Retirement Age Adjustment

Retirement Age Adjustment

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
19 Jul 11

Originally posted by no1marauder
That's not the deal I signed up for and have paid into for decades.

Is it just for the government to unilaterally change the conditions of SS to reduce or delay someone's benefits AFTER that person has been paying with the understanding that the conditions were X?
You didn't have a choice. It's a tax, not a contract. You paid SS tax because the government made you, not because you agreed to put the money away for yourself in exchange for a promise of future benefits.

While 80 is extreme, raising the retirement age to 68 or 69 (or even 67) is a good way to help solve the obvious problems that social security is headed for very, very soon.

I suppose you could build in some sort of health exception for people who are physically or mentally incapable of working...

E

Moves
19 Jul 11

Is it just for the government to unilaterally change the conditions of SS to reduce or delay someone's benefits AFTER that person has been paying with the understanding that the conditions were X?

I think conditions X was the condition that if you didn't pay it, you'd go to jail.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jul 11

Originally posted by sh76
You didn't have a choice. It's a tax, not a contract. You paid SS tax because the government made you, not because you agreed to put the money away for yourself in exchange for a promise of future benefits.

While 80 is extreme, raising the retirement age to 68 or 69 (or even 67) is a good way to help solve the obvious problems that social security is headed ...[text shortened]... ome sort of health exception for people who are physically or mentally incapable of working...
I disagree. Sure it was a COLLECTIVE decision, but still it was a decision that involves mutual, reciprocal obligations between individuals and the government. That's a "contract" (similar to the concept of the "social contract" itself).

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jul 11

Originally posted by Eladar
[b]Is it just for the government to unilaterally change the conditions of SS to reduce or delay someone's benefits AFTER that person has been paying with the understanding that the conditions were X?

I think conditions X was the condition that if you didn't pay it, you'd go to jail.[/b]
Yes, you were obligated to pay X % of your income into the system.

In return, the government was obligated to pay an amount to you starting at a certain age.

Mutual, reciprocal obligations. That's a "contract".

E

Moves
19 Jul 11

I disagree. Sure it was a COLLECTIVE decision, but still it was a decision that involves mutual, reciprocal obligations between individuals and the government. That's a "contract" (similar to the concept of the "social contract" itself).
Tell that to Greece and any other country that's had to cut back on its social safety net or increase its retirement age. I think France did it.

E

Moves
19 Jul 11

Yes, you were obligated to pay X % of your income into the system.

In return, the government was obligated to pay an amount to you starting at a certain age.

Mutual, reciprocal obligations. That's a "contract".
There is no such obligation, other than in your head.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jul 11

There is no such obligation, other than in your head.
So IYO the government could simply refuse to pay any Social Security whenever it feels like it?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jul 11

Tell that to Greece and any other country that's had to cut back on its social safety net or increase its retirement age. I think France did it.
I'll tell them what they did was unjust, certainly.

E

Moves
19 Jul 11

So IYO the government could simply refuse to pay any Social Security whenever it feels like it?
It's a fact.

Whether or not it is unjust is an opinion.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jul 11

It's a fact.

Whether or not it is unjust is an opinion.
You are wrong. Under current law, the government has to pay. That makes it an "obligation".

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Jul 11

Originally posted by Zapp Brannigan
Wow you really haven't worked much have you?

look at your paycheck next time you get one.

It's called Federal OASDI, THAT'S Social Security. About $200 per month comes out of my pay for it.

It's not "old people on welfare", it's money they've paid into an account for their entire lives.

Jesus buy a clue.
That money goes to taking care of people who are old while you're working. The Feds aren't saving that money for you. They're spending it on old people. Now you are relying on people like me, and like Paris Hilton, to contribute enough taxes to take care of you, in hopes the next generation will do it for us...etc.

But somehow there is no tax money flowing.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Jul 11

You are wrong. Under current law, the government has to pay. That makes it an "obligation".
The government is considering defaulting on it's financial obligations...

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jul 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
That money goes to taking care of people who are old while you're working. The Feds aren't saving that money for you. They're spending it on old people. Now you are relying on people like me, and like Paris Hilton, to contribute enough taxes to take care of you, in hopes the next generation will do it for us...etc.

Of course, prior years' contributions have exceeded payouts by $2.5 trillion.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Jul 11

Of course, prior years' contributions have exceeded payouts by $2.5 trillion.
😠

ZB

Moves
20 Jul 11
3 edits

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

That money is MY Social Security Account, I get a statement every year regarding it's disposition and payout expected according to my contributions.
You wouldn't know that because you haven't worked long enough to get a statement have you?
My God you really are clueless.