1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 22:21
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    When each airline has a unique set of special fees, it can make it very difficult for the consumer to effectively compare prices and decide who is offering the best deal.

This doesn't mean that these fees should be illegal - but it does mean that it makes the marketplace less efficient - something that likely allows the airline companies to make more profit than they otherwise would, at the consumer's expense.
    That's why I prefer to have a higher ticket price rather than paying the same amount in the end after all the nickel & diming fees.

I would have no problem with a law saying that the airlines must present all their fees to their clients before ticket purchase.
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 22:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    No individual service costs what they're charging for it. The marginal cost of you being on the plane costs them almost nothing, once the plane is going with or without you. They have to make their money somehow and charging people who make their employees do something they could just as easily do at home is as reasonable a way to charge as any. If someone doesn't like their fees, they're free to use another airline.
    No individual service costs what they're charging for it.

Of course not. That's what profit is. I'm not suggesting that they should have everything (or anything) just at cost.

I know they have to make money - I haven't and don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with nickel and diming people with these kinds of fees.

I support the boycott of this airline and I will most likely never fly it 🙂
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 22:49
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    No individual service costs what they're charging for it.

Of course not. That's what profit is. I'm not suggesting that they should have everything (or anything) just at cost.

I know they have to make money - I haven't and don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with nickel and diming people with these kinds of fees.

I support the boycott of this airline and I will most likely never fly it 🙂
    Well, it's certainly your right to boycott them just as it's their right to charge for their services.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 22:50
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    That's why I prefer to have a higher ticket price rather than paying the same amount in the end after all the nickel & diming fees.

I would have no problem with a law saying that the airlines must present all their fees to their clients before ticket purchase.
    They do. The fee structure is clearly presented on their site.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/table-of-fees

Couldn't be clearer, really.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 22:55

The question is whether they present these fees when you actually buy the ticket - and no, I won't buy a ticket to find out 🙂

I do see that it seems that there is no re-issue fee if you purchased online.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 09:23
    All companies aim to make as high a profit as possible at consumer expense. It's called running a business. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    So would you support grocery stores having random additions to the prices on their goods making it impossible for you to compare prices between stores, thus increasing every-bodies profits?

Cell phone companies here in Africa are notorious for making their prices complex and confusing in order to stop the consumer from finding the cheapest option.
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 09:26
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So would you support grocery stores having random additions to the prices on their goods making it impossible for you to compare prices between stores, thus increasing every-bodies profits?

Cell phone companies here in Africa are notorious for making their prices complex and confusing in order to stop the consumer from finding the cheapest option.
    Don't buy a phone.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 09:28

yes it could
  9. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 11:261 edit
    Seems a similar situation to banking regulations in this country. If you default on something (e.g. have a cheque bounced) the bank can charge you a fee. But it's not allowed to be disproportional to the costs they incur because of your default.
  10. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 12:18
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Transparency is important for the efficient functioning of the market. Companies will often want to deceive their customers to make more money and this is where government ought to step in and ensure the market's efficiency.
    But there was nothing deceitful about Ryanair's fee and hence no reason to step in in this case.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 12:25

It says that if it's an online booking then the fee for "Airport Boarding Card Re-issue Penalty" is "n/a".

How is that clear that you'll pay £40 if you don't print the boarding pass?
  12. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 12:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead

Sometimes businesses have the brilliant idea to make things more complicated. Those business get hosed the minute a competitor discovers that 'simple' is actually what customers want -- and steals half their market share.

The question you are really asking is, why do businesses have to continually re-learn the lesson that what matters is their customers?
  13. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 12:31
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It says that if it's an online booking then the fee for "Airport Boarding Card Re-issue Penalty" is "n/a".

How is that clear that you'll pay £40 if you don't print the boarding pass?
    "Once a passenger has checked in online the boarding pass can be reprinted up to 4 hours before the scheduled flight departure time. Passengers who do not bring their printed boarding passes to the airport will be required to pay a Boarding Pass Reissue Fee in order to receive a new boarding pass. This facility is available up to 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure Click here for fee information"
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 13:47
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    "Once a passenger has checked in online the boarding pass can be reprinted up to 4 hours before the scheduled flight departure time. [b]Passengers who do not bring their printed boarding passes to the airport will be required to pay a Boarding Pass Reissue Fee in order to receive a new boarding pass. This facility is available up to 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure Click here for fee information"[/b]
    Yes, but if you click there you'd see that it's not specified how much is the fee if you did an online booking. It says n/a.
  15. Wat?
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 13:48
    Believe me. It's simpler to fly Business Class, and all is intact and thru the gate in seconds of arrival. 😏

No pissing about; when time costs money, no queue, nice seat, coffee waiting and every need dealt with.

Damage limitation. 😀

As easy as a piss up in a brewery.

-m.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree