1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 03:43
    What's this about?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/spain-could-wield-veto-over-scotlands-eu-membership-6292846.html
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 07:43
    That, my friend, is the stench of English fear.

Anything and everything will be drawn out to try to scare the Scots into voting "no" in a referendum on independance.

It's only gonna get worse, the closer to voting it gets.
  3. Joined
    20 Jul '11
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 11:00
    Stench of English fear?

As much as I think the Union is better off, and stronger together, I for one really one wouldn't lose much sleep over Scotland leaving the United Kingdom.

Seriously, if they want to become a third-world country, let them. I'm sick of Scottish animosity toward the English - many have no idea what the Union has done for them.

Seems a strange time to want devolution, when the rest of Europe seems to be powerhousing into one. But like I said, let 'em... I'm past caring about Britishness. I'm English.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 11:12
    Originally posted by DR85

Seriously, if they want to become a third-world country, let them. I'm sick of Scottish animosity toward the English - many have no idea what the Union has done for them.
    Well, pray tell... what has the Union done for Scotland?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 11:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What's this about?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/spain-could-wield-veto-over-scotlands-eu-membership-6292846.html
    First Scotland and then Texas.

It's a Revolution!!!
  6. Joined
    20 Jul '11
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 11:25
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Well, pray tell... what has the Union done for Scotland?
    Ummm, the fact that per head the UK spends more on people living in Scotland than anywhere else, despite, on average the lowest tax contributions from the Scots of anywhere in the Union, I think should set bells ringing...but do you really think all of the roads and infrastructure was built with Scottish money? You think all that NHS was paid for locally? You think Scotland could have built a better health service?

You think Scotland could have afforded to defend itself, now and in 1939?

Like I said though. Let Scotland knock itself out. I am sick and tired of being hated by neighbours I've always been fond of as people.
  7. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 12:081 edit
    Perhaps Scotland, Ireland, Wales, the Isle of Man and Cornwall could unite and form a United Celtic nation? Naw, wouldn't happen.
  8. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 13:27
    That, my friend, is the stench of English fear.

Anything and everything will be drawn out to try to scare the Scots into voting "no" in a referendum on independance.

It's only gonna get worse, the closer to voting it gets.
    Cameron may be afraid of Scots independence, but I'm not sure many other people in England are. According to recent polls, support for Scots independence is actually higher in England than it is in Scotland!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/01/14/scottish-independence-support-for-split-higher-in-uk_n_1206589.html

Support for Scottish independence is higher in England and Wales than it is north of the border, according to a new poll.

Only 26% of voters in Scotland want to break up the Union, compared with 46% who do not, the Survation poll in the Mail on Sunday revealed.

In England and Wales, 29% felt Scotland should quit the UK, with only 40% feeling that it should not.
  9. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 14:11
    Seems a strange time to want devolution, when the rest of Europe seems to be powerhousing into one. But like I said, let 'em... I'm past caring about Britishness. I'm English.
    I wonder if the existence of a supra-national European structure is actually one of the factors that's cementing local feeling in various corners of the EU.
  10. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 14:141 edit
    One problem with arranging a referendum on the question of Scots independence is the matter of who would get to vote in it. My housemate is a Welshman and I asked if he would expect a vote in a hypothetical referendum on Welsh independence. He insisted he ought to be consulted due to his Welsh birth (he's a staunch unionist), and I pointed out that he has actually lived in England since 1997, which is nearly half his life, and thus maybe he was no longer eligible.

On the other hand, what about English people who have lived the majority of their lives in Wales or Scotland? Should they be given a vote? What criteria are going to be used to determine eligibility?
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    24 Jan '12 18:14
    On the other hand, what about English people who have lived the majority of their lives in Wales or Scotland? Should they be given a vote? What criteria are going to be used to determine eligibility?[/b]
    Criteria is based on resident status and voting qualification so anyone eligible to vote in local and uk elections in a scottish constituency will be elogible to vote in the referendum. I am English but have lived in Scotland for 28yrs so I shall be voting.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Jan '12 06:31
    Ummm, the fact that per head the UK spends more on people living in Scotland than anywhere else, despite, on average the lowest tax contributions from the Scots of anywhere in the Union, I think should set bells ringing...but do you really think all of the roads and infrastructure was built with Scottish money? You think all that NHS was paid for locally? You t ...[text shortened]... tself out. I am sick and tired of being hated by neighbours I've always been fond of as people.
    You do know that this argument has been debunked as utter garbish, don't you?

Scottish gas, Whiskey (largest UK export), beef, salmon, sheep, water.
    Not to mention that the venison can feed the population alone.

Now, let's see what the English have done for the Scots...
    - Closed the mining industry
    - Outsourced the ship building industry (to Germany of all bloody places)
    - Used Scottish gas revenues to build Southern English infrastructure and wage wars no Scottish person wants to fight in.
    - Given the Scots (as British pesons) a bad name abroad.

Yeah... Scotland has everything to wish for from the bloody union.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 Jan '12 14:26
    You do know that this argument has been debunked as utter garbish, don't you?

Scottish gas, Whiskey (largest UK export), beef, salmon, sheep, water.
    Not to mention that the venison can feed the population alone.

Now, let's see what the English have done for the Scots...
    - Closed the mining industry
    - Outsourced the ship building industry (to Germa ...[text shortened]... sons) a bad name abroad.

Yeah... Scotland has everything to wish for from the bloody union.
    You didn't mention the great contributions of Scottish engineers to the Imperial project, not to mention countless regiments of Highlanders dying in foreign lands.
  14. Shanghai
    Moves
    25 Jan '12 14:331 edit

Whiskey (largest UK export)
    Whisky I think you mean if it was true (whiskey would be from Ireland). In fact this is totally made up and I do not know where from. Probably not even Scotlands main export. Beverages and Vinegar are the UKs 12th largest export and this includes more than just Whisky.

There is now more support from England for Scotlands independance than there is in Scotland but I think this is because England is waking up to the fact it is the only part of the UK without a Parliament. It may all seem irrelevant if Merkel gets her way within the EU. She is quoted today as saying;

"Over a long process, we will transfer more powers to the [European] Commission, which will then handle what falls within the European remit like a government of Europe. That will require a strong parliament. A kind of second chamber, if you like, will be the council comprising the heads of [national] government."
  15. Standard memberskipper2666
    Why so serious ????
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Moves
    25 Jan '12 18:24
    Stench of English fear?

As much as I think the Union is better off, and stronger together, I for one really one wouldn't lose much sleep over Scotland leaving the United Kingdom.

Se ...[text shortened]... using into one. But like I said, let 'em... I'm past caring about Britishness. I'm English.
    A very large percentage of the Scottish populationn is English and more are moving there every year, it's a real mix of nationalities there. Why do so many English move there.... read your own post, it has the stench of the ignorant yobbish behaviour that prevails in Engerland.

No moaning about Scotland from England when it was Sottish North Sea oil funding the coffers in Westminster.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree