Russians interfere with midterm elections?

Russians interfere with midterm elections?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
23 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
The non-binding Brexit referendum had a much higher turnout than U.S. midterm elections.
You are comparing a referendum that has already happened to midterm elections that haven't yet happened.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
23 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
The non-binding Brexit referendum had a much higher turnout than U.S. midterm elections.
If you are basing your analysis only on past U.S. midterms then you are half right. What typically happens is the party winning the White House (executive branch) becomes complacent, whereas the losing party is fired up and works to regain power in the legislative branch.

Making predictions based on past experience is usually a safe bet if circumstances remain the same. If conditions significantly change (and they have) then doing the same thing and expecting the same result might not work out the way you think it's supposed to work out. In this election cycle neither side has been doing what politicians typically do.
Normally I would predict a higher voter turn out for Dems than for Reps... but not this time. This time I predict results of the midterms will show a higher than average turn out for both sides.

K

Germany

Moves
23 Oct 18

@lemon-lime said
You are comparing a referendum that has already happened to midterm elections that haven't yet happened.
Those midterm elections that haven't yet happened won't have a turnout of over 70%, or for example the 87% of the recent elections in Sweden.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
Those midterm elections that haven't yet happened won't have a turnout of over 70%, or for example the 87% of the recent elections in Sweden.
If all voters were automatically registered, the US would approach those numbers. A little over 20% aren't registered but about 75% of registered voters did vote in 2016. Mid-term turnout is expected to be around 60% or more of registered voters this year.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
23 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
I wasn't comparing turnout in U.S. to other countries. I'm predicting a higher voter turn out compared to previous U.S. midterm elections.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
23 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
Hypothetically, in a tiny democracy containing only 12 citizens it would not be unreasonable to expect a 100% voter turnout. 🐮

K

Germany

Moves
24 Oct 18

@lemon-lime said
I wasn't comparing turnout in U.S. to other countries. I'm predicting a higher voter turn out compared to previous U.S. midterm elections.
And turnout will still be extremely low, indicating high voter apathy (and compromised voting rights).

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
24 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
And turnout will still be extremely low, indicating high voter apathy (and compromised voting rights).
Okay, I get it now.

Higher than average turn out is indicative of voter apathy.
And not having valid ID compromises my right to vote, whether I'm entitled to vote or not.

Thanks for explaining this to me. 😅

K

Germany

Moves
24 Oct 18

@lemon-lime said
Okay, I get it now.

Higher than average turn out is indicative of voter apathy.
And not having valid ID compromises my right to vote, whether I'm entitled to vote or not.

Thanks for explaining this to me. 😅
Very low and extremely low turnout are both indicative of voter apathy.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
Very low and extremely low turnout are both indicative of voter apathy.
Early voting is up almost three times that of other mid term elections so your apathy theory is full of apathy.

K

Germany

Moves
24 Oct 18

@sonhouse said
Early voting is up almost three times that of other mid term elections so your apathy theory is full of apathy.
Wow. Maybe turnout will skyrocket to 45% at this pace!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
Wow. Maybe turnout will skyrocket to 45% at this pace!
It is jumping up way past almost any previous election. Sentiments are running high on both sides of the fence. We dems are hoping to sweep the swamp out so we can bring back a semblance of dignity to US governess again.
Now Putin is openly saying the US is losing it, no longer the superpower it once was and we have to lay that 100% on Trump, he is a flaming idiot who is so laden with corruption we have to redefine the term now, the lies coming out of his mouth just gets bigger and bigger.

Now the bombs delivered to dems, so far 7 have been found, are aimed at the people Trump has mentioned in his so-called speeches and the way he cow tows to Putin, Un and disses NATO and our real allies like Canada and Mexico have to be given one term: Treason. Any other president pulling the crap Trump has pulled in just two years would have been long gone by now but his base keeps him propped up like a moving rag doll.
He is a person with zero empathy and that is one of his good traits.

K

Germany

Moves
25 Oct 18

@sonhouse said
It is jumping up way past almost any previous election. Sentiments are running high on both sides of the fence. We dems are hoping to sweep the swamp out so we can bring back a semblance of dignity to US governess again.
Now Putin is openly saying the US is losing it, no longer the superpower it once was and we have to lay that 100% on Trump, he is a flaming idiot who is s ...[text shortened]... ped up like a moving rag doll.
He is a person with zero empathy and that is one of his good traits.
Sentiments are "running high" for a small minority of dedicated (if not informed) voters, sure. Most Americans still don't care.

Trump is a symptom, not a cause.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
Sentiments are "running high" for a small minority of dedicated (if not informed) voters, sure. Most Americans still don't care.

Trump is a symptom, not a cause.
You are wrong about that, Americans are pumped about the issues especially health care. Republicans are lying through their teeth, on TV they say they will never EVER get rid of pre-existing conditions but every republican saying such is directly involved in court cases with the direct agenda of ending pre-existing conditions.

A bunch of lying hypocrites.