1. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 19:50
    75 is a fair age for retirement, I think.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 19:51
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Take?

SS is government checks. It is not a savings account with your money in it. If you collect SS you are on old people welfare.

You had a whole lifetime to get ready for this. Why are you relying on the government now?
    It's "welfare" that you prepaid for. Some people call that "insurance".
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That's not the deal I signed up for and have paid into for decades.

Is it just for the government to unilaterally change the conditions of SS to reduce or delay someone's benefits AFTER that person has been paying with the understanding that the conditions were X?
    You didn't sign up for any deal. You were born into it. It was a government program that you had absolutely no say in creating. It is a government program where you get your benefits at the government's whim. That's the way it is.

If you really had a chance to accept it or not, you'd have a choice in entering the agreement or not.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    75 is a fair age for retirement, I think.
    Ever do manual labor, KN? How about doing it into your 70s?
  5. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 19:53
    Ever do manual labor, KN? How about doing it into your 70s?
    I have no problem with handing out benefits to those who are no longer able to work regardless of their age.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 19:55
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You didn't sign up for any deal. You were born into it. It was a government program that you had absolutely no say in creating. It is a government program where you get your benefits at the government's whim. That's the way it is.

If you really had a chance to accept it or not, you'd have a choice in entering the agreement or not.
    It remains fundamentally unjust to alter the conditions of a program after you have been paying into it for decades to reduce what you will receive. SS is "insurance" after all.

Public support for SS has been instrumental in its continuation. Support would have been far less if the government had asserted the power to unilaterally reduce benefits whenever they felt like it.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 19:56
    That's not the deal I signed up for and have paid into for decades.

Is it just for the government to unilaterally change the conditions of SS to reduce or delay someone's benefits AFTER that person has been paying with the understanding that the conditions were X?
    You have no problem raising taxes whenever it suits your whim. There is no promise that eligibility requirements will not change.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 19:591 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    You have no problem raising taxes whenever it suits your whim. There is no promise that eligibility requirements will not change.
    What does that have to do with anything? Tax rates are prospective; changes in tax rates don't effect income you already made in previous years.

By contrast, unilaterally raising the eligibility age of SS actually erodes the net value of prior contributions.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 20:00
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Take?

SS is government checks. It is not a savings account with your money in it. If you collect SS you are on old people welfare.

You had a whole lifetime to get ready for this. Why are you relying on the government now?
    Wow you really haven't worked much have you?

look at your paycheck next time you get one.

It's called Federal OASDI, THAT'S Social Security. About $200 per month comes out of my pay for it.

It's not "old people on welfare", it's money they've paid into an account for their entire lives.

Jesus buy a clue.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 20:01
    It remains fundamentally unjust to alter the conditions of a program after you have been paying into it for decades to reduce what you will receive. SS is "insurance" after all.

Public support for SS has been instrumental in its continuation. Support would have been far less if the government had asserted the power to unilaterally reduce benefits whenever they felt like it.
    I don't see why it is "unjust". Some people pay lots of taxes but rarely use any government services. Some people never pay any taxes.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 20:02
    What does that have to do with anything? Tax rates are prospective; changes in tax rates don't effect income you already made in previous years.

By contrast, unilaterally raising the eligibility age of SS actually erodes the net value of prior contributions.
    There's something called reality. The reality is that there comes a point in a changing world where what the government could do before, it can no longer do. The dynamics change and sometimes those changes are for the worse.

People in places like Greece already know this fact. I think more and more people will come to this realization. The government can't simply print money and pretend that it never has to really pay for anything.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 20:03
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I don't see why it is "unjust". Some people pay lots of taxes but rarely use any government services. Some people never pay any taxes.
    Is it unjust that if a person dies at 64 that he or she will never see the money? Is it unjust that the money won't go on to his or her survivors?

If you ask me, the present system is very unjust.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 20:041 edit
    There's something called reality. The reality is that there comes a point in a changing world where what the government could do before, it can no longer do. The dynamics change and sometimes those changes are for the worse.

People in places like Greece already know this fact. I think more and more people will come to this realization. The government can't simply print money and pretend that it never has to really pay for anything.
    OK fine then I want all the money back I've paid into social security over the last 45 years, with a reasonable amount of interest and adjusted for inflation.

I should be a millionaire then and the government can keep it's crappy little monthly payment.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 20:05
    Is it unjust that if a person dies at 64 that he or she will never see the money? Is it unjust that the money won't go on to his or her survivors?

If you ask me, the present system is very unjust.
    Actually, they do get a survivors' benefit.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 20:05
    Originally posted by Zapp Brannigan
    OK fine then I want all the money back I've paid into social security over the last 45 years, with a reasonable amount of interest.

I should be a millionaire then and the government can keep it's crappy little monthly payment.
    People generally don't get their money back once a Ponzi scheme gets exposed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree