Power:   Good or bad?

Power: Good or bad?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
05 Sep 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Well, except the insane ones, by which, I mean you.
By "you," do you mean 'me,' or do you mean 'you-know-who'?

["We" all know how you get when 'her' name is mentioned, so euphemisms are much preferred, it is assumed]

rain

Moves
05 Sep 16

Originally posted by shavixmir
Maybe he's excellent in bed?
With his..."tiny hand"?

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
05 Sep 16

Originally posted by vivify
With his..."tiny hand"?
It's not the size of one's penis which makes one good in bed, but rather what one can do with one's tongue.

rain

Moves
05 Sep 16

It's not the size of one's penis which makes one good in bed, but rather what one can do with one's tongue.
Which in Trump's case is tell her how much money he has.

w

Moves
05 Sep 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
A common misunderstanding of evolution is to assume (without warrant) that genetic advantage is a good thing.

As for the overall post, I would say that how you measure power depends on context. In many ways Obama is not the most powerful person in the world. By other measurements money = power so the wealthier people are the most powerful (and Obama is ...[text shortened]... Wealth means more choice over how you live your life. Obama's life is actually very constrained.
I believe the term is empty suit.

All you have to do is sell out.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Sep 16
3 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
No, not even that.

I'm sure you're familiar with this quote: "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." -- 1 Timothy 6:10, KJV

Notice it says "the love of money", not simply "money". Similarly, power does not bring corruption ...[text shortened]... desires more power[/i]. What brings corruption is not just having power, but wanting it.
I think you are proving my point, neither money nor power do anything good or bad on
their own it is only those who use and abuse them that will. The thing is that getting
either doesn't change anything an honest man will return a wallet filled with money if he
can, while a dishonest one will not.

Power and money will show corruption, the more there is the easier it is to see, absolute
power will show the corruption absolutely.

There are people in power that hold true not allowing their ability to abuse give them the
feeling they have to right too, while others the more power they have the more they use
it to acquire whatever they want. We do tend to see those with wealth and power as
corrupt since I think more of them are than not, but that does not mean that everyone with
either has been corrupted by either in my opinion which disproves that power corrupts.

w

Moves
05 Sep 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
I think you are proving my point, neither money nor power do anything good or bad on
their own it is only those who use and abuse them that will. The thing is that getting
either doesn't change anything an honest man will return a wallet filled with money if he
can, while a dishonest one will not.

Power and money will show corruption, the more there i ...[text shortened]... one with
either has been corrupted by either in my opinion which disproves that power corrupts.
I think the key is serving verses being served.

Those with power who serve typically do good as where those who enter politics for a lavish lifestyle and retirement do very little if any good.

This is why we need term limits.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
05 Sep 16

Originally posted by whodey
I think the key is serving verses being served.

Those with power who serve typically do good as where those who enter politics for a lavish lifestyle and retirement do very little if any good.

This is why we need term limits.
Power corrupts. End of story.
From an early age you learn that the more power you have the more you can do what you want.
No matter how well balanced you are, the more you get what you want, the less you care what others want.

It's a creeping seductive addiction. Without being checked, the more powerful you become, the more ego-centric you become.
The more so, the more liberties you'll take to get what you want.

From the stance: "I want that" grows: "I deserve that"

Google it.
Then perhaps the discussion will be backed by some evidence.

For example: http://changingminds.org/explanations/power/power_corrupts.htm

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
05 Sep 16

"Compensating"

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Sep 16

Power corrupts. End of story.
From an early age you learn that the more power you have the more you can do what you want.
No matter how well balanced you are, the more you get what you want, the less you care what others want.

It's a creeping seductive addiction. Without being checked, the more powerful you become, the more ego-centric you become.
Th ...[text shortened]... by some evidence.

For example: http://changingminds.org/explanations/power/power_corrupts.htm
How do you know power corrupts, end of story? How do you know it simply just shows us
the corruption already within? I also don't think everyone with power abuses it, you do?

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
06 Sep 16

How do you know power corrupts, end of story? How do you know it simply just shows us
the corruption already within? I also don't think everyone with power abuses it, you do?
Yes I do.
Do some research.

w

Moves
06 Sep 16

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
"Compensating"
"Rationalizing"

w

Moves
06 Sep 16
2 edits

We all have power, that is, to make decisions.

The question becomes, are these decisions selfish or not? If they are selfish, who is suffering as a result?

From a Christian perspective, we invoke the blood of the cross to wash away our sin nature and self regulate.

From a secular humanistic perspective, you pass a myriad of laws and institute PC to try and compel people to try and do the "right" thing. They don't care so much about wanting others to do the right thing as they are threatening them.

One approach celebrates freedom as a necessary criteria to share the love of God or to reject him and the other approach detests freedom in general and wishes the government to control us all.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Sep 16
1 edit

Yes I do.
Do some research.
Your the one with the point to prove, prove it.
End of story sort of implies you have the answer does it not?