1. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 16:08
    Originally posted by @whodey
    To be fair, I confused him. I mentioned supporting the notion of impeaching Trump.

I did the unthinkable, I crossed the partisan talking points line.

Sorry, it won't happen again.
    and John McCain is a Republican right?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 16:121 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    What makes me a liberal bright boy? The fact that I mentioned Trump being impeached?

So what if he actually did sexually assault a woman? Should he get the boot if he did?
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 16:24
    Oh, just kiss and make up already, you two. All conservatives do it behind closed doors.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 17:09
    Possibly the only honorable man in that Party.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 17:522 edits
    no one is removed because they were impeached. Impeach simple means to indict.

Impeach/indict is just deeming a case worthy of trial.

http://www.heritage.org/constitution/#!/articles/1/essays/11/impeachment
    Yes, those impeached must be convicted as well. But it has been established since 1798 that the impeachment process does not apply to members of Congress, so Waters is correct:

a U.S. Senator (William Blount of North Carolina in 1797) have also been impeached.

Blount’s impeachment trial—the first ever conducted—established the principle that Members of Congress and Senators were not “Civil Officers” under the Constitution, and accordingly, they could only be removed from office by a two-thirds vote for expulsion by their respective chambers. Blount, who had been accused of instigating an insurrection of American Indians to further British interests in Florida, was not convicted, but the Senate did expel him.

http://history.house.gov/Institution/Origins-Development/Impeachment/

I do not agree the article you cited conclusion that because the House has the sole power of impeachment it can impeach for anything it pleases and the judiciary cannot review it. Article II, Section 4 clearly gives provides: "“The President, Vice President and all Civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” and Article III just as clearly states: "Section 2.
    The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution,

In theory, if the House choose to impeach someone for reasons not amounting to "Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors" or impeach someone not a "civil official of the United States" the aggrieved party would have a case in that arose under the Constitution and thus within the judicial power of the United States.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 19:262 edits
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    Possibly the only honorable man in that Party.
    John McCain honorable?

Here we have a man who threw the doctors under the bus who tried to break the story of the VA putting veterans on secret death lists. As soon as they contacted his office, they were shortly afterwards fired for some lame excuse such as violating patient confidentiality. If it were not for some obscure Congressman in Florida, the story probably would have been swept under the rug.

Then there is McCain who ran for office on the premise of needed to repeal and replace Obamacare. Then when the vote comes his way he votes no?

Honorable? Pfft. From what I hear, he will never return to Congress cuz he is on the verge of death. What I do know is that he is getting state of the art medical care, something Veterans around this nation never get.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 19:28
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Yes, those impeached must be convicted as well. But it has been established since 1798 that the impeachment process does not apply to members of Congress, so Waters is correct:

a U.S. Senator (William Blount of North Carolina in 1797) have also been impeached.

Blount’s impeachment trial—the first ever conducted—established the principle that Memb ...[text shortened]... se in that arose under the Constitution and thus within the judicial power of the United States.
    Congress could have only removed Moore, not Waters.

I believe there is some provision in the Constitution that only Marauder is privy to.
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 20:46

Blount’s impeachment trial—the first ever conducted—established the principle that Memb ...[text shortened]... se in that arose under the Constitution and thus within the judicial power of the United States.
    'I do not agree the article you cited conclusion that because the House has the sole power of impeachment it can impeach for anything it pleases and the judiciary cannot review it. Article II, Section 4 clearly gives provides: "“The President, Vice President and all Civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” and Article III just as clearly states: "Section 2.
    The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, "

The judiciary part comes after impeachment.
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 20:47

I believe there is some provision in the Constitution that only Marauder is privy to.
    Not congress as a whole...only the senate could have removed Moore had be been elected.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 20:47

Why do you lie so shamelessly?

My post specifically says Waters could be removed by the House (though not impeached).
  11. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 21:14
    Why do you lie so shamelessly?

My post specifically says Waters could be removed by the House (though not impeached).
    The house of representatives cannot remove Senator waters or any other senator.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 21:45
    The house of representatives cannot remove Senator waters or any other senator.
    Maxine Waters is a House member not a Senator.
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 22:11
    Maxine Waters is a House member not a Senator.
    my bad, your statement is correct

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree