1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 14:24
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I don't think it's accurate to say that Finland is a "theocracy."
    the degree matters.

does finland discriminates against a group of people on religious reasons? does it teach a single religion in schools and excludes others? do they require lawmakers to use religion as a guide when making legislation?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 14:24
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    a state religion, laws based on one single religion? what would you call that?
    No one wants a theocracy. All that would happen is what we see happening with the Pope today as he preaches the gospel of government redistribution and the need to curb climate change and welcome in illegal aliens as a directive from God himself.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 14:28
    the degree matters.

does finland discriminates against a group of people on religious reasons? does it teach a single religion in schools and excludes others? do they require lawmakers to use religion as a guide when making legislation?
    does finland discriminates against a group of people on religious reasons?

Yes.

does it teach a single religion in schools and excludes others?

Not sure.

do they require lawmakers to use religion as a guide when making legislation?

No.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 14:36
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [b]does finland discriminates against a group of people on religious reasons?

Yes.

does it teach a single religion in schools and excludes others?

Not sure.

do they require lawmakers to use religion as a guide when making legislation?

No.[/b]
    "does finland discriminates against a group of people on religious reasons?
    Yes."
    proof?

"does it teach a single religion in schools and excludes others?
    Not sure."
    be sure

"do they require lawmakers to use religion as a guide when making legislation?[/b]
    No."
    point for the US as envisioned by the republican platform
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 15:12
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys3gqp1PnBQ

since sh76 cannot absorb more than 90 seconds of information, this one's first 90 seconds are about GOP adviser Annie Dickerson complaining that the GOP platform actively discriminates against gay people and applauding gays wanting to offer children a stable environment.
    If anyone wishes to "absorb information," the last place they should go to would be TYT.
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 16:12
    Originally posted by whodey
    No one wants a theocracy. All that would happen is what we see happening with the Pope today as he preaches the gospel of government redistribution and the need to curb climate change and welcome in illegal aliens as a directive from God himself.
    Haven't all the atheists agreed that the earth was probably seeded by aliens, which by default suggests that if they ever arrive in one of them UFO thingies, that would sort of constitute a directive from god...
    Once again...thumbs up for Pope Francis....yay!!!
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 18:39
    Originally posted by sh76
    If anyone wishes to "absorb information," the last place they should go to would be TYT.
    hahahaha, ok, this will be fun.

Tell me, what are my allternatives?
    Should i maybe go with CNN? The ones that hired Trump's gorilla as a correspondent, paying a man legally forbidden from speaking ill of trump a butload of money? Can i trust such a man to be fair?
    Maybe i should go to Fox? the network of Roger Ailes, O'Reilly, Hannity? the network that have constantly been proven to lie, to distort facts, to promote racism, homophobia, sexism?
    Msnbc?
    Rush Limbaugh?
    Bill Maher?

TYT right now are among the best news agency in the US.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 18:49
    "No one wants a theocracy"
    If by theocracy you can only think of Saudi Arabia or Iran, then no, nobody wants that. I won't accuse even the GOP zealots of that.

Theocracy doesn't mean Saudi Arabia or worse. Theocracy is simply a government in which religion has a very significant say in how laws are being made, how education is conducted, who holds power.

Right now, in the US an atheist is severely handicapped in running for any office.
    Religious zealots are pushing for teaching religion in school (only one religion) to the detriment of actual science
    Religious zealots are pushing for discrimination against gays based purely on religious reasons (no study, no scientific paper will ever prove there is a reason to not allow gays to marry or adopt children)
    Religious zealots have a say in dismissing global warming (the others are simply greedy)

Some would go as far as to say you are already a theocracy. What is certain is that if the Republican platform is put into practice as it is now, you will move (actually run) towards that
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 19:12
    hahahaha, ok, this will be fun.

Tell me, what are my allternatives?
    Should i maybe go with CNN? The ones that hired Trump's gorilla as a correspondent, paying a man legally forbidden from speaking ill of trump a butload of money? Can i trust such a man to be fair?
    Maybe i should go to Fox? the network of Roger Ailes, O'Reilly, Hannity? the network tha ...[text shortened]... nbc?
    Rush Limbaugh?
    Bill Maher?

TYT right now are among the best news agency in the US.
    Yes, all of those are better than TYT, though Limbaugh is close.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 19:41
    Originally posted by sh76
    Yes, all of those are better than TYT, though Limbaugh is close.
    I am convinced! how could i not be, with such a well constructed argument.

In one phrase you managed to offer compelling reasons as to why fox news and cnn, despite all the shortcomings i so foolishly bothered to mention are better than a network you loathe, though without offering motive as to why.

Who needs actual arguments though when the great sh has spoken?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 23:203 edits
    "No one wants a theocracy"
    If by theocracy you can only think of Saudi Arabia or Iran, then no, nobody wants that. I won't accuse even the GOP zealots of that.

Theocracy doesn't mean Saudi Arabia or worse. Theocracy is simply a government in which religion has a very significant say in how laws are being made, how education is conducted, who holds powe ...[text shortened]... Republican platform is put into practice as it is now, you will move (actually run) towards that
    Let me rephrase, there are those pushing for a theocracy in the Islamic world, but not in the Christian world, at least, no one of significance. For it is the Islamic world that wishes to revisit the atrocities committed under the Catholic church such as the Inquisitions and persecution of the Jews and the Crusades etc, not the Christian world.

Are you seriously suggesting that those of faith should stay out of politics altogether? It seems to me that they have a right to engage in politics just like atheists. It also seems to me that no matter your religious or areligious moral perspective, you are free to vote for those who you agree with. This is a far cry from a theocracy, however.

If the state would get out of the marriage business, then the whole gay issue goes away and people will no longer be at each others throats about it. At least, that is the way it should be. There is no reason for the secular state to recognize or endorse sexual unions, the whole affair is absurd.

Religion should be taught in schools, or would you have them be ignorant of it? Morality should also be taught in schools, probably a combination of morality and religious class. Kids should have a basic understanding of morality and the importance of it. Morality is arguably more important that learning to read and write. Moreover, they should have a deep understanding on what morals are based upon and why.

If we are educating a populace that is amoral, all we are doing is arming amoral people to wreck havoc on the world around them.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 23:43
    Let me rephrase, there are those pushing for a theocracy in the Islamic world, but not in the Christian world, at least, no one of significance. For it is the Islamic world that wishes to revisit the atrocities committed under the Catholic church such as the Inquisitions and persecution of the Jews and the Crusades etc, not the Christian world.

Are you se ...[text shortened]... hat is amoral, all we are doing is arming amoral people to wreck havoc on the world around them.
    What a bizarre post! You propose a theocracy i.e. one where the State "educates" People on an approved version of "morality" and "religion" while denying that the "Christian world" supports such a thing!
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 00:56

Are you se ...[text shortened]... hat is amoral, all we are doing is arming amoral people to wreck havoc on the world around them.
    "Let me rephrase, there are those pushing for a theocracy in the Islamic world, but not in the Christian world"
    i am not going to go over all again.

"Are you seriously suggesting that those of faith should stay out of politics altogether?"
    faith should be left out of politics. those of faith can do whatever they want.

"It seems to me that they have a right to engage in politics just like atheists."
    they don't have the right to impose their faith on others.

"This is a far cry from a theocracy, however."
    there is no reason why theocracies cannot be democracies.

"Religion should be taught in schools, or would you have them be ignorant of it?"
    as long as it's optional and it is a separate class. religion has no place in science classes.

"Morality is arguably more important that learning to read and write"
    morality is independent of religion.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 02:511 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    What a bizarre post! You propose a theocracy i.e. one where the State "educates" People on an approved version of "morality" and "religion" while denying that the "Christian world" supports such a thing!
    I never proposed that a theocracy educated people. Like I said, if that were the case today, we would get educated by the Pope why the government needs to redistribute wealth and why we need to welcome any illegal immigrant into our country that wants to come and end it with a sermon on global warming because the left winged state would be in charge. In fact. left wingers are in love with the Pope even though they hate the God he purports to represent. Left wingers have no qualms saying that we need to "moral economy" to redistribute to the poor, as if they were espousing the morals of Mother Theresa, but then have a conniption if you mention doing away with gay marriage. If the truth be known, left wingers have no issues with the Christian faith, or any other ideology, so long as it coincides with their objectives. So that is the real rub, isn't it. The Christian faith does not always follow a left winged narrative.

I think you could teach children about religions around the world and universal morality without preaching one religion. Christ gave us the example of the Golden Rule as being the cornerstone to the Christian religion, which is to do unto others as you would have them do to you. That seems to be to be an acceptable thing to teach, how about you?

Children can also be introduced to ethics in order to expand their minds and try to reach for answers themselves instead of simple indoctrination. They need to know that moral fiber is more important that how smart you are or how much knowledge you have. In fact, the more amoral a person is who is smart and knowledgeable, the more dangerous that person is to society.

Now if you want a bizzaro world, enter left winged public school education where even the mention of God or morality can get you expelled.

I thought an education was meant to make not afraid to ask questions instead of simply being indoctrinated.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 02:591 edit
    "Let me rephrase, there are those pushing for a theocracy in the Islamic world, but not in the Christian world"
    i am not going to go over all again.

"Are you seriously suggesting that those of faith should stay out of politics altogether?"
    faith should be left out of politics. those of faith can do whatever they want.

"It seems to me that they hav ...[text shortened]... s arguably more important that learning to read and write"
    morality is independent of religion.
    Did I say I wanted the Christian religion in politics? No, what I said was, those of faith should be allowed to participate in politics, That is a big difference.

I never said that religion should be taught in the science room. Science is the study of the material universe, not the immaterial universe. That does not mean that they should not have a separate class on ethic, morality, and religion. But to say that morality is independent of religion is just bizarre. How do you figure?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree