1. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 04:30
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    He probably overheard his first sergeant saying that over some long island iced teas at the NCO club and thought he would sound cool repeating it.
    I highly doubt he heard his First Sergeant saying that. Career military guys are not, as a rule, foaming-at-the-mouth liberals. And I don't believe him when he says the military has changed that much, especially combat arms.
  2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 04:36
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    I highly doubt he heard his First Sergeant saying that. Career military guys are not, as a rule, foaming-at-the-mouth liberals. And I don't believe him when he says the military has changed that much, especially combat arms.
    I have heard that the oath has changed. The military was very much conservative in the 80's. I wonder how the Vietnam and Korean war vets feel about Obamas communist czar appointments?
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 04:38
    My First Sergeant voted for Barack Obama.

I didn't say the military changed at all. Just that it doesn't conform to the simplistic, monolithic knuckle-dragger stereotype you portray it to be. (IF) you really were in the military I'm sure anyone with a three digit IQ didn't bother engaging you in any meaningful conversation.
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 04:45
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    But who is going do it? Some limp wristed liberal?
    Sure. Maybe one of these limp wristed liberals.

https://twitter.com/cripplerufc/statuses/266031751581798400

or this one

https://twitter.com/JohnDodsonMMA/statuses/266032955611308032

or this one

https://twitter.com/PhilMrWonderful/statuses/266037037797355520
  5. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 05:29
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    First of all, that bible quote doesn't specify bankruptcy does it? It says that you should be released of all debts every 7 years - where is the law that says that all debts are released every 7 years?

If that were the case then 30 year mortgages would be pointless.

Even if that quote truly was the source of our bankruptcy law, should a proposal to change that term of 7 years to 8 be rejected because of the bible?
    It is pretty obvious that the cited Bible passage is talking about bankruptcy. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

As to your other point, I never said that Congress copied and pasted the US Bankruptcy Code from the Bible. I merely stated that the US Bankruptcy Code finds its roots in the Bible. That is, the fresh start policy articulated in the Bible is also found in the US Bankruptcy Code. Of course, the US Bankruptcy Code isn't as generous as the Bible. For instance, debtors in the United States still have to pay creditors with the proceeds from their non-exempt assets, if they have such assets. You can look up the other nuances of the Code if you are really interested in it.

I am not going to address your last question because we have already established that you misunderstood my previous post. Addressing that question wouldn't add to the discussion.
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 05:411 edit
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    It is pretty obvious that the cited Bible passage is talking about bankruptcy. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

As to your other point, I never said that Congress copied and pasted the US Bankruptcy Code from the Bible. I merely stated that the US Bankruptcy Code finds its roots in the Bible. That is, the fresh start policy articulate ou misunderstood my previous post. Addressing that question wouldn't add to the discussion.

It's talking about forgiving debts and yes that could be interpreted as bankruptcy. I meant the 7 years thing which is only vaguely related to bankruptcy if at all.

As to your other point, I never said that Congress copied and pasted the US Bankruptcy Code from the Bible.

I didn't claim that you did.

I merely stated that the US Bankruptcy Code finds its roots in the Bible. That is, the fresh start policy articulated in the Bible is also found in the US Bankruptcy Code.

The bible is a bad reason to implement even our bankruptcy laws. There are very good reasons to have bankruptcy as a policy without ever referencing the bible.

When you start using the bible as reasons to implement laws then you go down a very dangerous path. After all, why are only some of the rules in the bible in our laws then?
  7. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 05:531 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    My First Sergeant voted for Barack Obama.

I didn't say the military changed at all. Just that it doesn't conform to the simplistic, monolithic knuckle-dragger stereotype you portray it to be. (IF) you really were in the military I'm sure anyone with a three digit IQ didn't bother engaging you in any meaningful conversation.
    Jesus.

If that's true - it's already over. Come home, kid. If the military is going to go vote for a person who hates the military and everything it stands for, and wants to dismantle it, then I can't help you anymore. Get out before you get hurt, because you're not fighting in a service I recognize.

I admit - I've self-selected toward industries and professions that lean Republican/conservative. I don't like everything the Republican Party has done, but I could never see the day where I could vote for somebody who neither respects nor understands our heritage.

Obama admitted he had a coke habit through high school and college. You realize that he couldn't serve in the military he commands?

We're in deep trouble.

EDIT: If I was in, then during the time I would have been in, I would have been in a service that was almost uniformly Republican. We would have had alot of personality conflicts, sure. Lots of strong personalities, Type A guys, high strung. But for what it's worth, we voted Republican and hated Clinton. I'd take Clinton again over this fool, but you're too young to remember that.

Whatever man. I respect your service and what you do. I respect your right to your opinion, however wrong it is. That's fine.

I'm telling you I couldn't have the conflict about my country that you do and go fight for it.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 06:04
    Jesus.

If that's true - it's already over. Come home, kid. If the military is going to go vote for a person who hates the military and everything it stands for, and wants to dismantle it, then I can't help you anymore. Get out before you get hurt, because you're not fighting in a service I recognize.

I admit - I've self-selected toward indu ...[text shortened]... you I couldn't have the conflict about my country that you do and go fight for it.
    There's no IF. It is true. I take offense to someone who lacks both intelligence and maturity calling me "kid."

The rest of your assertions are ridiculous.
  9. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 06:093 edits
    There's no IF. It is true. I take offense to someone who lacks both intelligence and maturity calling me "kid."

The rest of your assertions are ridiculous.
    How is it that you get shot at, day after day, and then come on a chess website and get offended?

In my experience, that kind of thing tends to lend one a mellower tone.

EDIT: You know what's a common thing with you libos? This constant need to insult and attack the person delivering a message you disagree with. Why do you people do that? And with respect to intelligence and maturity - you started the insults, as you always do. I don't claim to be a paragon of virtuosity, chastity, reason, and restraint here, but you know...glass houses...stones...
  10. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 06:341 edit
    shortened
    It's talking about forgiving debts and yes that could be interpreted as bankruptcy. I meant the 7 years thing which is only vaguely related to bankruptcy if at all.

I don't know how else that passage can be interpreted. Anyways, the 7 years period is related to bankruptcy because it would be unproductive to allow debtors to discharge their debts at will. The US Code also has specific waiting periods depending on what Chapter of the Code you are availing yourself to.

The bible is a bad reason to implement even our bankruptcy laws. There are very good reasons to have bankruptcy as a policy without ever referencing the bible.

When you start using the bible as reasons to implement laws then you go down a very dangerous path. After all, why are only some of the rules in the bible in our laws then?

Congress didn't promulgate the Bankruptcy Code merely because it was mentioned in the Bible. Rather, Congress probably thought the Fresh Start and waiting period policies were good ideas. In other words, Congress used the Bible as persuasive authority rather than mandatory authority. That is also why you only see some rules from the Bible implemented in our statutory law.
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 06:37
    In other words, Congress used the Bible as persuasive authority rather than mandatory authority. .
    Well, I look forward to it having what it deserves - no authority.
  12. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 06:42
    Well, I look forward to it having what it deserves - no authority.
    Says the Canadian. 😉
  13. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 06:50
    Says the Canadian. 😉
    Aha. He's Canadian. PP - Canadian?

Got it now...and by the way, all of you, peppers and eggs are on the menu for breakfast, so I double dog dare you to top that.
  14. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 11:57
    Says the Canadian. 😉
    I am also an American.

Also, can you explain why my country of birth is relevant?
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 16:41
    Any politician who uses "the bible says" as justification for legislation should be punched in the face.
    Why? The politician must have been elected and therefore is allowed to voice his or her opinion just as any other politician.

People like you evidently believe in physical violence to silence unwanted opinions. Pathetic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree