1. Germany
    Moves
    11 Jun '17 21:01
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Being a crappy President isn't grounds for impeachment:

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

US Constitution, Article II, Section 4.

While the meaning of "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" ...[text shortened]... n of some, many or most is causing "irrevocable harm" to the country doesn't seem to equal them.
    I find it funny when Americans take the fact that Trump hasn't been able to go full Hitler yet because the courts and Congress have kind of gotten in the way of that as a sign that American institutions are strong.

You know, at the same time as the president openly solicits, takes and pays bribes, is a known fraudster, and has an inner circle with numerous people known to be on the payroll as agents of foreign nations intending to harm U.S. interests. In any normally functioning democracy with an adequate legal system, Donald Trump would have been in jail long before even attempting to get elected.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Jun '17 22:25
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I find it funny when Americans take the fact that Trump hasn't been able to go full Hitler yet because the courts and Congress have kind of gotten in the way of that as a sign that American institutions are strong.

You know, at the same time as the president openly solicits, takes and pays bribes, is a known fraudster, and has an inner circle with nu ...[text shortened]... e legal system, Donald Trump would have been in jail long before even attempting to get elected.
    It is, of course, a great failure of America's institutions that it has failed to run an elected President out of office in 4 and a half months.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Jun '17 22:26
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    As a general expert on people full of their own importance, I always use "big head" rather than "expert"
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '17 22:41

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    11 Jun '17 22:46
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    5 years to sort it out before FIFA World Cup
    Do you know a Qatar player?

Eric Clapton?
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    11 Jun '17 23:30
    No one cares, D. No one cares even a little tiny bit.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '17 23:36

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 12:54
    There are 50 popular votes US presidential candidates have to worry about. Trump won 30 of them.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 14:04
    I've expressed my opinion that the Electoral College should have been abolished long ago. Additionally, I've always thought the Twenty-Second Amendment, limiting Presidents to two terms, was an unnecessary restriction of the People's right to choice their elected officials.

What that has to do with the issues mentioned is unclear.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 14:581 edit
    It is, of course, a great failure of America's institutions that it has failed to run an elected President out of office in 4 and a half months.
    It's a great failure of America's institutions that someone like Donald Trump was able to manoeuver himself into a position of power.

But yes - Donald Trump's current and previous violations of American law are so blatant he should be immediately impeached and tried in a criminal court. The open solicitation of bribes, for example, should be enough by itself.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 15:57
    It's a great failure of America's institutions that someone like Donald Trump was able to manoeuver himself into a position of power.

But yes - Donald Trump's current and previous violations of American law are so blatant he should be immediately impeached and tried in a criminal court. The open solicitation of bribes, for example, should be enough by itself.
    I think a fair reading of history would come to the conclusion that the governmental structure of the US was set up to prevent someone like Trump from becoming President. But the government isn't completely People-proof though you seem to prefer a government that was.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 16:33
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    No one cares, D. No one cares even a little tiny bit.
    Not true, there are a few who care here me included.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 17:57
    I think a fair reading of history would come to the conclusion that the governmental structure of the US was set up to prevent someone like Trump from becoming President. But the government isn't completely People-proof though you seem to prefer a government that was.
    If that was the intention, it failed spectacularly.

In free and fair elections Trump wouldn't have been elected, but even so, I don't think that people should be able to vote criminals into office.
  14. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 18:031 edit

In free and fair elections Trump wouldn't have been elected, but even so, I don't think that people should be able to vote criminals into office.
    But Hillary was OK, right?

You beclown yourself.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 18:041 edit

Considering the electoral histories of other Western democracies in the last 230 years, the "spectacular failure" of electing Trump (who has so far had little success in enacting his agenda due to mass popular disapproval) seems fairly minor. The Constitutional structure has worked rather well as regards letting "populist" flim flam man into our highest office; virtually all had already held high elective office or been high ranking generals or other powerful governmental officials.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree