1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    10 Mar '21 15:551 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Because they were a bunch of ideologically driven fanatics. Surely you cannot mean to imply that any comparable answer would be appropriate to the modern American Republican Party? Haven't you heard of Godwin's Law?

(Another element of the answer is surely that the Nazis understood that there were more votes to be gained from Gentile voters through anti-Semitic policies than there were Jewish votes to be lost. And that is an observation that may, alas, have parallels in the present situation too).
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '21 18:43

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    10 Mar '21 21:44
    Obviously I don't imagine this. My post was ironic.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 00:04
    @zahlanzi said
    I want republican states to drop the charade already and just hold hunger games in place of elections. Last man (or woman) standing gets the nomination. Isn't any less democratic that what they are doing now and the rest of the world could get a nice show.

I wanna see if those nutcases Lauren Boebert and Marjorie Taylor Greene can actually use them guns that they drool ov ...[text shortened]... nnell can beat another republican to death with his bare hands or if he will go down in the prelims.
    Seems unhealthy to fantasize about violence and pain being inflicted on your enemies, bruh.
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 00:06
    I think it makes sense to require voter IDs and take actions to prevent fraud.

In national elections, there is not much detection of voter fraud, but there were truly amazing voter fraud scandals in Chicago in the 1980s, and even a major one that happened in Philadelphia in the 2010s.

There's a lot of interesting information about that stuff out there if you search for it.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 01:35

7. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    16 Mar '21 21:21
    @moonbusLarge corporations in Georgia and the Georgia Chamber of Commerce are all actively against the proposed changes which will disenfranchise black voters.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '21 23:20

9. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 01:47
    Are you actually suggesting that an opposition party holding a position that more than a third of the population firmly believes is some sort of deep flaw and not a feature of democracy?

I suppose I cannot be surprised that someone who sympathizes with Communist Chinese autocrats has a distorted view of how democracy actually operates in practice, and how maintaining positions not in popularity is a virtue.
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 14:452 edits
    @philokalia said
    I think it makes sense to require voter IDs and take actions to prevent fraud.

In national elections, there is not much detection of voter fraud, but there were truly amazing voter fraud scandals in Chicago in the 1980s, and even a major one that happened in Philadelphia in the 2010s.

There's a lot of interesting information about that stuff out there if you search for it.
    If the goal is fraud prevention then why is this bill (and many others like it) loaded with provisions that prohibit opening new satellite voting locations and decrease the window of time in which someone can vote in person? Wouldn't you think, if you were after fraud, that you would want MORE time and MORE polling locations to allow for proper handling of in-person ballots and voters? This bill simultaneously restricts access to absentee voting and in-person voting. I don't see where it addresses fraud in any meaningful way.

How do you justify closing polls before the end of the work day as a fraud-prevention measure?
  11. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '21 15:16
    @wildgrass

Crickets on this, eh? Can anyone explain how reducing the hours in which in-person voting can occur counts as fraud prevention?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Mar '21 19:021 edit
    @wildgrass
    They are a bunch of lying hypocrites. OF COURSE it is 100% racist and DESIGNED to if possible, ELIMINATE black and brown votes.
    This is not democracy. This is an attempt to END democracy.

Their goal is white rule, nothing less because they figure blacks and browns mainly vote democrat. That is the bottom line for ALL of those states trying to kill black and brown votes.
  13. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 17:14
    @sonhouse said
    @wildgrass
    They are a bunch of lying hypocrites. OF COURSE it is 100% racist and DESIGNED to if possible, ELIMINATE black and brown votes.

Their goal is white rule, nothing less because they figure blacks and browns mainly vote democrat. That is the bottom line for ALL of those states trying to kill black and brown votes.
    Here's an interesting article arguing that these laws may hurt the GOP more than they think. A lot of the olds, for example, vote Republican and lots of them have been voting by mail for awhile now...
    Republicans have pushed voting restrictions despite the danger of backlash, Perez believes, because the imperative to show loyalty to Trump has overshadowed careful deliberation:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/03/republican-partys-irrational-war-voting-rights/618314
  14. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 18:011 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @wildgrass

do you think "browns and blacks" are too stupid to acquire an ID? seems kind of racist to me
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 18:03
    @wildgrass said
    @wildgrass

Crickets on this, eh? Can anyone explain how reducing the hours in which in-person voting can occur counts as fraud prevention?
    I dont have crayons and paper handy

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree