1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 03:06
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Discusses whether North Koreans were brainwashed.
    I wonder what impact all this discussion of brainwashing will have on the "international community's" willingness to let the North Korean people decide their future for themselves, assuming that they move into political phase where they are, indeed, able and eager to decide their future for themselves.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Dec '11 22:17
    I know this thread is basically dead but I thought this article was relevant:

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/28/9776689-despair-over-kim-jong-il-real-grief-or-forced
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 17:021 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I know this thread is basically dead but I thought this article was relevant:

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/28/9776689-despair-over-kim-jong-il-real-grief-or-forced
    That article basically says there's no real way to know...

I concede that some of the mourning, though bizarre to us, could have been genuine.

But some of it had to have been staged or forced or put on for show. That guy at the front of the perfectly organized square of people pounding the pavement over and over and over again was simply not displaying a natural human reaction to grief.
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 20:46
    Originally posted by sh76
    That article basically says there's no real way to know...

I concede that some of the mourning, though bizarre to us, could have been genuine.

But some of it had to have been staged or forced or put on for show. That guy at the front of the perfectly organized square of people pounding the pavement over and over and over again was simply not displaying a natural human reaction to grief.
    I do realize that North Koreans have been isolated and they have a really bizarre culture, but there has to be a lot of them who want to get the hell out of there. Why else would they have gone to such extremes to forcibly keep everyone in?
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 21:30
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I do realize that North Koreans have been isolated and they have a really bizarre culture, but there has to be a lot of them who want to get the hell out of there. Why else would they have gone to such extremes to forcibly keep everyone in?
    Because, of course, the people really do love Big Brother, but they have to be reminded of such every once in a while, for their own good.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 21:57
    Originally posted by sh76
    Because, of course, the people really do love Big Brother, but they have to be reminded of such every once in a while, for their own good.
    That's why we all wave the flag.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree