1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    25 Jan '12 18:33
    Originally posted by skipper2666
    A very large percentage of the Scottish populationn is English and more are moving there every year, it's a real mix of nationalities there. Why do so many English move there....
    Lots of Scots move to England and lots of English to Scotland. That's why, in my opinion, it's quite impractical to base eligibility to vote on the mere accident of where individuals happen to be living at the time the referendum is held.
  2. Shanghai
    Moves
    25 Jan '12 20:24
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Lots of Scots move to England and lots of English to Scotland. That's why, in my opinion, it's quite impractical to base eligibility to vote on the mere accident of where individuals happen to be living at the time the referendum is held.
    Not sure how else you can decide who votes. You could make it a whole UK referendum which oddly enough at the moment might well give more support to the independance vote. Otherwise it has to be for the people who live there to decide whether they consider themselves Scottish, British, English, Welsh or Irish or something else.

I think there are a lot of myths about indpendance.

1) Scotland will not become a third world country
    2) What remains of the UK will not suffer economically, it would be a largely econmically neutral event
    3) An independant Scotland would be some sort of bad neighbour for England
    4) A majority of Scots want independance
    5) A vote for independance would mean independance (as the SNP favour closer EU integration)
  3. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 03:02
    I read that even if they voted for independence the Scottish would still be subject to the English monarchy. Why? No more Kings across the water?
  4. Shanghai
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 03:34
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    I read that even if they voted for independence the Scottish would still be subject to the English monarchy. Why? No more Kings across the water?
    There has not been an "English" monarchy since the 17th century (Elizabeth I). She was succeeded by James VI of Scotland (who was known as James I south of the border).

In the unlikely event Scotland votes for independance they are more likely to retain a monarchy, but this again is their choice.
  5. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 03:44
    Originally posted by deriver69
    There has not been an "English" monarchy since the 17th century (Elizabeth I). She was succeeded by James VI of Scotland (who was known as James I south of the border).

In the unlikely event Scotland votes for independance they are more likely to retain a monarchy, but this again is their choice.
    I stand corrected but I figured since the current family was German then they were more English than British but I plead ignorance of local nomenclature. My question was why retain a non-local monarchy?
  6. Shanghai
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 03:55
    I stand corrected but I figured since the current family was German then they were more English than British but I plead ignorance of local nomenclature. My question was why retain a non-local monarchy?
    They would still be quite local, the Queen would probably like the idea of spending more time in Balmoral. Maybe they could choose to make Princess Anne queen, she is a fan and patron of scottish rugby after all.
  7. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 16:25
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    You do know that this argument has been debunked as utter garbish, don't you?

Scottish gas, Whiskey (largest UK export), beef, salmon, sheep, water.
    Not to mention that the venison can feed the population alone.

Now, let's see what the English have done for the Scots...
    - Closed the mining industry
    - Outsourced the ship building industry (to Germa ...[text shortened]... sons) a bad name abroad.

Yeah... Scotland has everything to wish for from the bloody union.
    Thousands of Irish people fought in the first and secound world wars ,are you saying if Scotland was independant no Scots would have fought ?
    The mining industry didnt just close in Scotland and cheap labour in asia killed the ship building indusry up and down the uk .
    Are you saying if Scotland was independant it's ship building ,mining etc would be ok now ?
    How do you think Scotland would have got it's oil up from the bottom of the north sea bed , swim down and bring it up in buckets ?
    If they want to leave the uk good luck to them .
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 05:39
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Thousands of Irish people fought in the first and secound world wars ,are you saying if Scotland was independant no Scots would have fought ?
    The mining industry didnt just close in Scotland and cheap labour in asia killed the ship building indusry up and down the uk .
    Are you saying if Scotland was independant it's ship building ,mining etc would be ok ...[text shortened]... bed , swim down and bring it up in buckets ?
    If they want to leave the uk good luck to them .
    I'm not talking about the second world war, you tit.

I'm on about Afghanistan and Iraq.
  9. Shanghai
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 07:10

Afghanistan would probably depend on whether they were a member of NATO, there are over 40 countries involved in Afghanistan. The Iraq war was supported by what was at the time the most popular political party in Scotland.

I think only in my little corner of England (West Country) did the one party against the Iraq war have significant support.
  10. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 12:461 edit

No Scots want to fight in any war as you put it . Why do you think Scots join the British army ? Knuckle head .
  11. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 16:10
    Some historical background for the non-Brits:

The Scottish House of Stuart occupied the British throne (ie, were monarchs of both England and Scotland) from 1603 to 1714. The largely Protestant English were disturbed by the fact that the last male Stuart monarch (James II) was a Catholic convert, but were reassured by the fact that his daughters, who would eventually succeed him, were Protestants. Accordingly, when in 1688 he fathered a son (who would take precedence over his sisters in the succession), James was deposed and replaced, at the invitation of parliament, by his daughter Mary and her Dutch Calvinist husband William (they reigned jointly, in a situation unique in British history). This is known as the "Glorious Revolution".

However, neither Mary nor her sister Anne, who was to suceed William, had surviving children, and therefore the Act of Settlement, 1701, specifically excluded Catholics from the throne, and provided for Anne to be succeeded by her nearest Protestant relative, Sophia, who was mother of the Elector (Prince) of Hanover. As it happened, Sophia died before Anne and so her son, George I, became King of England in 1714.

The fact that the Scottish house of Stuart had now been deposed led to some discontent in Scotland, and the Scots mounted two major rebellions (in 1715 and 1745) in favour of James II's son, the so-called "James III". These were not attempts to win Scottish independence, but attempts to restore the House of Stuart to the throne of Britain as a whole. Both were defeated, so the House of Hanover remained on the British throne and are the ancestors of today's royal family.

In the light of all this, it might not be surprising if an independent Scotland sought to repudiate the monarch. But it should be observed that the present Queen's mother was a Scot, and so Elizabeth II is the most Scottish monarch of Britain since Queen Anne.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 17:43
    I vote yes. Independence for Scotland... United Ireland for Ireland... Wales continues to suck on the English tit. Everyone's happy.
  13. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 12:22
    Originally posted by Trev33
    I vote yes. Independence for Scotland... United Ireland for Ireland... Wales continues to suck on the English tit. Everyone's happy.
    Here's one from the latest headlines .
    "Bra tcoon , Scottish lingerie tycoon Michelle Mone has threatened to move her buisness and herself to England if Scotland votes yes in an independance referendum "
    I suppose you could say alot of "tits"in Scotland will lose their support !😉
  14. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 23:44

With everything your saying I have to say, sir, that it is you who is the 'Tit'.. never heard such rubbish to include alot of persons in this thread. If they (Our Scottish neighbours) want it then get on with it.... So F****** what....this crap happens every couple of years........ Jocks want to be free etc.......tell the English something we don't already know? Vote, vote , vote, oh and while I rant when they do decide to Naff off can they retreat out of Westminster, Unions, NHS, BAE.............
  15. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 23:53
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Trev,

Your a (. .)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree