Republican side can come close in fund raising, and those she endorses win. I don't see her running even in the primaries. She may play a role in determining the eventual nominee.