1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 May '13 14:24
    Originally posted by normbenign
    When Nixon was caught in his 2nd term covering up a sloppy burglary, there was bipartisan outrage. These days, it is doubtful that any President would resign or be impeached, because his party is solidified in support. The House Impeached Bill Clinton, but the Senate refused to convict.

The same situation exists today, so that even if Obama were im ...[text shortened]... e brought to light, and even if the top guy isn't touchable, the practices ought to be stopped.
    And even at that, Nixon did not face any jail time.

Again, another example of a system gone awry without checks and balances. It is then no wonder that these scandEls keep popping up. They have no fear and can do as they please with impunity.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 May '13 14:351 edit
    Something else also troubles me.

During the Iran/Contra investigation the press had 24/7 coverage of the hearings of Oliver North. In fact, it made him a celebrity.

Where is the coverage of the Bengazi affair?

Obama drones will insist that the media coverage of the Iran/Contra scandEl was justifiable as where the Bengazi affair is not. If so, who went to jail? Who was punished?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 May '13 14:50
    Originally posted by whodey
    Something else also troubles me.

During the Iran/Contra investigation the press had 24/7 coverage of the hearings of Oliver North. In fact, it made him a celebrity.

Where is the coverage of the Bengazi affair?

Obama drones will insist that the media coverage of the Iran/Contra scandEl was justifiable as where the Bengazi affair is not. If so, who went to jail? Who was punished?
    Re Iran/Contra:

After Independent Counsel Lawrence E. Walsh’s appointment in December 1986, 14 persons were charged with criminal offenses. Eleven persons were convicted, but two convictions were overturned on appeal. Two persons were pardoned before trial and one case was dismissed when the Bush Administration declined to declassify information necessary for trial. On December 24, 1992, President Bush pardoned Caspar W. Weinberger, Duane R. Clarridge, Clair E. George, Elliott Abrams, Alan D. Fiers, Jr., and Robert C. McFarlane.

http://middleeast.about.com/od/usmideastpolicy/a/me081109f.htm

Casper Weinberger was the Secretary of Defense and he was charged with 5 felonies. He was scheduled to go on trial and faced 20 years in prison.
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    12 May '13 15:31
    Would your opinion differ if you were on that embassy staff?
    No.

Would your opinion change on all the embassy attacks that took place under Bush change if you were one of the Americans killed?
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 May '13 17:27
    And even at that, Nixon did not face any jail time.

Again, another example of a system gone awry without checks and balances. It is then no wonder that these scandEls keep popping up. They have no fear and can do as they please with impunity.
    Nixon resigned the Presidency! He escaped prison by Gerald Ford's action. Most Americans thought further punishment to be "piling on".

I don't know what you can suggest that would prevent the abuse of power and the confidence of Presidents that they can cover up scandals.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 May '13 17:29
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    No.

Would your opinion change on all the embassy attacks that took place under Bush change if you were one of the Americans killed?
    The Bush administration took swift and positive actions recognizing attacks on embassies as attacks on the homeland.

It was the Clinton administration that treated such attacks as "criminal violence".
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 May '13 17:34
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Re Iran/Contra:

After Independent Counsel Lawrence E. Walsh’s appointment in December 1986, 14 persons were charged with criminal offenses. Eleven persons were convicted, but two convictions were overturned on appeal. Two persons were pardoned before trial and one case was dismissed when the Bush Administration declined to declassify information neces ...[text shortened]... nd he was charged with 5 felonies. He was scheduled to go on trial and faced 20 years in prison.
    Such is the power of the Presidency, and so it probably will not change the way in which Presidents act in spurious manners. They are confident in their ability to distribute the blame, and to get their pals off.

They tend to justify these actions by the notion that the people involved where doing their patriotic duty. Some probably actually believed this to be so.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    12 May '13 18:26
    The Bush administration took swift and positive actions recognizing attacks on embassies as attacks on the homeland.

It was the Clinton administration that treated such attacks as "criminal violence".
    Is that why there was so many under Bush?
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 May '13 20:16
    Is that why there was so many under Bush?
    Care to elaborate?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 May '13 20:181 edit
    Nixon resigned the Presidency! He escaped prison by Gerald Ford's action. Most Americans thought further punishment to be "piling on".

I don't know what you can suggest that would prevent the abuse of power and the confidence of Presidents that they can cover up scandals.
    Fine. So people are found guilty, only to be pardoned.

Big woopie!!!

Now where is the justice? Where are the checks and balances?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 May '13 20:21
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Re Iran/Contra:

After Independent Counsel Lawrence E. Walsh’s appointment in December 1986, 14 persons were charged with criminal offenses. Eleven persons were convicted, but two convictions were overturned on appeal. Two persons were pardoned before trial and one case was dismissed when the Bush Administration declined to declassify information neces ...[text shortened]... nd he was charged with 5 felonies. He was scheduled to go on trial and faced 20 years in prison.
    As I said, there are no real consequences for these guys. They all end up with a get out of jail free card.

My guess is that the guilty decisions were just for show.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 May '13 20:36
    Fine. So people are found guilty, only to be pardoned.

Big woopie!!!

Now where is the justice? Where are the checks and balances?
    I agree. That's the way it is. Better that in the past there was some accountability, than the present situation where they circle the wagons, and nobody even has to answer hard questions.
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    12 May '13 22:19
    Care to elaborate?
    It's a pretty straight forward question. Why were there so many embassy attacks while Bush was president if him being President was such a difference maker?
  14. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    12 May '13 23:15
    I agree. That's the way it is. Better that in the past there was some accountability, than the present situation where they circle the wagons, and nobody even has to answer hard questions.
    "and nobody even has to answer hard questions."

That makes perfect sense considering there's been nine congressional hearings asking hard questions.

I do understand your frustration. Americans were killed in Benghazi and it's frustrating for you that no matter how hard you Conservatives have tried, you still haven't been successful in exploiting their deaths.
  15. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    12 May '13 23:35
    Bengazi isn't a scandal. It's a "scandal." It exists only in the fantasy of you right wingers who gleefully exploit the deaths of Americans to drum up "controversy."
    I am a liberal. I am a Democrate. Begazi is a scandal. Hopefully a full and transparent investigation can be conducted so our embassies will be properly protected. Obama, Regan, Bush, Clinton ... the lot of them are humans. None of them are gods. Some of them are far more to my liking than others. Stop demonizing and idolizing politiians.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree