1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 20:46
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Ryan's budget passes the House. Obama's is rejected in the Senate 97-0. We have no budget for his whole Presidency so far.
    In all fairness to Obama, budgets are sooo 1990's. I mean, who really needs to pass another one?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 21:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    In all fairness to Obama, budgets are sooo 1990's. I mean, who really needs to pass another one?
    Budgets require reliable revenue.
  3. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 21:53
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I wonder when Politifact will get around to evaluating the claim that the ACA "raids $700 billion from Medicare" as the Pants On Fire that it is? In fact:

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office found last month that the Medicare provisions in the health care law would save $700 billion over a decade and extend the life of Medicare.

The cuts do ...[text shortened]... .

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/paul-ryan-obama-medicare-cuts-mitt-romney.php
    are you on medicare? I would be interested in hearing from someone who has benefited from the healthcare law.....
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 22:39
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Well, Obama's CMS actuaries thought it would be about 15 percent.
    [quote]It is important to note that the estimated savings shown in this memorandum for one category of Medicare provisions may be unrealistic. The PPACA introduces permanent annual productivity adjustments to price updates for most providers (such as hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, a ...[text shortened]... care as we know it has already been killed by Obamacare", and for current seniors to boot.
    So inefficient businesses will become unprofitable rather than their inefficiency being subsidized by the government; tough titty. Presumably they'll be plenty of money in health care so that market forces will encourage new providers to step in. One of the points of the law is that the fee for service model is unsustainable.

As to your last paragraph it's possible that a falsehood will fight the truth to a draw in the public discourse. Personally I have a slightly higher opinion of the intelligence of the American voter.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 23:01
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Budgets require reliable revenue.
    With trillion plus dollar deficits every year? Pfft.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 23:07
    Originally posted by whodey
    With trillion plus dollar deficits every year? Pfft.
    No, budgets require reliable revenue in order to NOT have deficits. Don't you know what a deficit is?

Revenue - spending = ???????? = PROFIT!!!!

If the PROFIT!!!! is negative, we have a deficit, i.e. we are deficient in funds to pay the bills.

The US can't pay it's bills because it doesn't have a solid source of revenue. A good business person who applied his mind to making the government a good business would start hunting for revenue. That means taxes on the money (wherever it happens to be) in order to get money to pay the bills.

Could the USA cut spending? Yeah. Just like many people could "cut spending" by being homeless. Not a good idea.
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 01:451 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Ryan's budget passes the House. Obama's is rejected in the Senate 97-0. We have no budget for his whole Presidency so far.
    Is this piece of rhetorical deceit still floating? What was voted against was not the President’s budget, but a sham. I doubt that any President’s proposed budget has been voted on, let alone passed, as a whole document. That’s not how the budget process works. “The President proposes, Congress disposes.” Presidents with strong opposition in Congress get less of their budget wishes enacted in appropriations bills. Sometimes no budget (in the broader sense) is completed by Congress by the beginning of the fiscal year—hence continuing resolutions.

From the Politifact article cited below:

Such votes are taken "just as a means of embarrassing the president and his party," said Patrick Louis Knudsen, a senior fellow with the conservative Heritage Foundation.

"Usually it’s brought up by the opposition party because they generally anticipate that a president’s budget won’t get very much support especially if it has controversial elements to it," he said.

Other experts agree. Said Steve Ellis, of Taxpayers for Common Sense: "That was pure political theater and was done to score rhetorical points."

And Norman Ornstein, a scholar with the conservative American Enterprise Institute, said, "it doesn’t mean a damn thing. It’s only a symbolic gesture."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/house-and-senate-unanimously-reject-obama-budgets-or-do-they/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/apr/06/mitt-romney/romney-says-obama-failed-pass-budget/

http://nationalpriorities.org/budget-basics/federal-budget-101/federal-budget-process/

STRONG NOTE: I am not accusing you of deceit—only of erroneously passing on a deceitful presentation by others.
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 20:57
    As to your last paragraph it's possible that a falsehood will fight the truth to a draw in the public discourse. Personally I have a slightly higher opinion of the intelligence of the American voter.
    Heh ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SelJ_u-eVR0
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 21:03
    Heh ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SelJ_u-eVR0
    I don't watch youtube links on principle.
  10. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 21:06
    I don't watch youtube links on principle.
    That's kinda dumb, but whatever.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 21:511 edit
    That's kinda dumb, but whatever.
    If you have a point, make it. I'm not going to sift through a video because someone is too lazy to articulate their views; this is a Debates forum. So debate.
  12. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 22:00
    If you have a point, make it. I'm not going to sift through a video because someone is too lazy to articulate their views; this is a Debates forum. So debate.
    Nevermind no1. I wouldn't want you to trouble yourself clicking a link.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree