1. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 23:45
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I was hoping for some substantive discussion of Stockman's proposals in the piece. I see 5 basic ones:

1) Large cuts in military spending;

2) Ending the Fed's super low interest rate policy;

3) Breaking up large banks;

4) Income based eligibility test for all entitlements;

5) a) Replacing the payroll tax with a b) national sales tax.

...[text shortened]... port 2 and 4 depending on the specifics and oppose 5(b). Any other reactions to the proposals?
    what are you calling entitlements?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 23:53
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    what are you calling entitlements?
    From Stockman:

A true agenda to reform the welfare state would require a sweeping, income-based eligibility test, which would reduce or eliminate social insurance benefits for millions of affluent retirees. Without it, there is no math that can avoid giant tax increases or vast new borrowing. Yet the supposedly courageous Ryan plan would not cut one dime over the next decade from the $1.3 trillion-per-year cost of Social Security and Medicare.
  3. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 00:34
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    From Stockman:

A true agenda to reform the welfare state would require a sweeping, income-based eligibility test, which would reduce or eliminate social insurance benefits for millions of affluent retirees. Without it, there is no math that can avoid giant tax increases or vast new borrowing. Yet the supposedly courageous Ryan plan would no ...[text shortened]... dime over the next decade from the $1.3 trillion-per-year cost of Social Security and Medicare.
    "A true agenda to reform the welfare state would require a sweeping, income-based eligibility test, which would reduce or eliminate social insurance benefits for millions of affluent retirees."

I'm not sure what the definition of "wealthy" is in suggestion. Tax increases for the very wealthy should go up in any case - back to the 50-60s rate.
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 01:39
    Team Romney hasn't seemed to figure out whether it's in support of the Ryan budget or not. Maybe they'll just keep in vague hoping that independent voters won't notice?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree