1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 15:31
    Originally posted by quackquack
    The problem isn't that the wealthy don't pay enough (and deduction continually rapidly decrease). It is that the government continues to spend like crazy: once again see today NYT Fiscal spending in 2008 was 2.9 trillion
    fiscal spending this year 3.8 trillion. That's at 31% increase in a non-inflation time period. We simply need to scale back government because reagardless of how much you tax the increases are simply unsupportable.
    How about scaling back or increasing the efficiency of non-essential government programmes at the same time as raising income tax for the wealthy? If the budget problem is as bad as you say we obviously need both spending cuts and tax increases.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 15:43
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    How about scaling back or increasing the efficiency of non-essential government programmes at the same time as raising income tax for the wealthy? If the budget problem is as bad as you say we obviously need both spending cuts and tax increases.
    There is no justification for a 31% increase in spending during this presidency. We already got rid of the Bush cuts for what the government deemed the wealthy but kept the for everyone else. I wouldn't raise taxes at all and I certainly wouldn't raise taxes only on one segment of our population.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 15:57
    How about pulling our military out from all over THE WORLD and massively reducing it's size after we quit trying to be the World Police?

That should be good for a few trillion.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 16:05
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It seems to me that if we are going to live in a country that pays people when they retire, we need to make adjustments. We do make small adjustments due to inflation, but we also need to make adjustments in retirement age!

Social Security in the United States began in 1935 with a retirement age of 65.

I'm using the numbers from this site for average ...[text shortened]... e and you fix the problem! I think that an adjustment every 10 years would be about right.
    The federal government has not ignored this problem. Instead of passing a bill to increase the retirement age, however, the Dems plan on setting up death panels and the GOP plans on throwing granny off the cliff in terms of health care. That way neither party should have to raise the retirment age becuase there will simply be fewer to retire.

Brilliant!!
  5. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 16:19
    There is no justification for a 31% increase in spending during this presidency. We already got rid of the Bush cuts for what the government deemed the wealthy but kept the for everyone else. I wouldn't raise taxes at all and I certainly wouldn't raise taxes only on one segment of our population.
    The segment of the population being asked to pay the higher taxes is the segment that can afford to pay. That's why they're being asked to foot the bill.

To be honest, any country that has a massive deficit and substantial spending obligations is behaving with tremendous fiscal irresponsibility if it doesn't raise taxes for the rich.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 16:27
    The segment of the population being asked to pay the higher taxes is the segment that can afford to pay. That's why they're being asked to foot the bill.

To be honest, any country that has a massive deficit and substantial spending obligations is behaving with tremendous fiscal irresponsibility if it doesn't raise taxes for the rich.
    I find it amazing that a large segment of our population believes that we can continue to expand govenment and raise taxes on one segment of the population.
  7. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 16:291 edit
    I find it amazing that a large segment of our population believes that we can continue to expand govenment and raise taxes on one segment of the population.
    Why, when that section of the population is the section that can afford to pay higher taxes?
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 16:33
    Why, when that section is the section that can afford to pay higher taxes?
    I think we have exceeded the limit of fairness.
    I also think when you have major new programs like Obama's healthcare initiative everyone should pay.
    Almost everyone could pay more taxes, the truth is no one (and justifiably so) wants to sacrifice.
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 16:392 edits

Even though that "segment"of the population foots most the bill now, how much more would you prefer they pay ? Do the Math. If you taxed that segment 100% of their income what would that bring in annually ? As said many many times before, we do not have a revenue problem but rather a SPENDING problem.

edit: They are being ASKED to pay ?! Because they can AFFORD it ?! Whew!🙄
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 17:08
    You can't squeeze blood from a stone.
  11. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 17:231 edit
    I think we have exceeded the limit of fairness.

How so, when tax rates for higher earners have fallen drastically in the last thirty years or so?

I also think when you have major new programs like Obama's healthcare initiative everyone should pay.

The point of those programmes is to ensure that those who can't afford healthcare have healthcare provided for them. If the state doesn't ensure that the rich shoulder the lion's share of the burden, it defeats the object.

Almost everyone could pay more taxes, the truth is no one (and justifiably so) wants to sacrifice.

For the rich, it's not really any sacrifice.
  12. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 17:251 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Even though that "segment"of the population foots most the bill now, how much more would you prefer they pay ? Do the Math. If you taxed that segment 100% of their income what would that bring in annually ? As said many many times before, we do not have a revenue problem but rather a SPENDING problem.

edit: They are being ASKED to pay ?! Because they can AFFORD it ?! Whew!🙄
    Top tax rate in Britain in Margaret Thatcher's first term was, I believe, 60%. If even the twentieth century's most radical Conservative prime minister could live with that for four years, it can't be that unreasonable.
  13. Joined
    23 Nov '10
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 17:43
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    75 is a fair age for retirement, I think.
    You think that 75 is a reasonable age of retirement for a fireman, policeman, physical education teacher? What about a nurse that works 15 hour shifts? I for one would be sceptical of the abilities of a 75 year old in all these areas...and I've not even mentioned vocations such as construction or labouring! 75 might be ok if you have a cushy desk number, but not if you really 'work' for living!
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 17:50
    Top tax rate in Britain in Margaret Thatcher's first term was, I believe, 60%. If even the twentieth century's most radical Conservative prime minister could live with that for four years, it can't be that unreasonable.
    Britan?!
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 17:59
    Originally posted by Curlyman83
    You think that 75 is a reasonable age of retirement for a fireman, policeman, physical education teacher? What about a nurse that works 15 hour shifts? I for one would be sceptical of the abilities of a 75 year old in all these areas...and I've not even mentioned vocations such as construction or labouring! 75 might be ok if you have a cushy desk number, but not if you really 'work' for living!
    Perhaps that means a nurse needs to save more money if they work fewer years and want to retire/ cut back before Social Secuirty is avaiable.
    People who work at desks have "real jobs" too -- in fact I'd argue that people who use their mind have real jobs and people who use just brute force can and should probably be replaced by machinery.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree