Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 16:34
    @duchess64 said
    The white American women who 'reinvented' mahjong by erasing its Chinese origins have apologized.
    They recognize (or least pretend to recognize) that they did something wrong.

But Kevcvs57 apparently still refuses to recognize that they did anything wrong
    and apparently believes that they had no need to apologize.
    What did they do wrong duchess? please what specifically did they do wrong, I don’t no why they changed the tile design and I don’t understand why they would want to make the game easier.
    Why is it wrong though surely Mahjong is a successful cultural export it’s bound over time to be tweaked in terms of tile design. As I say I think these white American women are guilty of ‘Gilding the Lily’ but no more.
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 21:28
    @sh76 said
    === Annelise Heinz, a mahjong historian ===

A what?
    _Mahjong: A Chinese Game and the Making of Modern American Culture_
    by Annelise Heinz (published in 2021 by Oxford University Press)

https://www.amheinz.org/about-me.html

"I am an Assistant Professor of History at the University of Oregon, where I teach courses
    on women's history, gender and sexuality, ethnicity and immigration, and consumerism.
    I returned to the West Coast in fall 2018, after three years as a faculty member at
    the University of Texas at Dallas. I earned my doctorate at Stanford University in 2015."
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 21:311 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    What did they do wrong duchess? please what specifically did they do wrong, I don’t no why they changed the tile design and I don’t understand why they would want to make the game easier.
    Why is it wrong though surely Mahjong is a successful cultural export it’s bound over time to be tweaked in terms of tile design. As I say I think these white American women are guilty of ‘Gilding the Lily’ but no more.
    In this case, Kevcvs57 keeps condoning racism and refusing to learn.
    Can Kevcvs57 even learn from Annelise Heinz, a white American historian?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/dallas-company-criticized-redesigning-chinese-mahjong-tiles-n1252894

"Dallas company apologizes after criticism for redesigning Chinese mahjong tiles"

"A company in Texas apologized on Tuesday after being criticized for replacing
    traditional Chinese mahjong tiles with redesigned game pieces covered in images
    of items such as bubbles and bags of flour."

"Annelise Heinz, a mahjong historian and assistant professor of history at the
    University of Oregon, told NBC News that while gameplay and tiles vary worldwide,
    mahjong sets usually are embossed with references to the traditional Chinese
    suits, including bamboo, circles or dots, and Chinese characters.

American mahjong was popularized across the country in the 1920s, but, Heinz said,
    the game draws on a complex history enmeshed with anti-Asian racism and colonialism.

“There was this paradoxical fascination,” Heinz said. “White Americans embraced
    the game because marketers attached the game to ancient Chinese courts that
    were seen as highly esteemed, but also distanced themselves from Chinese American
    people who were denigrated and caricatured, and subject to nativism and anti-Asian sentiment.”

A throughline can be drawn from its complicated past to the company’s controversial
    repackaging, according to Heinz.

“There is a lack of genuine and actual engagement with Chinese people who are
    connected to this culture and history,” she said. “What we’re seeing here is a real
    ignorance of this history that remains ignored in American education.”

"She acknowledged the long history of white entrepreneurs in America profiting from
    “things that they see as culturally valuable,” but warned against drawing strict
    boundaries around mahjong — and its tiles — that has constantly changed over time.

“I don’t think there’s any question that there is ignorance and erasure of Chinese American
    history here,” she said. “The history of mahjong is global — it is a dynamic story
    of play and exchange as much as a story of appropriation and erasure."
  4. SubscriberEarl of Trumpsonline
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 17:161 edit
    @Duchess64

you're so right, Duchess64, and by the same token...

America was and still is, a white culture nation. Over the centuries much cultural
    tradition has been developed and embraced by the inhabitants.

Throughout the White history of America, we White folk have embraced in particular, one William Shakespeare as our leader in literature, whose works have been taught in American classrooms since the 17th century.

I agree with *you* Duchess64, how dare someone try to destroy this traditional cultural icon and his works being taught in American classrooms!

White people do have a right to their own culture, correct, Duchess64?
    Or should the Chinese change their culture so as not to offend White Americans?

And are you still pushing for "separate but equal", Duchess64?

"And for those of you in Rio Linda..." - Limbaugh