Run government like a business??

Run government like a business??

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
as usual you come up with these nonsensial attacks on capitalism.

what does democracy have to do with anything?
as for the "common man", I don't know what you're reffering to.
Businesses are dictatorial enterprises, not democratic ones. Unlike in a government, where the common man has a vote in its running, the people have no vote in the running of a business. Businesses are accountable solely to their shareholders. The desire to 'run government as a business' is the desire to remove all government functions from the public sphere and move them into the private sphere where they will be accountable solely to the elite shareholder class and immune to the democratic will of the common man.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
I wonder if he'd think the same if he actually lived in a communist country.
I am not advocating communism. I am advocating democracy. But I wouldn't expect you to know the difference.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
03 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by uzless
Considering that more than 50% of private companies go bankrupt, why do people insist that private companies are better at running things than governments?

Seems the facts are at odds with peoples beliefs.
Ah, government as a business...

I can just se it now - thegovernment to outsourcing our military to China because it will make them a profit...

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Ah, government as a business...

I can just se it now - thegovernment to outsourcing our military to China because it will make them a profit...
That's what it's coming to (I don't know about China, though). Look at the expanded role of private defense contractors, like Blackwater and Halliburton, from just twenty years ago. Defense, a core function of government, is in the process of being privatized. The consequence is that military conflict is becoming a big business. There's huge profits to be made in maintaining a perpetual state of low grade war.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by rwingett
That's what it's coming to (I don't know about China, though). Look at the expanded role of private defense contractors, like Blackwater and Halliburton, from just twenty years ago. Defense, a core function of government, is in the process of being privatized. The consequence is that military conflict is becoming a big business. There's huge profits to be made in maintaining a perpetual state of low grade war.
Keep this phrase in mind for the coming years...

"We are not interested in solving problems...we are only interested in managing problems"

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by rwingett
Businesses are dictatorial enterprises, not democratic ones. Unlike in a government, where the common man has a vote in its running, the people have no vote in the running of a business. Businesses are accountable solely to their shareholders. The desire to 'run government as a business' is the desire to remove all government functions from the public spher ...[text shortened]... ble solely to the elite shareholder class and immune to the democratic will of the common man.
Wait. I thought faceless corporations ruled the world, bought out governments, and robbed workers of access to a magical, high-return production function thats only inputs are leisure and inspirational prose.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
03 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Melanerpes
They don't have to make a profit every year -- so no matter how badly they're run, they can remain in place and usually get larger.

I think you are overlooking one massive point here.

Governments do not generally run things that are capable of producing a profit. In fact, most things are best described as "services" or "not-for-profits"

It's highly unrealistic to expect a government to run a vehicle licensing system for example, in such a way as it makes a profit at the end of the year. "Profits" are not even supposed to be included as part of the role of government.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
03 Nov 09

In the Province where I live, the government is being blasted in the media for a "scandal" involving one of the ministries. For years, the public demanded that gov't be run like a busness. So, in response, the gov't went out and hired people from private business to come in a run some of this particular ministry's core functions.

In order to meet the goals and objectives quickly, the new people that were hired gave out massive untendered contracts to people they knew from their business lives, just like they used to do when they ran their own businesses. This caused an outrage because gov't contracts are supposed to be tendered and the lowest bidder gets the contract.

Now, i ask you, isn't it completely hypocritical to demand gov't be run like a business and turn around and complain when gov't is run like a business?????

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by telerion
Wait. I thought faceless corporations ruled the world, bought out governments, and robbed workers of access to a magical, high-return production function thats only inputs are leisure and inspirational prose.
One day, Telerion, you will see that I was right. About everything. Until then you will stumble through the darkness without realizing that there is a light switch within your reach.

silicon valley

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by uzless
I think you are overlooking one massive point here.

Governments do not generally run things that are capable of producing a profit. In fact, most things are best described as "services" or "not-for-profits"

It's highly unrealistic to expect a government to run a vehicle licensing system for example, in such a way as it makes a profit at the end of the year. "Profits" are not even supposed to be included as part of the role of government.
they do have profits. they just call them "next year's budget".

M

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by zeeblebot
someone with a Latin username shouldn't need me to spell it out.
There are a lot of viewpoints that someone can have regarding the TARP measures. I was interested in what your SPECIFIC views on this were, so I could then offer a response.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
04 Nov 09

Originally posted by utherpendragon
I doubt it. This punk and several others here flying U.S. flags spout commie rhetoric as if it is some new great idea they just stumbled upon.I was killing commies for mommy long before they ever heard of the communist manifesto! They ought to pack up and move to China. Bunch of losers.
Ah - this tells me a lot. It's a hatred of communism that's built up over the years and needs to be fed and fueled. I served (US Army) with a few fellows who had a similar sort of mindset. I see it mostly, though, in one of my grandfathers (US Army - WWII) and one of my uncles (USMC - Vietnam).

Their world views changed (understandably, I would say) because of what they had to face in combat and because of the anti-communism rhetoric that they were fighting for. Today, any move the US makes in the direction of the left - no matter how little it is - is seen as a direct threat to what they put their lives on the line for those years ago. I don't say that I blame them, either. Really, it sometimes almost makes sense when you look at it from their point of view. I just think it's important to try to understand the context of where their views might be coming from -- which is not always easy to do. Also, because of what they've been through, they often can't even comprehend that another point of view has any validity. The world is very black and white to them. Which is fine and understandable. I'm indebted to their service for our country. But, I've learned to take their political viewpoints with a grain of salt. Hopefully we'll get to a point sometimes when government fueled hatred and racism doesn't have such affect on some people.

On the other hand, my other grandfather (US Navy - WWII) has a much more forgiving nature about him and is able to think through touchy "commie" issue much more critically and constructively.

w

Moves
04 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by TerrierJack
So, you're advocating communism?
No. Communism is simply a smaller band of oligarchs ruling the masses. In fact, in an economy that is ever increasingly hard to better oneself, this is the direction we are headed currently. Instead, I am for spreading the wealth around through oppurtunity. This means stimulating the economy and small business. Small business is the engine through which the average Joe is most often helped.

Hy-Brasil

Moves
04 Nov 09

Originally posted by Traveling Again
Ah - this tells me a lot. It's a hatred of communism that's built up over the years and needs to be fed and fueled. I served (US Army) with a few fellows who had a similar sort of mindset. I see it mostly, though, in one of my grandfathers (US Army - WWII) and one of my uncles (USMC - Vietnam).

Their world views changed (understandably, I woul ...[text shortened]... able to think through touchy "commie" issue much more critically and constructively.
It is good to be decerning but, do not take too much of what they say or said w/a "grain of salt".
Those who do not know or forget history are doomed to repeat it.

K

Germany

Moves
04 Nov 09

Originally posted by Melanerpes
The point is that in the private sector, a badly run business will soon fail and disappear. That continual possibility of failure is what keeps businesses on their toes, always looking for ways to become more efficient, or more responsive to consumers. But government entities (like businesses with a monopoly position) don't have to worry about dealing wit ...[text shortened]... rnment like one of those (relatively small number) of well-run businesses that don't fail.
Imagine this... if a government does badly, then people could decide that they want a new government. This will give an incentive for governments to produce collective goods efficiently. I think I will call this system "democracy". Might work.